Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 09:05 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,802,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
chef, are two ten team divisions even a possibility. i'm thinking mathematically. if you play all division foes (9) and still allow for non-conference games (let's say three, since it's never been less), that's 12 game and you are suddenly in a league where you are only playing your own division.

which sorta makes your division into a league of its own. with ten teams. just like the Pac Ten and the Big Ten (when it was able to count) had.

so why are we going the route of super conferences when the divisions are virtually leagues of their own?

I would imagine from the perspective of scheduling, sixteen may be the max. Sixteen teams would allow for the following scheduling which would be workable:

7 games vs. own division (round robin)
3 games vs. 3 of 8 opponents in other division
2 non-conference games

12 total.
16 team conferences will only further hurt college football imo. As I have said before, you would have a team like say Ohio State, go 4 years without playing Michigan State for example(using your example would mean once every 3 years). I also don't think you will see these schools willing to lose an out of conference game, which means a home game against a weak opponent more often than not. I think you would see 2 games against opponents in the other division and 3 non-conference games. When's the last time Bama, or another big school played 6 true away games? That could very well happen with your above schedule suggestion.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:13 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,878,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plates View Post
You completely ignored most of my post. It does not matter how much money you have because it will not change the amount of time it takes to travel or the fatigue that is a result.
You actually completely ignored my post.

Regardless of the small travel cost they make MUCH more money.

The players can also rest while traveling and before the game, but if it causes significant fatigue im sure you can provide a source to document this. I eagerly await your well thought out response full of evidence that is going to back up your view, that is surely based on fact and not some misinformed personal opinion.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:
did I ever say UMd and Rutgers added $? No. I didn't, cry. I'm saying what the Big Ten is saying about its own expansion. And I don't agree with the Big Ten on it.

I'm saying that the only reason Rutgers and UMd are coming into the Big Ten is that the conference...not me...think it expanding markets for financial gain.

How about the SEC. It's claim: we will only add schools to a state without the SEC. Why? one school buys the market so a second is unnecessary when another school in a new state can end up buying another market.

cry, that's SEC policy, not mine. I'm not the one who would keep TCU or SMU or Baylor or whoever out just because A&M has the Texas market covered. In fact, I don't agree with their policy at all.
Im not so sure UMD or Rutgers will make money for the Big 10. They are fine schools, but dont have the biggest football following. If the expansion lets them tap into their prospective markets it will yield $$$, but if viewership remains or even increases a little they will yield nothing.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:27 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,661,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Im not so sure UMD or Rutgers will make money for the Big 10. They are fine schools, but dont have the biggest football following. If the expansion lets them tap into their prospective markets it will yield $$$, but if viewership remains or even increases a little they will yield nothing.
I can promise you breaking into BIG will fire up any college students. I go to Georgia State. We just got a real ****ty and expensive football team that plays in the Sun Belt..people still enjoy it. Alumni especially

And we're forgetting the academic/research partnerships. You have to look at the schools too. Now that everyone has an academic give-back component, the money they win really do go back to the students.

I think they can muster up football. NJ doesn't really have another school that could do it. Same with Maryland. It was a good move to bring more football to those states.

I agree though. You're spot on with the policy, and that financial gain is important to schools. It's not as corporate as you think. A school's job is not to provide good football. Money = important.

The only exception is the Duke-UNC deal. I don't think either school will join the SEC without the other. North Carolina market = big $$$ for the SEC..and basketball would be awesome.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:20 AM

1,202 posts, read 1,252,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
You actually completely ignored my post.

Regardless of the small travel cost they make MUCH more money.

The players can also rest while traveling and before the game, but if it causes significant fatigue im sure you can provide a source to document this. I eagerly await your well thought out response full of evidence that is going to back up your view, that is surely based on fact and not some misinformed personal opinion.
Actually, I have covered your ignorant posts, including this one.

And, wow, the first link on Google! That was difficult to find!:

Understand travel fatigue and jet lag

Just because you lack the knowledge and hold a misinformed personal opinion does not make something untrue.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:

Just because you lack the knowledge and hold a misinformed personal opinion does not make something untrue.
Fail.

Per your own article the symptoms, which are very slight, are easily treated.

I have been patient with you plates but you have no argument. It is apparent you have no clue what you are talking about. However, I do appluad you for making a fool of yourself.

You have yet to cover anything other than refuting yourself.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:55 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,836,776 times
Quote:

hey, plates, i see that you like me, are a Chicago guy. So imagine that that Cry's brave, new, exciting, better, fantastic world of college football became a reality. You know his routine:

conferences should go national in scope, or at least shed their regional quality and spread out as far as they could.

so let's put it to the test the way it work out for us Windy City guys:

Let's take the Illini as an example. According to cry, there is so much to be gained from being part of a far flung set up, of joining up with schools far away.

So imagine that Illinois could get the beauty of this great concept. It's simple:

instead of a league that Illinois gets to but heads on a fairly regular basis with Iowa, Wisconsin, Northwestern, Purdue, and Indiana, we make a switch and Illinois gets to switch to links with Arizona, Stanford, South Carolina, BC, and Oklahoma.

wouldn't that be great. Games played in Palo Alto instead of Evanston. First match up with South Carolina (a natural rival) as opposed to close to a 100 games and commonality with Purdue.

If one takes $ out of the equation (you know, that very stuff that cry says doesn't count but even the conferences themselves fully admit to be a lucrative move to acquire new markets), could you name one good thing that comes from the far flung empire to go along with the zillion bad ones that you could easily generate?

but, you know, it's kind of hard to argue with a guy who believes there is plenty oil still out there, which can be easily extracted and will not be expensive, and, there is no such thing as manmade climate change and increasing our use of fossil fuels is a good idea.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
hey, plates, i see that you like me, are a Chicago guy. So imagine that that Cry's brave, new, exciting, better, fantastic world of college football became a reality. You know his routine:

conferences should go national in scope, or at least shed their regional quality and spread out as far as they could.

so let's put it to the test the way it work out for us Windy City guys:

Let's take the Illini as an example. According to cry, there is so much to be gained from being part of a far flung set up, of joining up with schools far away.

So imagine that Illinois could get the beauty of this great concept. It's simple:

instead of a league that Illinois gets to but heads on a fairly regular basis with Iowa, Wisconsin, Northwestern, Purdue, and Indiana, we make a switch and Illinois gets to switch to links with Arizona, Stanford, South Carolina, BC, and Oklahoma.

wouldn't that be great. Games played in Palo Alto instead of Evanston. First match up with South Carolina (a natural rival) as opposed to close to a 100 games and commonality with Purdue.

If one takes $ out of the equation (you know, that very stuff that cry says doesn't count but even the conferences themselves fully admit to be a lucrative move to acquire new markets), could you name one good thing that comes from the far flung empire to go along with the zillion bad ones that you could easily generate?

but, you know, it's kind of hard to argue with a guy who believes there is plenty oil still out there, which can be easily extracted and will not be expensive, and, there is no such thing as manmade climate change and increasing our use of fossil fuels is a good idea.
You seem to be confused. I never called for a college football NFL where a team in Chicago would be paired with a team in Arizona.

I just pointed out the current system works and ACC teams will go to the Big 10, big 12, and SEC.

I also never stated an opinion on climate change. So your statement I don't believe in it is a strawman irrelevant to the conversation. I actually do believe in manmade climate change but don't let that stop your strawman. Even if I didn't believe in manmade climate change it would be irrelevant to a discussion on college football conferences.

At this point you have gone full retard. You don't have any real arguments so you are resorting to college football is a big cause of global warming and will lead to an energy crisis. Perhaps you should bring the Nazis into this discussion while you are at it.

It is simply about money. Good franchises coming together makes them more even accounting for the added distance to travel. A few extra hours of travel and crossing one time zone is not much of a burden.

The worst part about you is your argent doesn't even make sense. So the Big 12 will break up because it is too far flung, travel cost are too high, and the ability to travel won't exist in the future. So instead they will join the PAC. Do you realize that is even more far flung. Morgantown is closer to UT and Oklahoma than Oregon. You would be increasing distances by joining the PAC. I guess you failed geography class in school.

Plates was complaining about time zones. Big 12 is in 2 time zones. If PAC took a big 12 team it would be across 3 time zones.

Not only is your logic flawed but YOUR own arguments work against you.

So yes it is hard to argue with someone who has facts, knows what they are talking about, and calls you out when you try to make a point through logic fallacies and ignorance. Anyway you believe in unicorns so I win.

Last edited by cry_havoc; 12-19-2012 at 09:32 AM..

Old 12-19-2012, 10:25 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,802,896 times
So....about that conference realignment........

Old 12-19-2012, 12:20 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,661,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
So....about that conference realignment........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football