Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 02:48 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,627,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
It would have to be a playoff system that would allow teams 1 through 8 all equal opportunity to get to the championship game. And then how are you gonna keep teams #9 and #10 (undoubtably also one loss teams) from crying?

Equal opportunity? No problem, just call Al Sharpton and he can work on those details.

#9 and #10 crying? I don't care. Shouldn't have lost and they wouldn't be in that position. Plus, I'd rather them be crying that #3 and #4 teams who have just as legitimate of an argument to be in the championship game as whomever is picked. #9 and #10 would only be crying that they should have been let in the playoffs. That would be like a couple of NFL teams whining that there should be an extra wild card, no one would care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 03:04 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,998,052 times
I've been boycotting college football for years. I watch a KU game every now and again because that is the university I support but overall I dont watch games or even follow whats going on.

Something needs to be done. The entire system as it is is a complete joke.

There needs to be a 16 team playoff. There is approximately one month from the time conference championship games are played to the time the final game is played in early January. That's four saturdays that a 16 team playoff can be played out. You can use the current bowls as those playoff games so sponsorships stay intact.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:56 AM

30 posts, read 150,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
People should just boycott Div I-A altogether and just start following Div I-AA, II, or III. Those levels haven't been ruined by corporate bottom lines.
I agree, the other divisions don't seem to be ruined by having a playoff.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
I've been boycotting college football for years. I watch a KU game every now and again because that is the university I support but overall I dont watch games or even follow whats going on.

Something needs to be done. The entire system as it is is a complete joke.

There needs to be a 16 team playoff. There is approximately one month from the time conference championship games are played to the time the final game is played in early January. That's four saturdays that a 16 team playoff can be played out. You can use the current bowls as those playoff games so sponsorships stay intact.
I agree about the dead time between the last regular season game and when the bowls start. Every year I start to hate it more and more. When I was younger the top bowl games were all on New years and maybe the day after.. That made for one of the best sports days of any sport in the world.

They could cut down the regular season by a few games and add playoff rounds. Everyone else who still had a 6 win season could perhaps set up the same boring bowl games most of us don't wan't to see now.

Old 11-26-2008, 02:53 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,380,171 times
I think a playoff is harder to pull off in college football than college hoops. For one thing, football is a full contact sport, with the chance of injury greater. Imagine a 16 team playoff. The winning team would have to play four games in what a span of a week or two? Not good. Remember, these are college student athletes. With so many games squeezed in, fatigue sets in, which means a greater chance of injury, not to mention less than stellar play. Not sure we'd see the best of these teams under this scenario.

An 8-team playoff might work if spread over 3 weeks. That's a game a week for the top two winning teams. In addition to the playoff games, bowl games could be used for those teams that didn't make the top 8 team playoff.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:41 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,290,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post

An 8-team playoff might work if spread over 3 weeks. That's a game a week for the top two winning teams. In addition to the playoff games, bowl games could be used for those teams that didn't make the top 8 team playoff.

That seems to make the most sense. However would you have and average Pac-10 team playing an average Big Ten team in the Rose Bowl? It seems with a playoff it would diminish the major bowl games. Dont get me wrong though, I want a playoff.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:32 AM

2,541 posts, read 11,333,849 times
Just use the bowls as playoff games

the actual championship game will not be a bowl and will just be its own game, and will just be played in a city of the NCAA's choosing

Old 11-26-2008, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
Just use the bowls as playoff games

the actual championship game will not be a bowl and will just be its own game, and will just be played in a city of the NCAA's choosing
That would probably be a good way to do it. Use the Orange, Fietsa, Suger, and Rose for the 1st round of the playoffs on New Years Day, and have two more to decide a champion.

If they are concerned about the students playing too many games thay can cut down the regular season 2 games and make sure that everyone plays an equal amount before the bowls start. that isn't always the case now. December could still be a rest month for players with minor injuries.

I'm a HS Football Coach and we have a more organized system at our level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football