Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 07:10 PM

1,821 posts, read 5,149,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesside View Post
Please...

You're claim to fame: Beating up on an overrated Oregon team that is #23 today, and was #17 at the time you beat them by 5 points. I dont think there is much contention that the PAC-10 this year is weak.
Other than that, the WAC's "elite" is: Hawaii 7-5; LA Tech 7-5; Nevada 7-5; and Fresno St 7-5. None, except BSU, that is ranked. BRAVO.

Whereas the MWC stands at - Utah 12-0; TCU 10-2 (the two losses coming from top 10 teams); BYU 10-2 (BYU's only two losses by ranked teams in their conference); even AirForce at 8-4.
TCU ranked as high as #13. Today is #14
BYU ranked as high as #9. Today is #18
And of course, Utah today is #6.

There is no argument that Utah has had to play a tougher schedule, even though admittedly we haven't played a formidable non-conference opponent (but neither have you), being that we are in a much tougher MWC and will deservedly get a shot at a BCS bowl. I can however get over BSU not playing. Its what happens when your conference is weak and you dont play much of anyone worth mentioning.

I would say that ranking BSU at #9 is being very generous and you should count your blessings that you aren't ranked behind TCU since their only losses were against Utah #8 and Oklahoma #2 (at the time); and Ohio State who has beaten two ranked opponents and their two losses are from top 5 teams!
But I dont think that you are "entitled" to any BCS bid because you are undefeated considering your strength of schedule.
So, if I may ask, would you let Ohio State or TCU into the last BCS spot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 07:11 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,852,058 times
not really sure why you keep using words like "you" and "your." neither of us are part of a team. I am also a gator fan, and could care less about how it plays out. I am hoping that the gators beat bama in the SEC championship game and wins the NC.

Quote:
Please...

You're claim to fame: Beating up on an overrated Oregon team that is #23 today, and was #17 at the time you beat them by 5 points. I dont think there is much contention that the PAC-10 this year is weak.
Other than that, the WAC's "elite" is: Hawaii 7-5; LA Tech 7-5; Nevada 7-5; and Fresno St 7-5. None, except BSU, that is ranked. BRAVO.

Whereas the MWC stands at - Utah 12-0; TCU 10-2 (the two losses coming from top 10 teams); BYU 10-2 (BYU's only two losses by ranked teams in their conference); even AirForce at 8-4.
TCU ranked as high as #13. Today is #14
BYU ranked as high as #9. Today is #18
And of course, Utah today is #6.

There is no argument that Utah has had to play a tougher schedule, even though admittedly we haven't played a formidable non-conference opponent (but neither have you), being that we are in a much tougher MWC and will deservedly get a shot at a BCS bowl. I can however get over BSU not playing. Its what happens when your conference is weak and you dont play much of anyone worth mentioning.

I would say that ranking BSU at #9 is being very generous and you should count your blessings that you aren't ranked behind TCU since their only losses were against Utah #8 and Oklahoma #2 (at the time); and Ohio State who has beaten two ranked opponents and their two losses are from top 5 teams!
But I dont think that you are "entitled" to any BCS bid because you are undefeated considering your strength of schedule.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:12 PM

4,077 posts, read 5,608,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
no no. I agree with you. I would like to see utah and boise. I am talking about another bowl where ohio state and ball state could play.
oops I got it, non-bcs. Yeah I would love to see Ball State beat OSU, that would be great!!!

Quote:
I have no problem with utah being in. I would like to see boise play a powerhouse though. they seem to be a pretty good team.
I would say the same about Utah, thats why I think it would be GREAT if they matched up. That could also put texass against 'bama.... simply awesome!!

Old 12-01-2008, 07:13 PM

8,981 posts, read 17,294,566 times
Quote:
no no. I agree with you. I would like to see utah and boise. I am talking about another bowl where ohio state and ball state could play.

It is a long shot; but the Indianapolis Star ran an article about Ball State and Boise State trying to set it up for them to meet in a bowl. I got the impression that it was unlikely, as the easiest path to this is the Humanitarian Bowl in Boise. Ball State would rather play in the Motor City Bowl against the Big Ten than travel to Boise.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:20 PM

521 posts, read 1,629,796 times
Quote:
not really sure why you keep using words like "you" and "your." neither of us are part of a team. I am also a gator fan, and could care less about how it plays out. I am hoping that the gators beat bama in the SEC championship game and wins the NC.
Sorry, force of habit. Im a UofU alum so I tend to say we (even though Ive never played for the Utes ). I was saying "you" and "your" since you're backing BSU...you get the point. I normally get into this "we" "you" mindframe since Im usually arguing with ZOO people (BYU) and/or people from Berkeley/UCLA since I also go USC.

Last edited by wesside; 12-01-2008 at 07:23 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 12-01-2008, 07:25 PM

that is assuming the gators beat alabama. just because they have a boring offense, does not make them a bad team. they are ball control. I don't look past them. my main concern is the gators beating the tide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
oops I got it, non-bcs. Yeah I would love to see Ball State beat OSU, that would be great!!!

I would say the same about Utah, thats why I think it would be GREAT if they matched up. That could also put texass against 'bama.... simply awesome!!

Old 12-01-2008, 07:27 PM

I love the undefeated mid majors creating turmoil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
It is a long shot; but the Indianapolis Star ran an article about Ball State and Boise State trying to set it up for them to meet in a bowl. I got the impression that it was unlikely, as the easiest path to this is the Humanitarian Bowl in Boise. Ball State would rather play in the Motor City Bowl against the Big Ten than travel to Boise.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:30 PM

I am not knocking either team. they both had incredible seasons. I would like to see them both in a bcs bowl. I would also like to see them play one another. I don't knock utah. their former coach is the coach of the gators!

Quote:
Sorry, force of habit. Im a UofU alum so I tend to say we (even though Ive never played for the Utes ). I was saying "you" and "your" since you're backing BSU...you get the point. I normally get into this "we" "you" mindframe since Im usually arguing with ZOO people (BYU) and/or people from Berkeley/UCLA since I also go USC.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:41 PM

521 posts, read 1,629,796 times
Quote:
I am not knocking either team. they both had incredible seasons. I would like to see them both in a bcs bowl. I would also like to see them play one another. I don't knock utah. their former coach is the coach of the gators!
For sure. Im not knocking BSU either, in fact, I think the best scenario would be Utah v. BSU (though they wouldnt let it happen).

I would also like to see BSU in the MWC. I do think however that BSU needs to, and should play at least one more tough opponent that is ranked before receiving serious considerations. As their fate turned out however they only got to play one ranked team (an overrated Oregon) and Fresno has not been great either. The same fate happened to USC since they're ranked #5 yet the PAC-10 sucks.
Its what happens and The WAC isnt doing BSU any favors and think they are deservedly somewhere behind Utah in the rankings.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:54 PM

I am a playoff guy. both boise and utah have been screwed by the BCS.

Quote:
For sure. Im not knocking BSU either, in fact, I think the best scenario would be Utah v. BSU (though they wouldnt let it happen).

I would also like to see BSU in the MWC. I do think however that BSU needs to, and should play at least one more tough opponent that is ranked before receiving serious considerations. As their fate turned out however they only got to play one ranked team (an overrated Oregon) and Fresno has not been great either. The same fate happened to USC since they're ranked #5 yet the PAC-10 sucks.
Its what happens and The WAC isnt doing BSU any favors and think they are deservedly somewhere behind Utah in the rankings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football