Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 02:26 PM

3,564 posts, read 5,516,210 times

Advertisements

I figured this place could use a thread dedicated to only the "non-BCS" teams.

Anything goes.

Who do you pull for? Did you go there? Currently enrolled? What made you start pulling for them? Anything exciting (stadium expansions, etc)?

For me...its ECU. I was born and raised in Charlotte, NC. Had a decent GPA in high-school (about 3.25 and a 1100 SAT) but never wanted to go to one of the two "major" schools in NC (UNC or NCSU). I dunno...I kinda like straying from the pack. I went up there freshman year with a long-time buddy. We were dormmates. Once I got up there I loved it. Still love it and try to recruit people all the time.

We had a decent year last year (great start, bad middle, pretty good end)
We were ranked 17 preseason in SI, unranked in most others.

Stadium currently holds 43,000. Going to 50,000 after this year.

We return all but 3 (I think) starters from last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 06:52 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,908,523 times
TCU fan right here....

Located in Fort Worth, TX, TCU will be the closest to an NFL team Fort Worth will have (within the city limits, at least....).

The Frogs got shafted by the Big XII, giving that last spot to Baylor instead of TCU..... wow, look how successful that was.

Amon G. Carter Stadium is the home field and hosts the Armed Forces Bowl every New Years Eve.

The campus is beautiful, the city supports it to the fullest, and with the history and legends like Sammy Baugh, Davy O'Brian, Randy White, Bob Lily, and LaDainian Tomlinson, the tradition of the two time National Champs continues.

GO FROGS!

Old 05-18-2009, 07:19 PM

4,077 posts, read 5,608,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
TCU fan right here....

Located in Fort Worth, TX, TCU will be the closest to an NFL team Fort Worth will have (within the city limits, at least....).

The Frogs got shafted by the Big XII, giving that last spot to Baylor instead of TCU..... wow, look how successful that was.

Amon G. Carter Stadium is the home field and hosts the Armed Forces Bowl every New Years Eve.

The campus is beautiful, the city supports it to the fullest, and with the history and legends like Sammy Baugh, Davy O'Brian, Randy White, Bob Lily, and LaDainian Tomlinson, the tradition of the two time National Champs continues.

GO FROGS!
Off topic, Kurt Thomas!! Has to be the greatest Frog evar!!! Love what you guys do with the color purple. Nice uni's!! I think the Baylor thing has to do more with their B-ball program, although this year, I think The Bears might go bowling for the first time in over 17 years!!

You guys know what non-BCS team I root for...Tulsa Golden Hurricane. They have been very solid for the last 4-5 years. They have an exciting freshman Shavodrick Beaver (QB) who decommitted from UM (wolverines) to come to Tulsa. Also the freshman all-american Damaris Johnson (180 all purpose yds/gm last year) is back for his true sophomore year, watching that guy is worth the price of admission.

Of course I expect them to go 13-1. They have a favorable schedule, except for having to play at "The Holy Land" (The University of Oklahoma). They have ECU, Houston and BSU at home. If they can look decent at OU and beat a top 15 BSU team and win the rest, a top 15-20 will not be out of the question.

The only problem is that they would have to go undefeated to make it to the BCS, that's just not going to happen. Top ranked non-BCS team? possible.

Glad to see that they have 4, yes 4, nationally televised games on ESPN. (BSU, Tulane, ECU (HUGE home game, looking for revenge), and UTEP.) (2 Wednesday night games, 1 Friday night, and 1 Sunday night)

I can hardly wait, the remodeled stadium is great and the atmosphere is unreal!!!

Old 05-19-2009, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Off topic, Kurt Thomas!! Has to be the greatest Frog evar!!! Love what you guys do with the color purple. Nice uni's!! I think the Baylor thing has to do more with their B-ball program, although this year, I think The Bears might go bowling for the first time in over 17 years!!

You guys know what non-BCS team I root for...Tulsa Golden Hurricane. They have been very solid for the last 4-5 years. They have an exciting freshman Shavodrick Beaver (QB) who decommitted from UM (wolverines) to come to Tulsa. Also the freshman all-american Damaris Johnson (180 all purpose yds/gm last year) is back for his true sophomore year, watching that guy is worth the price of admission.

Of course I expect them to go 13-1. They have a favorable schedule, except for having to play at "The Holy Land" (The University of Oklahoma). They have ECU, Houston and BSU at home. If they can look decent at OU and beat a top 15 BSU team and win the rest, a top 15-20 will not be out of the question.

The only problem is that they would have to go undefeated to make it to the BCS, that's just not going to happen. Top ranked non-BCS team? possible.

Glad to see that they have 4, yes 4, nationally televised games on ESPN. (BSU, Tulane, ECU (HUGE home game, looking for revenge), and UTEP.) (2 Wednesday night games, 1 Friday night, and 1 Sunday night)

I can hardly wait, the remodeled stadium is great and the atmosphere is unreal!!!

Yeah they've been consistently good lately. I'm looking forward to the rematch myself. Although I know it'll be tougher to come out with a W this time.

I think we'll have about 4 or 5 national games as well. I didnt know the Tulsa game was so that's good. VT at home on Thursday night. Probably get the game vs UNC in chapel hill on TV. WVU in Morgantown is usually always on there and maybe App State opening weekend?? (I dont know about that, though) Maybe UCF and/or Southern Miss.

Tulsa has a new stadium right? I know its small but put together very well IIRC.

Old 05-19-2009, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
TCU fan right here....

GO FROGS!
TCU has broken the hearts of many ECU fans but I remember the game in 2001 when you were still in CUSA (along with Louisville, Cincy, etc). We started off with a big lead but almost gave it away. We ended up winning but I think you guys beat us in a bowl that year or the next.

Old 05-19-2009, 06:59 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,294,566 times
I am an alum of a Division II school; can I still play with you guys in this thread?

Old 05-19-2009, 07:05 AM

As far as famous alumni. Not too many but we have had Sandra Bullock, Vince McMahon (WWF or is it WWE now? owner). David Garrard. Chris Johnson from last year's draft. The current Ms USA/Ms NC is a student at ECU. Jeff Hammond (only the NASCAR fans would know him). Emily Proctor (blonde lady on CSI Miami). Chad Tracy (Arizon Diamondbacks), Kay Yow (NCSU womens BB coach that died last year).

NFL (current): Vonta Leach, Terrance Copper, Aundrae Allison, Chris Johnson, David Garrard, Davon Drew,

Algae Crumpler's dad and brother (too bad we couldnt get him to play for us), Jeff Blake, Ernest Bynar. Robert Jones.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:16 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,294,566 times
USI! USI! USI!

That is right, I am an alum of the University of Southern Indiana:

The most famous person associated with USI is not actually an alum of the school, it is former basketball coach Bruce Pearl. He won a national title in 1995 and has a street named after him near the campus in Evansville.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I am an alum of a Division II school; can I still play with you guys in this thread?

Absolutely!

This is basically to exclude anyone from the ACC, Big East, Big 10, Big 12, Pac 10 and SEC. They already get all the money anyways.

Oh...and no Notre Dame.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:13 AM

What would you all consider your school's biggest win?

I would say ours has to be in 1999 against #9 Miami. The week before a hurricane came though eastern NC. The town flooded (one of the places I stayed at a few years later was right beside the river..I think the water was about 20+ over the bank, up to the roof of a house on stilts).

They had to cancel school and the games were played 1.5hrs down the road in Raleigh NC and NCSU's stadium. We won and tore down the goal post and walked it down I440.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football