Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 03:56 PM

573 posts, read 971,331 times

Advertisements

I think with a college degree, specifics are important. Someone with a bachelor of arts degree will probably have a harder time finding a job then someone who graduated with some sort of business finance degree. If you don't have a specific destination in mind when in college, then yeah, it is less then useless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2011, 04:25 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,524,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
This is true. This is the college graduate's recession. This recession has basically made every high school guidance counselor my generation had growing up into big fat liars. The smartest thing to do right now is go to trade school and learn a trade. Trades cannot be offshored and they are in high demand right now so finding a job is fairly easy. Yes, its hard work and its messy, far different from the posh office job you were promised growing up, but its the best way to have a secure financial future in America.

I graduated in December 2007 with an IT degree that I am not using and more than likely will never use again. If I had known about the recession back in 2005, I would have skipped college entirely. Wasn't worth the time, money, and effort.
There really aren't any statistics to back that up. IT isn't a field that really has many issues overall. You can find specific examples in any field.

I don't disagree however that a trade is a bad idea for people who are going to be going to a lower tier school. If you are a kid who can get into a top 100 University your earnings and employment are still going to be much better off than not going to college.

Lets not act like a trade is a certain way to get a job either. The housing bust showed that.

Old 05-08-2011, 04:28 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,524,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebri View Post
I think with a college degree, specifics are important. Someone with a bachelor of arts degree will probably have a harder time finding a job then someone who graduated with some sort of business finance degree. If you don't have a specific destination in mind when in college, then yeah, it is less then useless.
That wasn't the case five years ago but you are probably correct now. Disagree that you have to have destination in mind when you start. I knew plenty of kids who were brilliant but changed majors various times. When you have those sort of smarts you are going to be successful in whatever you decide on.

Old 05-08-2011, 04:29 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphalogica View Post
One of the biggest sayings in investing is "past performance is not a guarantee of future returns."

Life changes, the economy changes, the world changes.
That is one of the biggest sayings but even though, past performance is still one of the dominant indicators across the industry.

Old 05-08-2011, 07:18 PM

1,956 posts, read 4,877,566 times
Like a talk show host said on Friday, a diploma is just a piece of paper.

Old 05-08-2011, 07:38 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,019,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony22 View Post
Like a talk show host said on Friday, a diploma is just a piece of paper.
So are bills.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:29 PM

547 posts, read 939,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
There really aren't any statistics to back that up.
CNN Money did a report and said there were more unemployed college grads compared to unemployed high school dropouts. I don't know where they got all of those numbers, but then again I don't know where the government gets all those numbers telling the percentage of unemployed people across the country.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:39 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryhoyarbie View Post
CNN Money did a report and said there were more unemployed college grads compared to unemployed high school dropouts. I don't know where they got all of those numbers, but then again I don't know where the government gets all those numbers telling the percentage of unemployed people across the country.
The accuracy of the reports are questionable, but the numbers are gathered from unemployment offices, paychex, adp, etc and irs.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:09 PM

1,956 posts, read 4,877,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
So are bills.
Too bad we have to pay it

Old 05-08-2011, 11:00 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,869,787 times
yea its not true, both are worth nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities