Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 08:53 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,150,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by barney_rubble View Post
Actually, if you read the post containing that link above, you'll see that the unemployment rate for college grads is indeed lower than for high school dropouts.

A higher number of unemployed doesn't imply a higher unemployment rate unless the population sizes are the same.
Lol, that person clearly didn't get a college education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 08:58 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,698,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryhoyarbie View Post
Thank you for telling me something I found out 6 years ago.

Actually, if you click on a link someone posted several posts above, you'll see there are more college graduates unemployed compared to high school dropouts.
If you are talking about this link: Table A-4. Employment status of the civilian population 25 years and over by educational attainment

then you are not looking at the big picture. It shows that the unemployment rate for college graduates is lower than the rate for high school dropouts.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:47 AM

547 posts, read 939,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
If you are talking about this link: Table A-4. Employment status of the civilian population 25 years and over by educational attainment

then you are not looking at the big picture. It shows that the unemployment rate for college graduates is lower than the rate for high school dropouts.
Your link provides a better picture of the unemployment rate between college grads verses high school dropouts.

Quote:
Actually, if you read the post containing that link above, you'll see that the unemployment rate for college grads is indeed lower than for high school dropouts.
"There are currently a record number of unemployed college graduates seeking work. So many, in fact, that they outnumber high school dropouts on the job hunt."

That was taken from the first paragraph from the report CNN did.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:56 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,523,507 times
Quote:
Thank you for telling me something I found out 6 years ago.

Actually, if you click on a link someone posted several posts above, you'll see there are more college graduates unemployed compared to high school dropouts.

Depends on what you get the degree in. You get a degree in nursing, you'll have a job. You get a degree in English, then what kind of jobs can you get with that? You might be better off with a high school diploma than a college degree that doesn't help you. At least when you apply to low wage jobs you don't have to be rejected for being over qualified simply because you have a bachelors degree.

You do realize UPS drivers make good money, more so than teachers and being a UPS driver doesn't require a college degree. But shhh.....high school counselors aren't supposed to say those things.

Touchy area......There are people in their 30's who have masters degrees who are waiting tables because there aren't any jobs in their field of study..........To say the 30 year old college graduate who's a cashier is the problem isn't identifying the problem. The person might just be experiencing hard times trying to get a better paying job.
Again. Using an example of a very small minority is useless. It's like the person who read an article on a Harvard grad who is a cashier.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:29 AM

1,956 posts, read 4,877,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Hmmm. My boyfriend has the dreaded liberal arts degree (as do I, and have been continually employed in fields relevant to said degree since graduating over a decade ago). He has a degree in English. With said degree, he works a corporate job as a fraud investigator and intelligence analyst in a major company's forensic accounting unit. Prior to that, he worked for the National Park Service and in IT for a medical supply company, among other jobs.

Both instances are anecdotal. Your friend's experience doesn't anymore mean that those with meteorology degrees are doomed to retail positions than my boyfriend's means that those with humanities degrees will invariably be able to find employment in a varied number of disparate fields. But both do serve to illustrate that there are no guarantees that x degree = y employment being available to you, and that a degree in one particular area doesn't necessarily knock you out of the running for jobs that don't, at a glance, seem to be hugely connected to one's major course of study. So much is dependent upon so many different variables...there's no one litmus test for employability. There's timing to consider, econonomic landscape factors, job market saturation, etc., as well. It's not as simple as "This degree gets you this job," as I think everyone is well aware.

That said, I still do maintain that more training is likely to be more valuable than less training, no matter the field. For many fields, that's going to entail some post-secondary study of some sort (and actually utilizing the study opportunities to their fullest possible extent, not just mailing it in at Kegstand U. and thinking that's good enough and now you're owed a great job, but that's a whole other discussion).
It's a shame because my friend spent a lot of money in meteorology school.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:20 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,231,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphalogica View Post
One of the biggest sayings in investing is "past performance is not a guarantee of future returns."

Life changes, the economy changes, the world changes.
The world isn't changing in a direction where "less education is better than more education"

The US lags behind other developed nations in terms of post secondary education.

A college degree is still preferable over a high school diploma in all measurable aspects: lifetime earnings potential, competitive edge in hiring, lower rate of unemployment...

Not EVERYONE needs a college education, but for those who have aspirations towards careers rather than jobs....it is still the best investment in one's own future.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Your link provides a better picture of the unemployment rate between college grads verses high school dropouts.

"There are currently a record number of unemployed college graduates seeking work. So many, in fact, that they outnumber high school dropouts on the job hunt."

That was taken from the first paragraph from the report CNN did.
Why did you post this?

You were the one that erroneously commented on a previous poster's assertion that the "rate" of unemployment for college grad's was lower than the "rate" of unemployment for high school dropouts...

You commented on the "number" of each group in response to another posters comment on the "rate"....

I think the rest of us were already clear on the concept that a high school dropout has a higher risk of being unemployed than a college grad....

Old 05-10-2011, 03:32 PM

867 posts, read 2,978,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
The world isn't changing in a direction where "less education is better than more education"

The US lags behind other developed nations in terms of post secondary education.

A college degree is still preferable over a high school diploma in all measurable aspects: lifetime earnings potential, competitive edge in hiring, lower rate of unemployment...

Not EVERYONE needs a college education, but for those who have aspirations towards careers rather than jobs....it is still the best investment in one's own future.
The US is changing to a direction where getting a degree is producing declining returns. Let me just also say that I'm not against education in general but rather credentialism and the current model of higher education. See: credential inflation

Old 05-10-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphalogica View Post
The US is changing to a direction where getting a degree is producing declining returns. See: credential inflation
Really?

Prove it....

A minority of American's possess a BS/BA or higher....

That minority has a lower rate of unemployment, higher median income, higher lifetime earnings potential...

I see lots of anecdotes from people like yourself who would like to believe otherwise but anecdotal "evidence" is meaningless

Old 05-10-2011, 03:36 PM

867 posts, read 2,978,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Really?

Prove it....

A minority of American's possess a BS/BA or higher....

That minority has a lower rate of unemployment, higher median income, higher lifetime earnings potential...

I see lots of anecdotes from people like yourself who would like to believe otherwise but anecdotal "evidence" is meaningless
The future of the city of intellect ... - Google Books

That book was published in 2002 by Stanford University Press and was written by a UPenn professor.

If you read pages 23 - 26 you will see what I mean when I say that the value of a degree is "declining."

Last edited by Alphalogica; 05-10-2011 at 03:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities