Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2011, 02:17 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
You are pretty dumb if you are paying 17k a year unless it's for graduate school. The only number that matters is average debt upon graduation. Which is under 20k for many public universities.
$17k/year is not unheard of in the North East. Rutgers is a public school and is just above $15k for in-state students. Ofcourse, everything in NJ is high: salaries, COL, and taxes... so it evens out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 02:20 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,973,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I was looking at my university requirements of A.B./Lib Arts and it looks like they dropped the math requirements and replaced it with a course called "Quantitative Reasoning" for incoming 2013 students. They also scrapped the science requirements and replaced it with "Science and Technology w/ lab" requirements. Not sure what that is.
There was also a quantitative reasoning requirement at my alma mater (courses in math, science, or computer science) for a BA.

A BS in LA required a slightly more stringent quantitative reasoning requirement.

And these, of course, are just minimum requirements. You can always pursue more of the maths and sciences for your elective courses. I suggest that people take more econ courses, math courses (algebra, trig, calc) and courses in chemistry and physics. Those can potentially be extremely helpful and useful.

Old 11-02-2011, 02:26 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,281,921 times
Quote:
I basically chose to go to the school closest to my parent's home. It's often cheaper if you go closer to home... cuts out a bunch of expenses. It's not the best way to choose a school, but it worked out for me. They actually have a good network.

Princeton University - Welcome

I studied computer science. If they had a business school, it's likely that I would have continued to work on my masters there.
You really can't compare an LA degree from Princeton to one from any other university... obviously, any degree from Princeton will have merit

Old 11-02-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
You really can't compare an LA degree from Princeton to one from any other university... obviously, any degree from Princeton will have merit
Any degree from any good school will have merit (with a few exceptions). I think that's the basis of institutionalized education. Why would anyone spend time obtaining an education without merit?

Old 11-02-2011, 02:42 PM

210 posts, read 303,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Now this will take on a different beast of it's own.

Engineering degree from MIT is better than Joe State University as opposed to Engineering is held in higher regards than History...

Old 11-02-2011, 02:52 PM

97 posts, read 157,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipper21 View Post
Now this will take on a different beast of it's own.

Engineering degree from MIT is better than Joe State University as opposed to Engineering is held in higher regards than History...
ABET accreditation standards exceed regional accreditation standards.

But it definitely does matter where you go to school (networking).

Old 11-02-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
There was also a quantitative reasoning requirement at my alma mater (courses in math, science, or computer science) for a BA.

A BS in LA required a slightly more stringent quantitative reasoning requirement.

And these, of course, are just minimum requirements. You can always pursue more of the maths and sciences for your elective courses. I suggest that people take more econ courses, math courses (algebra, trig, calc) and courses in chemistry and physics. Those can potentially be extremely helpful and useful.
Ah, my school doesn't have the BS offerings.

Old 11-02-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunninRebel View Post
ABET accreditation standards exceed regional accreditation standards.

But it definitely does matter where you go to school (networking).
Devry has ABET accreditation. You can't rely on accreditation alone.

Old 11-02-2011, 03:13 PM

284 posts, read 499,800 times
It's like watching a train wreck... I want to look away, but I just can't...

Old 11-02-2011, 03:20 PM

97 posts, read 157,027 times
Quote:
Devry has ABET accreditation. You can't rely on accreditation alone.
DeVry is sometimes ABET-accredited for engineering technology, never engineering. There is a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities