Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 07:42 PM

259 posts, read 789,578 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am a 31-year-old Swedish girl but I have lived in the states now for 9 years. I have no collage education. All I have is a HS diploma from Sweden. I have worked retail for the last 8 years and I can't stand it anymore. I need to go back to school. I would love to get a BA in HR-Management. My concerns are however this, I am really bad in Math and reading and writing English. I understand everything people say but I don't think I could write a collage paper or what you now call it. Math has always been very hard and I am worried that I will not pass the English and Math classes?
I really want to do this but I am truly scared. Are there any of you who been in my situation that can give me some advise.

Thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 08:17 PM

462 posts, read 1,877,661 times
Don't be scared. I think the best thing for you to do is to go and talk with college representatives.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:23 PM

361 posts, read 1,947,693 times
I haven't been in your exact situation, but I did return to college at the age of 34 (I worked in retail for 3 years - I know how you feel!! ).

Here are some ideas that hopefully will help you:

1) Start slow. Consider starting at a community college where the classes will be less rigourous and the students are catered to (in a good way!) more than at a large university.

2) Wherever you go, they'll have math classes at all levels, and there will be tutors - maybe even free ones! - to help you.

3) If you think you are going to need to put extra time into your classes because of the language barriers, take a lighter load - consider going to school part time.

Best of all - your motivation will carry you through!! You sound like you really really want a degree, and us adult students are better organized and more mature - it makes college SO MUCH easier than at age 18. Heck, I wish I had never gone when I was 18 and just started at your age!

Find out what support services are available at your school - tutoring, advisors, etc. There are people there to help you!

Good luck!

Old 04-29-2008, 10:19 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,177,901 times
I think the best thing to do is to prepare yourself with some additional ESL classes to reinforce your fluency with English.

And, as far as math goes, see if you can find tutoring, or even try some computer programs. I think that, now that you're an adult, you'll be surprised at how much better you are with math.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:07 PM

259 posts, read 789,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katreese View Post
I haven't been in your exact situation, but I did return to college at the age of 34 (I worked in retail for 3 years - I know how you feel!! ).

Here are some ideas that hopefully will help you:

1) Start slow. Consider starting at a community college where the classes will be less rigourous and the students are catered to (in a good way!) more than at a large university.

2) Wherever you go, they'll have math classes at all levels, and there will be tutors - maybe even free ones! - to help you.

3) If you think you are going to need to put extra time into your classes because of the language barriers, take a lighter load - consider going to school part time.

Best of all - your motivation will carry you through!! You sound like you really really want a degree, and us adult students are better organized and more mature - it makes college SO MUCH easier than at age 18. Heck, I wish I had never gone when I was 18 and just started at your age!

Find out what support services are available at your school - tutoring, advisors, etc. There are people there to help you!

Good luck!

Thank you so much for you answer, it makes me feel really good. Thanks

Old 04-29-2008, 07:17 PM

361 posts, read 1,947,693 times
You're welcome!!

Old 04-29-2008, 07:27 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,377,367 times
Congratulations to you - remember this ... Never be afraid when it comes to education - you sound like someone who really wants to succeed and you will. There are many resources available to you. You may have to work a little harder but you will succeed. You are to be commended!!!

Old 04-30-2008, 01:29 PM

502 posts, read 1,736,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktalley View Post
Hi, I am a 31-year-old Swedish girl but I have lived in the states now for 9 years. I have no collage education. All I have is a HS diploma from Sweden. I have worked retail for the last 8 years and I can't stand it anymore. I need to go back to school. I would love to get a BA in HR-Management. My concerns are however this, I am really bad in Math and reading and writing English. I understand everything people say but I don't think I could write a collage paper or what you now call it. Math has always been very hard and I am worried that I will not pass the English and Math classes?
I really want to do this but I am truly scared. Are there any of you who been in my situation that can give me some advise.

Thank you in advance
I like the idea of a 2 + 2. In Maine, many of the community colleges have agreements with the university system where students start at the community college then transfer the credits to the university. The programs are aligned so students simply continue on. The high school I teach at is also aligned with a community college where the high school students take classes and get college credit. Works very well.

Start slow - perhaps 2 courses. I think attending some adult ed classes would be a benefit too. There are math and english classes offered for very small fees. I always thought adult ed classes were for losers, but have discovered the opposite to be true. They are fun, laid back, and extremely beneficial. I have taken a dozen classes now at our local school such as photography, investing, computers, small business and electricity.

Lastly - just do it. While I went to college right out of high school, MANY of the people in my program where in their 30's and 40's. Out of a group of 25 or so in my program, there were 3 or 4 that were 18. The rest were much older. Nobody will care that you might be older than the typical college student.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:48 AM

3 posts, read 11,328 times
Default back to school

i have a manufactuing back ground. been out of work for about three years now,argg! i am 45 and need to go back to school.and i am scared @!%$less about it. i was never a good student. and the thing i am scared most about is failing! i guess i have said all i have to say exept good luck.
i'll pray for your sucess.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:50 AM

427 posts, read 1,388,163 times
Community college is a good option. And most college offer tutors, and writing labs, so someone can review your papers and help you make any corrections needed. Just don't be afraid to ask for help when you need it, because there is nothing wrong with needing help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities