Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 07:27 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,473,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideman View Post
I am currently studying CJ and have a bachelors and JD in law, and have taken several management/business courses so I hope to give some perspective to the OP on this. The study of business and CJ are two diverse disciplines. You have to determine what you are interested in otherwise you'll not be successful in your studies or in your career. Who cares what LE enforcement people tell you anyway? Most do not have a degree and/or have the 60 credit hrs. that qualifies them to get into the academy. If you want to get into the FBI, research what they're looking for and study in that discipline. Otherwise, if you want to get into general law enforcement, security, paralegal, private investigation, etc. a good general degree is CJ. Same as if you want to get into general or middle management a degree in business is a good choice. Best of luck.
The advice I have gotten from paralegals is to get a degree or certificate in paralegal or legal studies. If you compare CJ programs to paralegal programs, CJ programs don't cover nearly as much law and they definitely don't cover the legal writing skills you need to become a paralegal. It is good to listen to law enforcement officers because they are actually law enforcement officers and they know what it takes to get in. If all of these officers are getting in with no degree or 60 college credits, then, obviously, a bachelors degree in a specific subject is not needed. No offense, but I find it hard to believe that someone with an ABA-accredited law degree would go back to school and study a subject that is just a watered-down version of law mixed with social work. It would be like a doctor going back to nursing school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 09:56 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,043,864 times
Quote:
I am currently studying CJ and have a bachelors and JD in law, and have taken several management/business courses so I hope to give some perspective to the OP on this. The study of business and CJ are two diverse disciplines. You have to determine what you are interested in otherwise you'll not be successful in your studies or in your career. Who cares what LE enforcement people tell you anyway? Most do not have a degree and/or have the 60 credit hrs. that qualifies them to get into the academy. If you want to get into the FBI, research what they're looking for and study in that discipline. Otherwise, if you want to get into general law enforcement, security, paralegal, private investigation, etc. a good general degree is CJ. Same as if you want to get into general or middle management a degree in business is a good choice. Best of luck.
I gotta ask - why are you getting a CJ degree if you already have a pre-law and J.D?

Old 03-25-2012, 03:58 PM

12,106 posts, read 23,271,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post
I gotta ask - why are you getting a CJ degree if you already have a pre-law and J.D?

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:01 PM

366 posts, read 730,574 times
I can see where a degree in CJ could help a paralegal that works for a criminal attorney, if that's what field they're interested in. Otherwise, you can get a degree in anything, CJ included, and get your paralegal certificate. Then I'd suggest taking the certified paralegal exam (not the same thing as a paralegal certificate) to show potential employers that you're skilled and serious about the field. Then if you get tired of working for overbearing lawyers, and if you've worked with lawyers you know how hierarchical they can be, you're not stuck in a field that you hate with a paralegal degree.

Currently I'm studying CJ because I'm fascinated with all aspects of criminal law. As a 1L I took my mandatory one course in criminal law and it did not whet my appettite. Besides, as an attorney in criminal law, you are generally adversarial towards the police. It can only help to become more knowledgeable about their training. Also, my wife is a nurse, and sometimes she complains that the doctors could learn a thing or two by attending nursing school.

Old 03-25-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
I can see where a degree in CJ could help a paralegal that works for a criminal attorney, if that's what field they're interested in. Otherwise, you can get a degree in anything, CJ included, and get your paralegal certificate. Then I'd suggest taking the certified paralegal exam (not the same thing as a paralegal certificate) to show potential employers that you're skilled and serious about the field. Then if you get tired of working for overbearing lawyers, and if you've worked with lawyers you know how hierarchical they can be, you're not stuck in a field that you hate with a paralegal degree.

Currently I'm studying CJ because I'm fascinated with all aspects of criminal law. As a 1L I took my mandatory one course in criminal law and it did not whet my appettite. Besides, as an attorney in criminal law, you are generally adversarial towards the police. It can only help to become more knowledgeable about their training. Also, my wife is a nurse, and sometimes she complains that the doctors could learn a thing or two by attending nursing school.
Police go to an academy, they don't get CJ degrees to become cops. C.J degrees can be interesting, but ask any cop - when it comes to being a cop, they're about as valuable as a degree in Music Studies.

As a defense attorney, you're generally adversarial towards the D.A.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:17 PM

As a "criminal" defense attorney you are of course adversarial towards the D.A., who has evidence supported by police investigation (hence the adversarial portion of attorney vs. police).

Our local sheriff has a masters in CJ. Perhaps he knows something you don't.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:32 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,473,840 times
Quote:
Then if you get tired of working for overbearing lawyers, and if you've worked with lawyers you know how hierarchical they can be, you're not stuck in a field that you hate with a paralegal degree.
One could say the same thing about a person with a CJ degree and getting tired of law enforcement. The person with the paralegal degree could always become a cop even at agencies that have a preference for CJ degrees (although there are very few) because they usually have a preference for anyone who studied law. If one becomes injured as a cop, their options for desk work outside of law enforcement are very limited. I also know a high ranking cop who provides secret service protection on the side and he has a masters in public administration. He even owns a security company. It really does not matter. Experience is most important and a masters in just about anything is considered impressive. Of course, CJ majors are going to be overrepresented in law enforcement since so many people think they need a CJ degree to get in. It's definitely not going to make one stand out because law enforcement agencies have needs for other skills.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:29 PM

Fair enough. I basically agree with your lucid argument. I do think paralegalism is a niche area like a legal secretary and their options are somewhat limited outside being a legal assistant. Someone also mentioned before that a degree in CJ is also a check the box for any required degree. I agree with that as well.

And to the OP, which this thread is ultimately for, use your best judgment, study what you really want to study and what we say, well, take it for what it's worth.

Old 03-25-2012, 11:18 PM

Quote:
As a "criminal" defense attorney you are of course adversarial towards the D.A., who has evidence supported by police investigation (hence the adversarial portion of attorney vs. police).

Our local sheriff has a masters in CJ. Perhaps he knows something you don't.
My local sheriff has a masters in business management, perhaps she knows something you don't.

I've spoken with several cops - they would advise people not to get a CJ degree - they don't help you get a job, and in fact, within the realm of law enforcement, are less useful than an accounting degree or business management degree (especially if you're going to get promoted into an admin position). Also, if you can't be a cop any more, odds are you could still be an accountant.

What can I say, it's a common problem in the American education system - over saturation of liberal arts degrees. There is perhaps a demand for a few C.J degree holders - but not anywhere near for how many people are getting C.J degrees.

Old 03-25-2012, 11:44 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,390,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post
My local sheriff has a masters in business management, perhaps she knows something you don't.

I've spoken with several cops - they would advise people not to get a CJ degree - they don't help you get a job, and in fact, within the realm of law enforcement, are less useful than an accounting degree or business management degree (especially if you're going to get promoted into an admin position). Also, if you can't be a cop any more, odds are you could still be an accountant.

What can I say, it's a common problem in the American education system - over saturation of liberal arts degrees. There is perhaps a demand for a few C.J degree holders - but not anywhere near for how many people are getting C.J degrees.
I don't know if I can agree with the last assessment about liberal arts degrees. A year or two ago I would have agreed with you, but it has reached a point that essentially everyone I knew in college who got degrees in fields related to liberal arts ended up doing pretty well for themselves. I think for a lot of jobs all that really matters is that you have a 4yr degree and are reasonably competent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities