Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 01:54 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,529,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBA wannabe View Post
The world is becoming more and more computerized as the day goes on. I'm not much of a gambling man, but I'd bet that in my lifetime that the number of degrees awarded online will outnumber those granted from the classroom. Imagine 20 years ago, most people wrote the internet off as just a fad...remember technology rules. Hey they're performing successful surgery over the internet with relatively inexperienced surgeons being guided by the experience half way around the world. Do you think that I'd be able to learn statistics over the internet. Besides, with the amount of revenue that will be missed out will be realized by the people who really run the university, the bean counters.
The low level schools will be weeded out. The quality schools will serve on campus and online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 03:51 PM

13 posts, read 22,305 times
Obtaining a degree online is all personal preference. When you go into the real world and look for a career employers are also going to base the quality of the degree on their personal judgments. Some people highly regard online degrees. They may have received one themselves or know someone that received one and know the rigorous demands an online degree requires, you do need to be self-disciplined. Other employers might not recognize the online school or value an online degree, with thoughts that it’s not as “hard.” I obtained my undergraduate degree from a brick and mortar school and work full time. I want to return to graduate school but am unable to due to my demanding and constant changing work schedule (I travel a lot), therefore going to school online is my only option. I’ve researched many schools and I’ve come to the conclusion, I want to attend a brick and mortar school for my online studies. I know once I graduate I won’t have to explain that the school is accredited or “real.” That is the one thing that concerned me about getting a degree from an online only university. I would suggest researching local state or private universities that are familiar to you to see if they have online programs in your field of study. That’s a place to start. If you can’t find anything you like or is affordable, then start researching online only universities. One thing you must look for is accreditation. Some schools are not accredited, some schools are nationally accredited, and some schools are regionally accredited. The most “prestigious” accreditation is regional accreditation, and I would suggest going to a regionally accredited school to be on the safe side. I would only suggest going to an online only, or nationally accredited school if you are currently employed and looking for a promotion. Otherwise, I would stick with a traditional university with an online or satellite campus. Good Luck

Old 06-27-2012, 01:30 PM

69 posts, read 268,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAW89 View Post
Obtaining a degree online is all personal preference. When you go into the real world and look for a career employers are also going to base the quality of the degree on their personal judgments.
The employers also based their hiring decisions on experience and personality fit during interviews.

Employers do not want to work with people who "know it all" and "will be a pain in the ass to work with" no matter what school they graduated from.

That is the same when students have to do group work in high school and college. You don't want someone whose personality doesn't fit your group to be with your group eventhough they are the valedictorian or the c u m laude of a top school. It will be "annoying" and a "pain in the ass" to work with people like that.

For employers during interviews, they imagine working with the applicant everyday of the week and decide if they can handle that.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
The low level schools will be weeded out. The quality schools will serve on campus and online.
The employers will not want to hire someone who seem to "know it all" and a "pain in the ass to work with" based on their personality during interviews.

Hint hint!

Old 06-27-2012, 02:08 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,207,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Employment data and loan debt give you a picture of why for-profit degrees have less value.

Eh, that has more to do with lack of jobs for graduates. If the same number of graduates existed, all with Harvard degrees, we would still have the problems we do.

Old 06-27-2012, 02:12 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,207,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBA wannabe View Post
The world is becoming more and more computerized as the day goes on. I'm not much of a gambling man, but I'd bet that in my lifetime that the number of degrees awarded online will outnumber those granted from the classroom. Imagine 20 years ago, most people wrote the internet off as just a fad...remember technology rules. Hey they're performing successful surgery over the internet with relatively inexperienced surgeons being guided by the experience half way around the world. Do you think that I'd be able to learn statistics over the internet. Besides, with the amount of revenue that will be missed out will be realized by the people who really run the university, the bean counters.

I think, the only reason why more degrees might be awarded online within the near future is because of for profit degree mills.

Eventually though, you are probably right, especially when all work requires bachelors degrees (meaning they will need to be nearly as easily obtainable as high school diplomas), and the demand for degrees simply outgrows the reasonable capacity of the traditional building, in addition to traditional brick and mortar degrees becoming and inconvenience on the lives of people who are increasingly tethered to the job.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
I think, the only reason why more degrees might be awarded online within the near future is because of for profit degree mills..
If the school is regionally or nationally accredited, they are NOT degree mills. The students still need to meet and do the work in completing the degree program.

The accreditating bodies have guidelines on what the schools MUST meet in order to be accredited.

There are some schools that are not regionally nor nationally accredited but are state-approved schools instead. They are not degree mills either because they MUST also meet the requirements that the state has for each school.

California is one of the states that have several state-approved schools that are not regionally nor nationally accredited. California has strict guidelines on what the schools MUST meet and they are not degree mills either.

If you plan to use those degrees outside California, then the person must check with the state where he wants to use it to check its validity in that state - some states may not accept them but most states accept them since they are state-approved schools although not regionally nor nationally accredited school but they may have additional requirements which is specifically true for licensing (lawyer, PhD, PsyD, etc).

To give an example, for law school, the regionally accredited schools charge around $150,000 for the whole program. For nationally accredited school, around $60,000. For state-accredited schools, around $50,000. For state-approved, around $12,000 to $30,000.

If you plan to apply for your FIRST lawyer job at big firms or Wall Street and work 80 hours per week, go to the $150,000 law school program.

If you plan to work for a mid-size law firms and work 40 to 50 hours per week, go to a school that is not $150,000 school. If you plan to open your own law firm or work for a small law firm to start with, why would someone want to have a $150,000 or even a $50,000 debt?

Return on investment is always a biggie and not everybody wants to work for a big law firm that pays $90,000 but work 80 hours per week.

Last edited by practical111; 06-27-2012 at 04:04 PM..

Old 06-27-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by practical111 View Post
The employers will not want to hire someone who seem to "know it all" and a "pain in the ass to work with" based on their personality during interviews.

Hint hint!
They won't and don't hire people who get a piece of paper from a degree mill. It appears you have trouble working with people smarter than you.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Eh, that has more to do with lack of jobs for graduates. If the same number of graduates existed, all with Harvard degrees, we would still have the problems we do.
It has to do with the quality of student at these schools. It's all relative to others who attended better schools.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by practical111 View Post
If the school is regionally or nationally accredited, they are NOT degree mills. The students still need to meet and do the work in completing the degree program.

The accreditating bodies have guidelines on what the schools MUST meet in order to be accredited.

There are some schools that are not regionally nor nationally accredited but are state-approved schools instead. They are not degree mills either because they MUST also meet the requirements that the state has for each school.

California is one of the states that have several state-approved schools that are not regionally nor nationally accredited. California has strict guidelines on what the schools MUST meet and they are not degree mills either.

If you plan to use those degrees outside California, then the person must check with the state where he wants to use it to check its validity in that state - some states may not accept them but most states accept them since they are state-approved schools although not regionally nor nationally accredited school but they may have additional requirements which is specifically true for licensing (lawyer, PhD, PsyD, etc).

To give an example, for law school, the regionally accredited schools charge around $150,000 for the whole program. For nationally accredited school, around $60,000. For state-accredited schools, around $50,000. For state-approved, around $12,000 to $30,000.

If you plan to apply for your FIRST lawyer job at big firms or Wall Street and work 80 hours per week, go to the $150,000 law school program.

If you plan to work for a mid-size law firms and work 40 to 50 hours per week, go to a school that is not $150,000 school. If you plan to open your own law firm or work for a small law firm to start with, why would someone want to have a $150,000 or even a $50,000 debt?

Return on investment is always a biggie and not everybody wants to work for a big law firm that pays $90,000 but work 80 hours per week.
Accreditdation means nothing. For-profits can just buy into it. A schools quality is determined by the admissions requirements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities