Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 10:16 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,303,705 times

Advertisements

University of Phoenix is considered a joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 11:01 AM

2 posts, read 4,273 times
I find it amusing the number of people here who make opinion based statements as though fact. If you are going to say that an Online Degree is worthless to an employer, atleast provide articles or some reference to back up your claim. Or did they not teach that in school? I would warn readers to be weary of opinions given here, because this board has a HUGE bias. I personally don't know how an employer might feel either way, but I'm not going to sit here and give a crap opinion because of the way I feel about one degree route or another.

Call around to various companies and talk to their HR personnel, and ask their company's stance towards applicants with online degrees. Just try to get a basline feel of how they OFFICIALLY feel about it; not some barracks lawyer opinions on the matter.

Another thing I find interesting is that it is hard to come across many articles or posts online of people complaining that their online degree has proven worhtless. The overwhelming majority of what you will find are people with B&M degrees bashing online degrees, or opining they are worthless, and employers laugh at them, etc....just like this thread.

Now, some common factual themes that come up with online colleges, are students having bad experiences with transferring credit to other colleges (usually due to accreditation issues), bad customer service, being misled, and other items mainly related to the business and academic side of it, but not employment. With that said, wouldn't it be logical that if so many people "wasted" money on a legitimate online college degree, the internet would be flooded with complaints of being turned away and/or laughed at by employers? Why do we only see B&M degree holders bashing on the degree, and not upset customers who've wasted their time and money with an online degree? I can't answer that question, but it is something to think about.

Don't pay the nay sayers any attention, and do your own research. In my OPINION, people are afraid of change, and are afraid of their job stability being threatened by the influx of people who would normally not be able to obtain a college degree, due to not being able to attend a B&M school for whatever reason.

In closing, there are scams out there that cause people to have bad opinions, and that is understandable. However, that does not classify ALL of the online degree colleges. Do your own research, and come to your own conclusions. Then look at everything surrounding your life that will push you toward either B&M or online, and make a sound decision.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:29 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,658,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-timer View Post
I find it amusing the number of people here who make opinion based statements as though fact. If you are going to say that an Online Degree is worthless to an employer, atleast provide articles or some reference to back up your claim. Or did they not teach that in school? I would warn readers to be weary of opinions given here, because this board has a HUGE bias. I personally don't know how an employer might feel either way, but I'm not going to sit here and give a crap opinion because of the way I feel about one degree route or another.

Call around to various companies and talk to their HR personnel, and ask their company's stance towards applicants with online degrees. Just try to get a basline feel of how they OFFICIALLY feel about it; not some barracks lawyer opinions on the matter.

Another thing I find interesting is that it is hard to come across many articles or posts online of people complaining that their online degree has proven worhtless. The overwhelming majority of what you will find are people with B&M degrees bashing online degrees, or opining they are worthless, and employers laugh at them, etc....just like this thread.

Now, some common factual themes that come up with online colleges, are students having bad experiences with transferring credit to other colleges (usually due to accreditation issues), bad customer service, being misled, and other items mainly related to the business and academic side of it, but not employment. With that said, wouldn't it be logical that if so many people "wasted" money on a legitimate online college degree, the internet would be flooded with complaints of being turned away and/or laughed at by employers? Why do we only see B&M degree holders bashing on the degree, and not upset customers who've wasted their time and money with an online degree? I can't answer that question, but it is something to think about.

Don't pay the nay sayers any attention, and do your own research. In my OPINION, people are afraid of change, and are afraid of their job stability being threatened by the influx of people who would normally not be able to obtain a college degree, due to not being able to attend a B&M school for whatever reason.

In closing, there are scams out there that cause people to have bad opinions, and that is understandable. However, that does not classify ALL of the online degree colleges. Do your own research, and come to your own conclusions. Then look at everything surrounding your life that will push you toward either B&M or online, and make a sound decision.
I'm not sure I read where someone posted that "an Online Degree is worthless to an employer." Degrees are important to employers, people are. I have interviewed hundreds of people over my career. I evaluated their experience, education, personality and even how well they prepared their resume. I asked questions about why they made the decisions they made such as why they selected the colleges they attended. The schools someone attended affected my evaluation of the person but was only one aspect of my evaluation.

If I was interviewing two people and one graduated from Kapella University and the other graduated from Penn State, I would have some bias for the Penn State grad, everything else being equal. Obviously, experience plays a larger role compared to education as people have been in the workplace longer.

Calling around to various companies and talking to their HR personnel, and asking their company's stance towards applicants with online degrees would be a waste of time. In the companies where I worked, I never wanted HR's involvement in hiring decisions and avoided it as much as possible. The response you would receive would be something like, "We evaluate all candidates on their own personal merit. An online degree would not prevent a condidate from being hired in this organization."

Old 04-26-2012, 12:19 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,519,428 times
Employment data and loan debt give you a picture of why for-profit degrees have less value.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:29 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,126,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
University of Phoenix is considered a joke.
Online schools are just fantastic for those who became injured while proudly serving in the US Military. I became severely disabled from serving in a Combat Unit and my MBA has never been looked as inferior to any of my former or present employers.. What about the troops who were injured from serving in combat and diaganosed with PTSD, TBI or had limbs torn off them? I've been blown off my feet twice and shot too. I feel I am a lucky one and don't know why God saved me.

I can say without reservation that it is a horible thing to hobble around in a brick and mortar facility. I found it difficult to arrive on time at my next class so I transferred to Online....I defended my BS and MBA and was accepted to a PhD program. My injuries stopped me from finishing. I am far from being an excellent student but I did try very hard for my degrees. I hurt 24/7 and fall at times due to injuries I received in combat actions with the enemy.

God Bless our Vets and Troops.
I am Steve
K/75th Rangers

Last edited by Synergy1; 04-26-2012 at 01:00 PM..

Old 04-26-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-timer View Post

Excellent points and I agree with your analysis.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:55 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,519,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy1 View Post
Online schools are just fantastic for those who were in the military and who became severely disabled from serving. The troops who were diaganosed with PTSD, TBI or had limbs torn off them find it very tough going to a brick and mortar facility.....
Well many quality schools have online programs now.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:48 PM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times
I would advise her to live at home, get a full time job and put herself through college at night. If she goes to a community college for the first two years she should make sure her credits can be transferred to a four year school meaning she needs to research the four year school when she just starts out at the community college not wait until she's ready to transfer.

Intro to this and Intro to that...no sense paying a ton of money for these kind of classes. Community collges are usually better fits to a full-time working schedule meaning it's more likely you can get the classes you need at night. Her BA/BS degree will not state she did her first two years at a community college and when she graduates she won't be in debt up to her eyeballs.

Old 04-27-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Well many quality schools have online programs now.
The 'quality' schools you write may be and usually staff award winning top notch Professors. Now I went to Univ of Penn for a while and never had an award winning or masterful Prof....... I also attended Penn State online and had a tough tiime with their Religion course. I thought I really knew Religion because my parents were very religious and I dare not miss a church service.

I know from peers that most online schools require a personal 300-500 word paper every week and a team paper of 500-750 words due too. Every paper was submitted electronically and the Pro checked for Plagerism. Also we could not have more than 8% documented quotes.

I did find the online courses tougher than brick-and-mortar school plus very time consuming due to the research. Given a choice I do prefer the classroom but online was tougher.

Last edited by Synergy1; 04-27-2012 at 07:55 PM..

Old 05-04-2012, 11:47 AM

131 posts, read 281,972 times
The world is becoming more and more computerized as the day goes on. I'm not much of a gambling man, but I'd bet that in my lifetime that the number of degrees awarded online will outnumber those granted from the classroom. Imagine 20 years ago, most people wrote the internet off as just a fad...remember technology rules. Hey they're performing successful surgery over the internet with relatively inexperienced surgeons being guided by the experience half way around the world. Do you think that I'd be able to learn statistics over the internet. Besides, with the amount of revenue that will be missed out will be realized by the people who really run the university, the bean counters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities