Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 06:32 AM

12,113 posts, read 23,340,934 times

Advertisements

If you are going to get an online degree, go to a regionally accredited brick and mortar school that has an online component. UoP and the like are very expensive. Shw would be better off going to a local CC and then transeferring her credits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily2204 View Post
In a word, NO. Online degrees are completely worthless and University of Phoenix is the worst of the worst. The only thing you'll get is a load of debt and a good laugh from any employer who sees that name on your resume.

An over generalization that is simply not true. While there are certainly online degrees that are suspect and unaccredited, many good, regionally accredited schools offer online degrees now.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:21 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,508,909 times
A for-profit on her resume, regardless of the degree, is going to look far less attractive than an AA from a community college, or a BS/BA from a state university. That's just the way it is.

For-profit schools are seen by most people as the absolute last line of defense for people who burned all their academic bridges in life and are therefore unable to attend a traditional college or university.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
A for-profit on her resume, regardless of the degree, is going to look far less attractive than an AA from a community college, or a BS/BA from a state university. That's just the way it is.

For-profit schools are seen by most people as the absolute last line of defense for people who burned all their academic bridges in life and are therefore unable to attend a traditional college or university.

I concur with your first point. As far as your second point, for some that is true. For others, they simply don't know any better. A kid I used to work with was attending a for-profit. I talked to him about cost and accreditation--things he hadn't even researched--and he dropped out of the for-profit after I explained to him he would get so much more for so much less at the local CC.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:49 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,920,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily2204 View Post
In a word, NO. Online degrees are completely worthless and University of Phoenix is the worst of the worst. The only thing you'll get is a load of debt and a good laugh from any employer who sees that name on your resume.
Online degrees from for profit schools are worthless.

I am actually a strong supporter of on line learning from reputable universities. I know someone who goes to Worcester Polytechnical Institute for a Masters in Environmental Engineering and the set up is excellent. You can log in and view the class in real time, where you can type your questions. OR you can watch it at your convenience. Homework is scan to PDF and email, I think he has to go in twice a semester for exams.

Think about it, how many times have you been studying and wished you could go to a video of the class and fill that hole in your notes? Its an advantage that a 100% class setting doesn't offer.

The only drawback is these programs are very expensive because they are catering to working professionals, whos companies are paying part, if not all. Last time I checked the going rate is $1,000/credit.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:20 PM

40 posts, read 46,803 times
if you take online classes from a well known university like someone posted U of P. will your degree say Online or will it read like a regular degree?

Old 04-11-2012, 12:44 PM

I doubt UoP's degrees have "on-line" stamped on them, however everyone will assume you took it on-line.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:59 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,534,074 times
There are many quality non-profit schools where you can get a degree online now.

If the admissions requirements don't exist or most people can meet them it's a bad sign.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:49 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,189,937 times
Watch this:

FRONTLINE: college, inc. | PBS

Or, read some of this:

DVD/Transcript | College, Inc. | FRONTLINE | PBS

If you decide that a place like U of Phoenix is right for you, you have nobody to blame but yourself when it doesn't work for you. Basically, if a college's credit doesn't transfer to any other institution, it's a garbage school.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:26 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,413,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
If the school, as a whole, is accredited by a national organization, look elsewhere. The good, respected accreditation organizations are regional - for example the North Central Association for the midwest and rockies, the Middle States Association for the mid-Atlantic, etc.

Programs are accredited by national bodies: AACSB for business schools, NAAB for architecture schools, etc.

Some "real" schools have extensive online programs, for example the University of Maryland.

Some "real" schools are need-blind too. For example, if she went to Stanford and her parents made less than $100,000, her tuition is covered by their endowment. If they make less than $60,000, her tuition and room & board are covered.

Other "real" schools that aren't need-blind will give her a financial aid package that will alow her to go to the school she wants to anyway.
Correct. If it's an accredited program offered by a "real university," then I might find it ok. University of Maryland is generally a good school, and I've seen their ads here and there. Then it depends on the curriculum, so AACSB for business, ABET for engineering, NAAB for architecture, etc.

I don't care for University of Phoenix. If it has to market that heavily, then... I have a friend who graduated from there, with marginal grades to boot, and he knows next to nothing. In closing, it has to be bolted onto a "real university" (read: state school or well-known private school) and make sure that, if the field is accredited, it is accredited by the applicable national body.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 04-11-2012 at 10:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities