Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 06:44 AM

1 posts, read 1,485 times

Advertisements

It is my dream to get to police or work in this area/ I am not interst with bussines etc - its just not for me. However, they are people whoa re saying that this degree is doesnt make any bigger diffrence with gettin into police or not. Is that true? Mayne its better to major with soething diffrent to have back up ....but what? I want help people but so mnay jobs in this area are low pay jobs - I dont want that. Maybe someone will help me to decide. I will have a/s degree in criminal justice in 2 months. Now I need decide if stay and do B.A with cj or change it . Please, I really need good sugestions!!!! Also I am international student I will prabobly aplly for police in Uk but need have back up in case I will not get in - its stresfull for me !!! I need decide soon why its killing me I can! I wisk just know what to do!! I guess study oither launguage ( spanich for examle) will naot make bigger diffrence...dont know what to do!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 09:21 AM

47 posts, read 43,337 times
I have my AAS & BA in Criminal Justice. I was a security guard for almost 2 years. That was the closest that I actually used my degree, which I went for with the intent of being a police officer.

I went back to school and got my MLIS (library science), and I'm finally doing something that I want to do.

A lot of police, security & social work jobs prefer (the postings I'm seeing at least) something in CJ, psychology or social work. Any three of those are good. A business degree would also be good for police work, especially if your intention is to be a police chief (or other 'admin' job.)

To be a Michigan state trooper, "Applicants must have a high school diploma or G.E.D. A college education is not required, though it is recommended." So college isn't even required.

If I were you, I'd get my BA in something else. As I said above, a business or business management degree would be helpful. Psychology would also help.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:46 AM

167 posts, read 278,154 times
Most local and states are laying off officers due to budget crisis. I would drop the CJ degree( really not worth much) look at a degree in something else and try for the FBI or DEA. Something more substantial.

Old 03-23-2013, 10:06 AM

37,107 posts, read 41,238,832 times
UK police jibs do not have any formal educational requirements. Any degree will probably be an asset.

Police officer: Entry requirements | Prospects.ac.uk

However, at the top of the list of qualities that are looked for in candidates is "effective communication skills, including tact and diplomacy."

You indicate that you are an "international" student. If English is not your first language, you may need to polish your skills in that before you take on Spanish.

The article has additional information you may find helpful.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:21 AM

219 posts, read 430,851 times
If you are going to have an associates in CJ, you have already learned everything you need to know about the CJ field. I would suggest getting your BS in a behavioral science program such as psych. That or not pursuing a BS at all at this time. If you are interested in working as a police officer, my advice would be to finish the associates since you are so close anyway, and joining the military. Military service will place you higher on the hiring list than any degree. Demand from the recruiter that you want military police. After a 4 year enlistment you now have the veteran's preference that many departments offer, and prefer. You will also have the GI Bill which will pay for your BS. Most importantly, you will have a taste of what being a cop is like, and you can either pursue that career on the civilian side, remain in the military and make a career out of it, or get your BS in something else and go in a different direction. I can not emphasize enough that military service will prepare you for a law enforcement career better than any college degree, and police departments know it.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:31 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,473,091 times
I don't know about the UK, but I would not recommend a degree in CJ or a behavioral science for police departments in the U.S. Most police departments have no preference for any major. There are only a few federal agencies that prefer CJ and law degrees. There might be a police department or two in every state that prefer CJ degrees, but those usually have limited scope. You learn everything you need to know in the academy and during field training. CJ programs don't even come close to teaching all the laws you need to know. They're only good at teaching basic information about how the criminal justice system works and behavioral science.

Many honest and sane people fail polygraphs and behavioral assessments. Many police officers get burned out and leave the profession in less than 10 years. What would you do if you don't get in, end up hating the job, or end up with a career-ending injury? There's not much you can do with a bachelor's in CJ or a behavioral science outside of law enforcement, corrections, and social services. Even within law enforcement, there are too many people with CJ degrees and they have no special skills unless they concentrated in forensic science. A CJ degree will not make you stick out. Actually, no major will make you stick out in most cases, but larger departments need people with accounting/business and IT backgrounds for white collar and cyber crimes and investigations.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:58 PM

363 posts, read 988,582 times
Criminal Justice is pretty worthless. I got my degree in 1996 and for the last 16 years I have worked as a repair technician for Southwestern Bell/SBC/AT&T. Outside of Law Enforcement or Corrections it means nothing.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:56 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,708,082 times
At the end of the day it really comes down to doing what makes you happy. Who cares if its worthless or not, if you want to do it then do it. I know people who have CJ degress who didn't go anywhere, but then again then didn't apply themselves. If you network, find internships, etc then who knows. Some PD require BA in CJ but most don't. If you do have a BA in CJ it will put you ahead of someone who doesn't.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:19 PM

366 posts, read 730,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
At the end of the day it really comes down to doing what makes you happy. Who cares if its worthless or not, if you want to do it then do it. I know people who have CJ degress who didn't go anywhere, but then again then didn't apply themselves. If you network, find internships, etc then who knows. Some PD require BA in CJ but most don't. If you do have a BA in CJ it will put you ahead of someone who doesn't.

Hear Hear (They wouldn't let me rate your post positively so I thought I'd do this)

Old 03-27-2013, 03:10 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,473,091 times
I knew you would show up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities