Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should I major in college?
Engineering/ something with low unemployment rate 22 59.46%
Something that involves interests/ is creative 8 21.62%
Third option (explain in post) 7 18.92%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 06:47 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,606,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemureDoll View Post
I just want to quickly clarify a few things:

-I'm female (in case anyone is wondering :P)

-I applied to CCNY, Queens College, Hunter College, John Jay, Cooper Union, Manhattan College, and NYU Poly. I got into all of them except Cooper. MC and NYU Poly didn't offer enough aid, so I had to decline and choose from CUNY. I picked CCNY mostly because of the engineering department.

-I'm more concerned about stability in a career as opposed to making millions.

Some of you have told me of novelists who worked in other careers while they wrote. Perhaps someone could tell me of an artist/ animator who has a job as an artist/ animator but didn't get the related degree and had to "break out", so to speak?

For writing, it is definitely possible to write a novel or whatever whilst working your day job. Just because you are an Engineer does not mean you swear off writing. Until/if you hit it big Engineering will be the thing that pays the bills. As for the artist/animator I am not sure. I know Stephen Hillenburg the creator of SpongeBob was a marine biologist before he hit it big/broke out with SpongeBob. I still say its far better to go with the more finically secure major then IF, IF you hit it big or are able to support yourself with the writing, art or whatever, then quit the engineering and follow the dream. Do not be one of the underemployed college grad waiting to hit it big, still "working on the novel" at Starbucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 07:07 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,100,368 times
Of direct relevance, Tom Scholz of the rock band Boston got an engineering degree AND a Masters Engineering Degree from MIT of all places.

Official Boston Website

Old 08-13-2013, 07:37 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,410,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OdysseusNY View Post
HCI isn't a bad suggestion, i also was wondering about graphic design, but neither really relate to OP's interest of writing/storytelling

also, where's the CMU connection? was it just to give an idea of salary? OP said she was admitted to CCNY, which sadly does not offer any HCI classes in the CS dept. starting salary for a CMU grad in a computing field is going to be somewhat higher than what is typical for other universities as their program is among the best in the world in that field. but yes in general UX pays well if one is skilled at it
OP has a very sweet deal - low tuition at CCNY, chance to study engineering and have that degree in his/her pocket for the rest of their life, exposure to do many fun and interesting things in NYC, and chance to make contacts in NYC.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:49 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,985,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
exposure to do many fun and interesting things in NYC
just FYI, this doesn't always have same appeal to those of us who grew up here (OP probably did, judging from her applications)

having grown up here, gone to college elsewhere, and then moved back, i personally think it's better to try a different lifestyle for four years if you can rather than stay in the city for college

that said, everything else you said is true and certainly she can make great contacts and have a good time in her hometown. ccny is not a bad school, i went there for a MS

Old 08-14-2013, 01:12 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,349,447 times
Quote:
I just want to quickly clarify a few things:

-I'm female (in case anyone is wondering :P)

-I applied to CCNY, Queens College, Hunter College, John Jay, Cooper Union, Manhattan College, and NYU Poly. I got into all of them except Cooper. MC and NYU Poly didn't offer enough aid, so I had to decline and choose from CUNY. I picked CCNY mostly because of the engineering department.

-I'm more concerned about stability in a career as opposed to making millions.

Some of you have told me of novelists who worked in other careers while they wrote. Perhaps someone could tell me of an artist/ animator who has a job as an artist/ animator but didn't get the related degree and had to "break out", so to speak?
Here's my suggestion: stick with your current major. If this is your freshman year, you'll be doing some gen ed stuff anyway. Do more research on engineering to see if there's a niche career that could incorporate your desire to be creative and your aptitude for science and math.

While you're doing that, hone your animation skills if that is what you want to do. Animation is a TOUGH field to get into, probably more so than creative writing. If you're interested in animation, work on your skills, create a portfolio, and apply to studio fellowships. For example, Nickelodeon has a paid fellowship for artists and writers that's about $50K/year; Disney may have one as well. You could also team up w/ other students majoring in those artistic fields and volunteer for their student projects to see if you'd like it.

You don't need a specific art degree to get into that art field. One reason to get such a degree is to hone your skills in an academic setting; the other reason is networking. If you're an engineer trying to break into animation, for example, you'll have to do more to prove yourself than someone graduation with an animation degree out of a top art school. It's not impossible, but expect to be playing a bit of catch up.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:31 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,769,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Of direct relevance, Tom Scholz of the rock band Boston got an engineering degree AND a Masters Engineering Degree from MIT of all places.

Official Boston Website
will.i.am is enrolling in the computer science grad program at MIT this fall too.
(He will be one of the first people to advise going STEM over creative, and is doing his degree to be a better example to children.)

Old 08-14-2013, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
will.i.am is enrolling in the computer science grad program at MIT this fall too.
(He will be one of the first people to advise going STEM over creative, and is doing his degree to be a better example to children.)
Where'd you read that?

I looked at his bio and it doesn't even say he has a degree in anything, let alone CS.

I don't care, I'm just curious to know if MIT (or any reputable CS school) would allow such a thing.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:19 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,993,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Where'd you read that?

I looked at his bio and it doesn't even say he has a degree in anything, let alone CS.

I don't care, I'm just curious to know if MIT (or any reputable CS school) would allow such a thing.
Looks like they might!

Will.i.am

Old 08-14-2013, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kharing View Post
Looks like they might!

Will.i.am
That doesn't say he's enrolled in the program.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:29 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,298,146 times
Quote:
Perhaps someone could tell me of an artist/ animator who has a job as an artist/ animator but didn't get the related degree and had to "break out", so to speak?
As someone who works in a related industry, if you’re going to pursue a creative career I strongly recommend learning both the front- and back-ends. For example, if you’re interested in animation you should learn the back-end technology and computer programming aspects because that’s where the consistent money is.

The front-end design and drawing part is so fun, prestigious and emotionally fulfilling that many people are willing to do it for free (or nearly free). It’s hard to make money unless you have a large portfolio and a stellar reputation.

You need to know that almost all creative work is done “on spec.” That means that you create the work and then try get someone to buy it. Once you’re J.K. Rowling or Aaron Sorkin producers will pay you beforehand to create something, but it’s very hard to get to that level.

There are “staff” creative-types at companies like Disney who create “works for hire.” You get a salary and create whatever they ask for—but those are extremely difficult jobs to get. They recruit at the very top schools like Cal Arts and RISD.

In the end, it’s practically impossible to do creative work without either a trust fund or a day job. No, I’m not exaggerating. You need to be strategic and build your skill set so that your “day job” is also in the industry. That way you gain experience and contacts that you can transfer to your creative work.

If you’re an animation programmer, you’re much better placed to do your own animation work than if you’re waiting tables.

Last edited by tpk-nyc; 08-14-2013 at 09:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities