Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should I major in college?
Engineering/ something with low unemployment rate 22 59.46%
Something that involves interests/ is creative 8 21.62%
Third option (explain in post) 7 18.92%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 10:35 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,150,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdysseusNY View Post
HCI isn't a bad suggestion, i also was wondering about graphic design, but neither really relate to OP's interest of writing/storytelling

also, where's the CMU connection? was it just to give an idea of salary? OP said she was admitted to CCNY, which sadly does not offer any HCI classes in the CS dept. starting salary for a CMU grad in a computing field is going to be somewhat higher than what is typical for other universities as their program is among the best in the world in that field. but yes in general UX pays well if one is skilled at it
I am suggesting the OP not attend the CCNY engineering program she got into. Find something relevant and creative. CMU has a good program so I mentioned it. Other schools do as well.

In NY, Cooper Union is certainly worth a look for creative programs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 10:36 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,298,146 times
Just because there’s a (supposed) demand for something now, doesn’t mean it will exist in the future. I suspect that there may be a lot of accountants and nurses who forced themselves to get those degrees—despite having little interest in or aptitude for those subjects—because they thought it would guarantee a job.

It’s very difficult to succeed doing something you dislike. You may be able to get by, but you need a certain level of engagement to be successful. I suggest you try and find a balance.

On the other hand, I live in New York and I work in the arts (theater, film, music, etc.). I know that world very well. I’m going to sound like a snob here, and please don’t take it personally, but CCNY is not a good enough school to get you very far in a purely creative field.

Making a living in a creative field is incredibly tough. Even under favorable circumstances it’s a struggle to get by.

Last edited by tpk-nyc; 08-12-2013 at 10:44 PM..

Old 08-12-2013, 10:41 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,100,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post

Carnegie Mellon has an excellent program for HCI (which UX is a subset of). The starting salary I pay for UX folks aout of CMU is is $85k... but that's in the NYC area.

You've gotta be sh@ttin' me! For UX?

OMG, the income inequity of this world is so pathetic.

OTOH, that could have been me... I was almost a CS major at CMU.

Just goes to show OP, it matters what major and school you choose.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:11 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,150,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post

OTOH, that could have been me... I was almost a CS major at CMU.

Just goes to show OP, it matters what major and school you choose.
UX requires a deep level of study of several academic fields including anthropology, psychology, technology and human behavior in addition to the creative design stuff. It's not some random IT job. The pay is up there.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:14 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,985,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post

for many applications UX is the most important part, and often software developers get it wrong. you make it sound like it's just drag and drop of some text boxes and buttons

why would it shock you that a graduate from the #1 ranked school computer science school in the country would be well paid in this field?

i'm sure those who focus on HCI at berkeley and go to work for apple or another silicon valley company have similar starting salaries

Old 08-13-2013, 08:22 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,985,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
CMU has a good program so I mentioned it. Other schools do as well.

In NY, Cooper Union is certainly worth a look for creative programs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
but CCNY is not a good enough school to get you very far in a purely creative field.
am i the only one who assumed OP already went through the college admissions process and would have mentioned better schools if she had gotten in?

passing up ccny engineering, and taking a year off on the off chance you can get into a school like cooper or CMU may not be the best idea

Old 08-13-2013, 08:26 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,353,873 times
We tell our kids to chase things that have a paycheck at the end. Two want to be RN's, One is looking into counseling as an option or to become a therapist. Our youngest son wants to build his own business and have other people work for him.

Other things that you want to do that are noble and good for the world can be better done when you have a large income or at least have the basics out of the way. I know engineers making six figure incomes. My wifes cousin makes $200,000 a year as a ME. Lets say that you took that path and became an engineer. (Not sure about the outsourcing as I know lots of them that are working) Lets say that you worked your way up and were making a good 6 figure income. Your plan is to save the world so you work hard, invest your money and retire early. You spend the remainder of your life saving the environment, writing a book, or finding a cure for cancer.

Here is another thought. You can still write a book and become an engineer. No one is keeping anyone from writing.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:40 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,298,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OdysseusNY View Post
am i the only one who assumed OP already went through the college admissions process and would have mentioned better schools if she had gotten in?

passing up ccny engineering, and taking a year off on the off chance you can get into a school like cooper or CMU may not be the best idea
My point is that as hard as it is to get a creative degree to pay a living wage, it’s even harder if you don’t go the right school. My suggestion was not to transfer or take time off, but take a degree that is well regarded for CCNY.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:44 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,276,441 times
If you can do Engineering/Math with minimal effort on your part, do that. Make some money, then go with your passion.

If Engineering ends up being difficult, then by all means go the creative route.

However, like other posters have stated, being in a creative field also requires business savvy and the ability to sell yourself. That's one of the reasons why it is more difficult to find a job.

----

Also depending on the Majors, some of the more liberal arts might be low-unit, and you might be able to double major/minor, pretty easily in something you're interested in.

Lastly, over time, people tend to gravitate into things that they are interested in, so you might combine your interests and become, say, a video game producer or something.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:50 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
You can't let your parents decide what you are going to do with your life. Despite their good intentions, and wanting you to become successful in life, you also need to be happy with what you are doing. Our 3 are all adults now and we have made suggestions and answered questions but didn't push any of them into a particular major or career. The jobs that are hiring now may not be the same ones hiring in 4 years. Until you decide on a future career that you can live on, take a major that will provide a good general education and allow you to easily change over in a year or two, such as business. There are many creative jobs that you could consider, with opportunities for having your own business. Thinking of a few, architect, landscape designer, interior decorator, event planner, web designer, branding and visual identity, graphic designer, computer animator, and CAD designer (engineering). You might also consider talking to an admissions counselor at an Art Institute for ideas. I had a sign business and hired student from the Art Institute in Seattle. One of them is now a very successful self-employed graphic artist, another the art department in a shirt screen printing company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities