Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 05:31 AM

291 posts, read 505,801 times

Advertisements

I took a class and did great in it, and I could tell the professor appreciated the efforts I put into it as I seemed very passionate (it was a health law and ethics class). Fast forward a semester later, which is right now, I emailed her to ask for a letter of recommendation for graduate school. She was very willing to write me one and wanted to meet up with me to discuss about my goals and whatnot. We were supposed to meet a week ago, but I made up an excuse and rescheduled. So we were supposed to meet this past Monday, I did not show up nor did I notify her. I've just been busy these days with everything going on, so I overslept. I don't want to tell her I overslept and make up anymore excuses.. I know it's really unprofessional of me but I feel like she could write me a really great letter.

How should I approach her about it? It's been a few days since the appointment passed and I have not said a word yet. Should I just forget about it?

Please give me any advice! If anything, I know I owe her at least an apology for wasting her time.

Old 02-06-2014, 05:44 AM

2,002 posts, read 4,583,094 times
Ugh, I'd be offended. Forget about it.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:11 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
Wow..you did drop the ball on that one.
And then you did nothing for a few days after ?

Good luck in trying to get that letter now.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:20 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,000,532 times
Well, you should have apologized immediately. Now the best you can do is write a letter to her explaining exactly why you missed - hopefully you have a really good reason for being so tired, like you're working three jobs to support yourself or something like that - and just say that your calendar has been so full that you completely forgot the appointment, and you're so sorry for wasting her time. Honesty is the best policy.

However, I think you should consider asking someone else for a recommendation instead. If I were her, I'd have some reservations about writing you a good one after you stood me up. There are few qualities more important for success than reliability.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:36 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,476,279 times
It's been my policy that whenever I need to renege on a previous commitment, I always immediately notify the other party, apologize, and briefly state a reason even if it's not really that great. In the day of smartphones, there is no excuse for not developing this habit. If the professor doesn't give you a second chance, at least you've learned a life lesson.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:41 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
Horse may be out of the barn on this one.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:44 AM

291 posts, read 505,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
Well, you should have apologized immediately. Now the best you can do is write a letter to her explaining exactly why you missed - hopefully you have a really good reason for being so tired, like you're working three jobs to support yourself or something like that - and just say that your calendar has been so full that you completely forgot the appointment, and you're so sorry for wasting her time. Honesty is the best policy.

However, I think you should consider asking someone else for a recommendation instead. If I were her, I'd have some reservations about writing you a good one after you stood me up. There are few qualities more important for success than reliability.
I don't work 3 jobs, but I've been really stressed this semester and my sleep has been greatly affected because of it. I go to school full time and intern part time. I'm also prepping for the GRE so on top of my regular classes, all my focus has been directed towards the GRE. I know that's still no excuse for how unprofessional I was... Guess I'm just gonna write her a heart-felt apology and leave it at that. Won't push asking for the letter any further

Old 02-06-2014, 08:03 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,437,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloopers View Post
Guess I'm just gonna write her a heart-felt apology and leave it at that. Won't push asking for the letter any further
I think that's your best option at this point. You made a mistake. It happens in life and it won't be your last time. Write the note and hope for the best.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:08 AM

678 posts, read 1,064,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloopers View Post
I took a class and did great in it, and I could tell the professor appreciated the efforts I put into it as I seemed very passionate (it was a health law and ethics class). Fast forward a semester later, which is right now, I emailed her to ask for a letter of recommendation for graduate school. She was very willing to write me one and wanted to meet up with me to discuss about my goals and whatnot. We were supposed to meet a week ago, but I made up an excuse and rescheduled. So we were supposed to meet this past Monday, I did not show up nor did I notify her. I've just been busy these days with everything going on, so I overslept. I don't want to tell her I overslept and make up anymore excuses.. I know it's really unprofessional of me but I feel like she could write me a really great letter.

How should I approach her about it? It's been a few days since the appointment passed and I have not said a word yet. Should I just forget about it?

Please give me any advice! If anything, I know I owe her at least an apology for wasting her time.
Forget about it. I'm a college professor and I wouldn't give a recommendation to a student that has missed two appointments for a recommendation letter. It's a quick meeting and it should be a priority for the student. If they can't keep that meeting, it leaves the impression that they aren't serious about applying to graduate school.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:05 AM

334 posts, read 585,067 times
Well, I would contact her and apologize, and not ask for a letter. Just tell her what you said here, that you make a mistake and got busy. That way, you have done right and can rest easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities