Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 09:05 AM

27,560 posts, read 28,652,113 times

Advertisements

I went to college to become an engineer and make a lot of money. Pretty simple and straightforward.

I don't understand too much what other people go to college for.

I guess people like to be exposed to "ideas" and stuff like that - kind of like a 4 year seminar or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 09:12 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
This is what I saw about pay: "They are well-paid (though Close won’t reveal figures)." Petroleum engineering does have the highest starting salaries in the field. "Bain internships are very well paid. Bevans wouldn’t reveal a number but according to a listing on salary ranking website Glassdoor, Bain MBA interns earn between $10,000 and $12,000 a month." Do note that Glassdoor is self-reports, and they're talking about master's students. And this: "The Capital Fellows Program based in Sacramento, Calif. . . . They get paid a stipend of $1,972 a month and receive six units of graduate-level academic credit in government or public policy." These interns are required to already have a bachelor's degree.

Now "well paid" can mean anything. The slide show indicated all were paid, but no salaries were stated. And keep in mind, the Bain salaries are for master's interns for one company, Bain Capital. The slide show says the internships are 10 weeks. Isn't that Mitt Romney's company?

Old 04-07-2014, 09:16 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
No salaries were stated IN THE SLIDESHOW!

Old 04-07-2014, 09:29 AM

4,040 posts, read 7,440,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
I got my degree because I had specific career goals in mind. I didn't go to college straight out of high school because I didn't know what I wanted to do at the time. It took me a few years to figure it out.

The purpose of a degree is to prove formal education relating to certain subjects. Most people need it as a stepping stone into their career.

So why would someone go to school when they don't even have a career in mind, and then try to match up jobs with their degree after they graduate? That makes about as much sense as going out and buying a tool for which you have no use for. And then wandering aimlessly around the house trying to find something to fix that requires that tool. It's just non-sense.

Don't tell me it's because they just want to get "educated" or "enlightened". It doesn't take tens of thousands of dollars and years of your life to audit courses or go to the library.

And don't tell me it's because employers are looking for just any degree. The kinds of jobs requiring an arbitrary degree are just more of the same crappy ones you already have access to without a degree.
Many people go straight to college because they don't want to waste years between high school and college, knowing that they will have to go through college anyway. It's as simple as that.

I do agree, however, that students should have a very clear idea as to what professional path they want to purse in life when they apply to college at the end of high-school.
This requires adolescent maturity and drive, however, and most American teenagers are anything but.
Or it might require vigorous parental guidance but in the US parents are supposed to let their children "find themselves" indefinitely until they can make "their own choices".
Never mind letting the child re-invent the wheel like this can become extremely expensive for the poor young dude.

The entire learning and maturation process is very delayed in the US; so many young people finish high-school as complete children who have a whole lot more to grow and a whole lot more to learn before being able to make any decent decision about life.
For most, this delay in maturity can be very COSTLY.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:44 AM

2,734 posts, read 4,150,019 times
Not everyone knows what they want to do at 18.

Besides, I've known plenty of people who went to college sure of what they wanted to do and they ended up taking classes in other subjects that changed their minds. They found their passions elsewhere.

I knew someone who was sure that she wanted to be a doctor. But she got a D in Chemistry in college and finally realized that medical school might not be for her.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:08 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,298,154 times
I knew exactly what I wanted to do when I went to college, and I selected my undergraduate institution (Kenyon College) based on that goal. I wanted to be an English major and a fiction writer. Somewhere along the way I changed to a math/chemistry double major. I got a PhD in biochemistry, but my research was very analytical. I then worked as a postdoc for a physicist doing nanomaterials research. Now, I teach several types of chemistry, I have an analytical chemistry research program, and I consult for engineering companies and mentor electrical engineering graduate students. I am also in my mid thirties, so I expect my career has time to take quite a few more twists and turns. I still write fiction as a hobby, though.

It is not necessary to stick to the plans you make when you are 17-18 years old to have success. A well rounded education is sometimes the best way to prepare for a dynamic career. An 18 year old doesn't know enough about what their interests and skills are best suited for. Sometimes, you need to study a few things in depth to find your passion. I could go on and on about the balance of skills needed to make a sci/tech career work, but I'll just be brief and say that I have found value in every course that I have ever taken, even subjects as unrelated as ancient religions and chaos theory in dynamical systems.

Not everyone is going to be engaged by everything in a liberal arts curriculum, but it seems pretty bad taste to criticize those that are.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:12 AM

27,560 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
Not everyone knows what they want to do at 18.

Besides, I've known plenty of people who went to college sure of what they wanted to do and they ended up taking classes in other subjects that changed their minds. They found their passions elsewhere.

I knew someone who was sure that she wanted to be a doctor. But she got a D in Chemistry in college and finally realized that medical school might not be for her.
I failed a few classes in college and had to repeat them. In the end, I still graduated with an engineering degree.

Failure and struggle are a part of life. Nothing that is worthwhile comes easily.

Your friend did not try hard enough to achieve her dream and gave up too quickly.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:59 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,520,027 times
Quote:
I got my degree because I had specific career goals in mind. I didn't go to college straight out of high school because I didn't know what I wanted to do at the time. It took me a few years to figure it out.

The purpose of a degree is to prove formal education relating to certain subjects. Most people need it as a stepping stone into their career.

So why would someone go to school when they don't even have a career in mind, and then try to match up jobs with their degree after they graduate? That makes about as much sense as going out and buying a tool for which you have no use for. And then wandering aimlessly around the house trying to find something to fix that requires that tool. It's just non-sense.

Don't tell me it's because they just want to get "educated" or "enlightened". It doesn't take tens of thousands of dollars and years of your life to audit courses or go to the library.

And don't tell me it's because employers are looking for just any degree. The kinds of jobs requiring an arbitrary degree are just more of the same crappy ones you already have access to without a degree.
People also go to college for the social connections, alumni connections, to add the college's brand to their resume, to explore their academic interests, and because college graduates continue to demonstrate much higher earning power than high school graduates. While many people on these forums seem to think that those reasons are somehow invalid, the idea that one must go to college with a specific career goal in mind strikes me as excessively rigid and narrow-minded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
I agree it makes no sense. Wasted money, still if they feel they must go to college without knowing the exact career they want in life then they should just get a business degree, at least they can get a job with that while still deciding what they want to do.
Business degrees are not necessarily more valuable than any other degree in the arts or social sciences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
the problem I've found with this is all the extra coursework you have to take when you make the change. You really have to choose your major early to have any kind of smooth progression through college, god forbid you change schools, then you have even more classes to take since they don't usually transfer too well. It's a frekkin' nightmare. Anything to keep kids in school as long as possible to suck as much money out of them as possible.
Most people can take "core" or "general ed" requirements through the first 3-4 semesters without limiting their major choices very much. Transferring can be tricky, and most students would be well-advised to choose a school where they can switch majors without having to go to a different school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
Many people go straight to college because they don't want to waste years between high school and college, knowing that they will have to go through college anyway. It's as simple as that.

I do agree, however, that students should have a very clear idea as to what professional path they want to purse in life when they apply to college at the end of high-school.
This requires adolescent maturity and drive, however, and most American teenagers are anything but.
Or it might require vigorous parental guidance but in the US parents are supposed to let their children "find themselves" indefinitely until they can make "their own choices".
Never mind letting the child re-invent the wheel like this can become extremely expensive for the poor young dude.

The entire learning and maturation process is very delayed in the US; so many young people finish high-school as complete children who have a whole lot more to grow and a whole lot more to learn before being able to make any decent decision about life.
For most, this delay in maturity can be very COSTLY.
I think that an 18 year old with a clear idea of their professional path is likely delusional--unless they are already deeply involved in an actual career (i.e., top-tier athlete, musician, dancer, actor, etc.). College is, in part, about developing maturity. In some countries high school goes beyond the age of 18. That is a viable alternative, but would be a huge change in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
I knew exactly what I wanted to do when I went to college, and I selected my undergraduate institution (Kenyon College) based on that goal. I wanted to be an English major and a fiction writer. Somewhere along the way I changed to a math/chemistry double major. I got a PhD in biochemistry, but my research was very analytical. I then worked as a postdoc for a physicist doing nanomaterials research. Now, I teach several types of chemistry, I have an analytical chemistry research program, and I consult for engineering companies and mentor electrical engineering graduate students. I am also in my mid thirties, so I expect my career has time to take quite a few more twists and turns. I still write fiction as a hobby, though.

It is not necessary to stick to the plans you make when you are 17-18 years old to have success. A well rounded education is sometimes the best way to prepare for a dynamic career. An 18 year old doesn't know enough about what their interests and skills are best suited for. Sometimes, you need to study a few things in depth to find your passion. I could go on and on about the balance of skills needed to make a sci/tech career work, but I'll just be brief and say that I have found value in every course that I have ever taken, even subjects as unrelated as ancient religions and chaos theory in dynamical systems.

Not everyone is going to be engaged by everything in a liberal arts curriculum, but it seems pretty bad taste to criticize those that are.
I could not have said it better.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:01 PM

151 posts, read 424,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
I could not have said it better.
You were saying?

If only someone had suggested waiting a little bit before starting college.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/colle...l#post34264531

Old 04-07-2014, 04:33 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,520,027 times
Quote:
You were saying?

If only someone had suggested waiting a little bit before starting college.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/colle...l#post34264531
I was saying that the quoted poster nicely illustrated the importance of a well-rounded education and educational flexibility. I'm not quite sure what your point is. The other thread is about three majors that, in terms of post-graduation job placement, offer little distinction from one another (and an OP who appears not to have any particular career path in mind, nor a particular interest in any of the three discussed majors). I do not see the relevance of that thread, if your post is suggesting that there is any.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities