Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 04:19 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,753,760 times

Advertisements

So many of them, including top politicians. What are the reasons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 08:05 PM

22,572 posts, read 47,641,955 times
Why not?
British sent their kids to America.
It is a great opportunity and (depends where they go) a top-notch education. Even for those NOT in the upper-class!

Old 10-22-2014, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Why not?
British sent their kids to America.
It is a great opportunity and (depends where they go) a top-notch education. Even for those NOT in the upper-class!
You didn't answer my question.
I'm only talking about upperclass who could have chosen Harvard and Yale.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:14 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,160,032 times
There are excellent schools in Britain, but there are just as amazing schools here in the States. I think the upper classes send their kids to British universities for the same reason that the wealthy used to send their unmarried daughters to Britain in the Gilded Age. Americans always think of the British in an unusual way - it is images of class, wealth, and style. When your kids go to these universities they will meet and socialize with wealthy British people and the parents think some of that poshness will rub off on their kids. Also, remember that people make a lot of social as well as business connections during university and it helps them later in life.

This is a rumor but when Carol Middleton found out that Prince William was attending St. Andrews, she wanted her daughter Kate to attend the same school and the rest is history...

Old 10-22-2014, 08:21 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,766,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
You didn't answer my question.
I'm only talking about upperclass who could have chosen Harvard and Yale.
You do realize, right, that many attend Harvard for free?

Harvard University Is Now FREE for Students of Low Income Families | Urban Intellectuals

Families may choose a British school for the course of studies and the experience. Many students do a semester abroad or a J-term abroad or even a course abroad, taking 1 or more classes in a foreign university for a semester, for the experience.

One of my sons had a course in Europe. He was there for 3 weeks for an intensive course and was required to write an extensive paper on his experience and what he learned for a 3 credit class.

My other son's major did not mesh with any time abroad. However, my 3rd son hopes to spend a semester somewhere in Europe.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
You do realize, right, that many attend Harvard for free?

Harvard University Is Now FREE for Students of Low Income Families | Urban Intellectuals

Families may choose a British school for the course of studies and the experience. Many students do a semester abroad or a J-term abroad or even a course abroad, taking 1 or more classes in a foreign university for a semester, for the experience.

One of my sons had a course in Europe. He was there for 3 weeks for an intensive course and was required to write an extensive paper on his experience and what he learned for a 3 credit class.

My other son's major did not mesh with any time abroad. However, my 3rd son hopes to spend a semester somewhere in Europe.
I live in Boston and I know almost all Harvard students receive some scholarship.
Probably that's the reason: it's not for "noble" families in particular. In Britain, I heard royal kids and so on can have a separate program even if they attend the same university as other kids.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:28 PM

514 posts, read 764,395 times
It's actually the reverse. Wealthy families abroad try to send their kids to elite American universities. As far as college education standards are concerned, America is perceived as having the absolute best educational system -- It really is where every serious foreign student aspires to get to. To put it another way, if a british person has a choice between oxford and harvard, he or she will almost always choose the latter.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e130478 View Post
It's actually the reverse. Wealthy families abroad try to send their kids to elite American universities. As far as college education standards are concerned, America is perceived as having the absolute best educational system -- It really is where every serious foreign student aspires to get to. To put it another way, if a british person has a choice between oxford and harvard, he or she will almost always choose the latter.
Again, I'm only talking about upperclass American families, not some English kid who wants to become a biologist.

Yes, America has the best schools. So why do they study abroad?

Old 10-22-2014, 08:46 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,439,623 times
I'm not at all sure anyone in this forum would know why upper class American families send their children overseas to universities. It would only be guessing, which doesn't really tell anything. if I have questions about something, I don't want guesswork. If such described families choose to take such a path, a negative reflection should not be construed by anyone. It's a luxury of living in a free country.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:32 PM

371 posts, read 555,919 times
Regarding the daughter of a political couple who has been in news lately (all three of them, plus a baby), getting a PhD in the UK made sense because it appears that the time commitment for the degree (or at least the time spent on campus taking classes) was much shorter for the UK program. This daughter had previously enrolled in a PhD program at NYU but didn't last there very long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities