Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 10:45 PM

77 posts, read 87,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
I think your best bet to get a career in banking is to get a sales oriented job for financial products. Maybe start as a document processor for a mortgage broker (or insurance broker?) with the intention that they will teach you the business on how to be a mortgage broker. Once you get experience, you can do the same work at a bank. It will be tough because processors are paid poorly like file clerks and mortgage brokers are often compensated on commission (so you have to be really good to make a living at it). The best mortgage brokers I know are awesome communicators and build strong relationships with realtors. Once at the bank, you can use those skills to get into other financial products (you'd want to then focus on stuff that is marketed to small businesses, not individuals-as that's where the real money is made).

Cash operation is a tiny portion of what a bank does and it is not where they make their money. The real numbers people help decide on things like who gets loans and what the underwriting standards are, creating financial products, or selling million dollar financial products to big business, so the small business work is often those that are more skilled at relationship building and sales than their quantitative skills. But small businesses banking is the bread and butter of a lot of banks.

Good luck.
Where would I look for these jobs selling financial products? I thought that a bank teller already did that (and it seems to be on the lowest rung of the ladder).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcmtcm View Post
The most miserable job I ever had was a bank teller. I also had a bachelor's and couldn't find work. The customers were fine, the co-workers were miserable, and the sales pitches you had to deliver to the customers for a decent review, were ridiculous. I still get a nervous twitch every time I see a PNC Bank. Hated that job.

Look for administrative support jobs at a college, in a school, hospital...anything other than retail banking.
And that's precisely why I refuse to pay money for some bogus bank teller course. I might work at a bank for a few days, say f@$* this, and walk back out. Stories like yours prove that this is a possible (but not guaranteed outcome) for me. Hence that few hundred would be a waste of money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideman View Post
Oh so you wanted a reasonable suggestion? Is it reasonable to assume that if you work for weeks/months as a cashier it qualifies you for a teller job? Do you think that by going on for a masters, going into debt another 30-40k, is going to solve your problem? Because those are the reasonable suggestions you've received and are receiving. And is it always reasonable to speak your mind even if you accomplish nothing by doing it?

Alright I admit it is ridiculous to have a teller training course for $800. But that's what they charge and banks and/or individuals must be paying for it, and think it has value. Otherwise why would they offer it? The over-credentialization and over-certification of workers is just one way to whittle down the applicant pool. But that's for another thread. I've been an entrepreneur for over 30 years and I hire all the time, from GED holders to PhD's. If someone shows initiative by training outside my industry vs. someone that wants me/us to train them, who do you think I'm going to choose? I will always choose someone that wants to benefit me over someone that feels they're doing me a favor by coming to work for me. It costs employers a lot of money to train on the job and there's no guarantees that employee is going to stay with you when their training is over.

What you need to do is have an end goal. Determine what you want to do with your life, what education/credentials are necessary and work backwards from that goal. Sure you may have to do jobs you dislike, but so what? You can take solace in the fact that you're working towards a goal.
Get real, your suggestion of spending close to a grand for a job I might drop a month later sucks and I'm not buying it. It is not an economical use of the scarce resources I have. Nothing more needs to be said on the matter. If I returned to school, it would be for a bachelors degree in an entirely new field, not a masters in the same lousy field. That actually is a solid suggestions, since I have even conceded myself that I HATE my field and I have very poor job prospects with my field. I do not want to be scraping by in life. I want to be able to have some breathing room and not always have to worry about money. Yes it is reasonable to always speak my mind because I found that it simplifies a lot of situations and makes the path between my starting point and my goal shorter. Being a very straightforward person is engrained in my nature and that's not going to change. I am not committed/ultra-motivated to become a teller. It is a job that pays around the same that I'm making now and not much more than mcdonalds. If I get it, I get it. But I'm not going to cross heaven and earth for such a lowly position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
FYI, I really doubt that certification program is for novice tellers trying to get an entry level job. The banks purchases those for their employees if they don't have a decent internal training system. It is obvious from the pricing scheme. "Members" are banks that join and pay dues to the trade association.
My point exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post
Only other idea I have offhand is to consider selling insurance. My father made a very nice living selling insurance; property, car, etc. He started out as an agent and eventually started his own agency. Back in his day he didn't have to compete with companies selling directly to customers over the internet, it wasn't around yet, but I believe there's still a job market for agents. Look through the yellow pages and I'm sure you'll see plenty of agencies, meaning there is a market for it, and also for adjusters.

The reason I bring up insurance is because I don't think the training is nearly as long as you went through to get your Bachelor's. When my father started out there wasn't near the requirements there are today in my state to become licensed to sell insurance, but I really don't believe it's that bad.

One idea might be to contact insurance agencies to let them know you are considering becoming an agent and ask if they have job opportunities as an office clerk. That would give you working knowledge of the forms that are used and different issues that come up. I know in smaller independent insurance agencies like my father had, the ladies or guys that answer the phones type up forms, enter info into the system, keep the files in order, etc. If you had a job like that the agency might hire you as an agent once you finished your course(s) and testing, especially after proving yourself a good, reliable worker who can deal with people well. Or you could just remain at your retail job until you finish your courses and testing and find a job then. Either way I suspect you'd have opportunities.

That might not be for you, hard for me to say, however the fact you have a degree in psychology tells me you probably don't have trouble interacting with people. Even though it looks like you wont be working in your field of study any longer at least you developed skills that will help you as you give something else a try.

Try not to get too discouraged. Hope you find a job you like that pays decently.

Another thought I just had was it might not be such a bad idea to contact Manpower in your city/town to see what type of opportunities might be available in your field of psychology. I realize you don't want to work dealing with people's problems any longer, but who knows what might be available. Maybe an advertising firm wants to psycho-analyze potential customers and has a job available. Ok, maybe that's a stretch, but I'm using it as an example that something totally different from what you are used to using your degree for might be out there. Manpower has a professional side for employment opportunities, it's not just for office clerks, and day laborers.
Actually, the part in bold is a big part of why I want to leave psychology. I'm a very introverted person and being around people is a taxing activity to me. Having alone time is a relaxing experience that recharges me. When I come back from my retail job, I feel emotionally drained and lifeless. A less people oriented job would be heavenly for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 11:10 PM

187 posts, read 270,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k3xql510ue View Post
for a job I might drop a month later sucks
This is why you are having trouble finding work. The potential employers see you as overqualified and a flight risk since you are obviously not applying for a job in your studied field. My sister just went through the same thing, graduated with a master's and took months of interviews and rejections before landing a part time retail job.

What is your end goal? Two years post graduation is a long time to go without starting your career. If you are career-seeking, I would advise going back to school for a trade skill or a different Bachelor's degree.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:51 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,227,000 times
Having done both, I will say that while both are emotionally draining (fellow introvert), a bank teller gig is slightly less so. Slightly. I lucked out and was put in the drive-thru window, so I actually enjoyed it. If you are looking to use it as a stepping stone within the organization, you're best bet is to try and get into a large or mid-size local bank or credit union, because they generally do attempt to promote from within before looking for outside hires. That's actually how I got my last full-time job: I was a teller in the main branch of a local credit union, applied for a position in the accounting department that I was unqualified for... but I had got to know the department supervisor because we took the same undesirable 10:30am lunch (turns out she was an introvert too, and took that lunch slot because it was so much quieter). She gave me a shot when the opening materialized, the stars aligned and I discovered my aptitude for number crunching, and I stayed for the 4 years until I left to pop out a few kids and work on an accounting degree in the meantime.

Anyway, if you have some cash-handling experience, my first guess is you are not being hired because on paper you are overqualified; teller positions tend to go to students, moms looking for a part-time job during school hours, or people who have escaped the vortex of retail.
Quote:
Actually, the part in bold is a big part of why I want to leave psychology. I'm a very introverted person and being around people is a taxing activity to me. Having alone time is a relaxing experience that recharges me. When I come back from my retail job, I feel emotionally drained and lifeless. A less people oriented job would be heavenly for me.

Last edited by Ginge McFantaPants; 04-14-2015 at 07:59 AM..

Old 04-14-2015, 08:54 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
I'm a very introverted person and being around people is a taxing activity to me. Having alone time is a relaxing experience that recharges me. When I come back from my retail job, I feel emotionally drained and lifeless. A less people oriented job would be heavenly for me.

If you're interested in being a teller, to get your foot in the door at a bank, but you're not a people person, I think you may be wasting your time and your potential employers' time. Working as a teller or a personal banker or even something like a mortgage or commercial lender or bank manager - all of those require significant "face time" with customers and co workers, as well as selling ability. Even tellers are expected to produce leads and use sales terminology in their position. However, there may be some "behind the scenes" jobs at banks that will be a fit for your introverted personality. But I think you will be very challenged as a teller - not by the money handling but by the requirement that you be friendly, warm, personable, and in SELLING MODE in order to be successful at your job, and therefore to move forward. Not saying you can't do it, but it will strain your natural personality - do you want to do that?

Also, I don't know about your personal history, but I worked in staffing and HR for many years and also as a personal banker and then bank manager. Yes, the upward mobility opportunities in banking can be EXCELLENT but keep in mind that generally speaking, the pay isn't great. What they lack in pay, they sort of make up for in benefits and "bankers hours" but even so, the pay is often just so so at best.

The upside is that the environment is comfortable, professional, somewhat quiet, and there are often opportunities for bonuses. And another poster put it quite well - once you succeed at a bank, it's generally pretty easy to find another job in the industry. If you like banking, and are good at it, then you will find many aspects of the job to be rewarding, in spite of the relatively low pay scale.

Another thing to keep in mind is that many banks require a decent credit score in order to work there. One that's over 600 in many cases. Now - don't get me wrong, I don't think a credit score of 600 is all that great, but my point is that they will often run your credit report before hiring and base part of their hiring decision on that report. The point is that they do not want people who are living desperately or mismanaging their own money to be put into a position of temptation with all that money sitting at their fingertips. The amount of sheer money coming through a bank can really work a number on some peoples' heads, and people can justify a lot when they're desperate or unable to pay their rent.

Finally, remember that the vast majority of banks will also run a criminal background check - local, state, federal, FBI, you name it. They also usually require a finger print check as well as drug testing.

Many banks are open to hiring people who don't have banking experience at all, but especially in those cases, they may require that you take an aptitude test, or series of tests. If you don't pass those, you will simply not get the opportunity to learn on the job, because the test results will show whether or not you have a natural affinity for banking concepts.

Good luck.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:33 AM

50,338 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I have been a bank teller, back before computers, and you actually had to think. Nowadays, it is all done for you on a computer and the job is more about selling services.
I've heard stories about tellers that had to stay overtime to call customers to solicit new accounts. They couldn't leave until they were successful. Unless you go into it on track to move up in banking, I wouldn't recommend it.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:01 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
Quote:

I'm open to reasonable things. But spending close to a grand for a low paying job I might not even like is a joke. It is not economical and it's not a good investment of money. Next thing you know, people will be telling teenagers to get certifications so they can work in mcdonalds. Being smooth was never one of my traits. I have always been the type who speaks my mind and that's not going to change.

Your points are very valid and they have certainly crossed my mind before. Working as a bank teller to get a real job as a higher up in the bank might end up being a pipe dream. If that's the case, then I will have to find something else to do with my life.
That's your prerogative. However, the manner in which you speak your mind is certainly going to impact how others perceive you. If you are looking to have any success, you may need to learn to meet folks half way.

Quote:

I know I haven't read all the posts, so perhaps this was already covered - but you do realize a teller position is a sales/retail position - no?

Old 04-14-2015, 10:15 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,193,944 times
Quote:
Well it's not just a matter of not finding a job in my field. I HATE my field and no longer wish to work in it. I majored in psychology and I worked in a mental institute with juvenile delinquents. It was an absolutely horrible job. It is a complete mismatch for me and I want to go in an entirely different direction. Even when I was working at the mental institute, the head supervisor essentially told me to start looking for a new job soon because I sucked at the job and they were going to replace me soon. I don't want to do any more jobs involving problem people. I'm in the phase where I'm considering jobs outside my field with growth potential, hence why I have a sliver of hope for bank positions, though it is entire possible that sliver of hope is a mirage. Regarding teaching, that is not for me. It takes a certain kind of person to be a teacher and that's just not what I am (to be brief). I'm willing to consider other ideas if you have any....
If nothing pans out, I am thinking about going back to school because I don't know what else to do. I need to be able to support myself and a cashier job is not going to cut it. I will take out all the loans I can get and that will be that. I don't know what else I can do if things don't pan out with my job hunt here.
Why did you study psychology when you don't like working with people, especially "problem people"? Who do you think psychologists treat but people with mental problems?

Quote:
Being smooth was never one of my traits. I have always been the type who speaks my mind and that's not going to change.
I'm going to be blunt here, but IMO, you need an "attitude adjustment". Your posts bleed arrogance and a sense of entitlement, so I'm guessing that you may come across that way in person as well. If you're unwilling to change, then my guess is that you are NOT going to find a job soon.

Furthermore, "going back to school" is not a "reasonable" solution for you when you have no idea of what field you want to pursue and have a poor attitude.

Quote:
As an introvert myself, I get very tired of hearing self-absorbed young people who didn't bother to improve their social skills in high school or college whining about being "introverts" like it was some kind of disability. Well, it's not. You need to work on your "people skills" whether you like it or not if you expect to get anything but a bottom feeder job. Furthermore, being an introvert is not an excuse for being rude or arrogant under the guise of "speaking your mind", either.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:20 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
I used to work in retail, my wife used to work at a bank. There are many, many more opportunities to advance beyond the entry-level position in the retail industry than the banking industry, and most of them pay more money. Plus you don't have the regulations to deal with in retail.

Of course, the downside is that most retail positions are going to require working nights, weekends, and holidays, where banking is still pretty much an 8-5 industry.

Just something you might want to think about before dumping a cashiering job for a teller job.

Old 04-14-2015, 05:18 PM

50,338 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
I used to work in retail, my wife used to work at a bank. There are many, many more opportunities to advance beyond the entry-level position in the retail industry than the banking industry, and most of them pay more money. Plus you don't have the regulations to deal with in retail.

Of course, the downside is that most retail positions are going to require working nights, weekends, and holidays, where banking is still pretty much an 8-5 industry.

Just something you might want to think about before dumping a cashiering job for a teller job.
True. A bank teller is one mistake away from getting fired. There are many regulations now that a bank teller is individually liable for, per Federal law. It's really a thankless, low paying job. Plus the pressure of selling services is no fun.
My DH is retired and works at a home improvement store. He really had no idea before he started working there, how far a conscientious young person could go in the company if they wanted to. Store mangers are typically in their 30s and 40s and get huge bonuses depending upon how well their store does.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:50 PM

77 posts, read 87,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianf408 View Post
This is why you are having trouble finding work. The potential employers see you as overqualified and a flight risk since you are obviously not applying for a job in your studied field. My sister just went through the same thing, graduated with a master's and took months of interviews and rejections before landing a part time retail job.

What is your end goal? Two years post graduation is a long time to go without starting your career. If you are career-seeking, I would advise going back to school for a trade skill or a different Bachelor's degree.
My ultimate end goal is to end up in the middle class. This is a not an easy goal, given that my family is very low income and I'm basically starting with very little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
Having done both, I will say that while both are emotionally draining (fellow introvert), a bank teller gig is slightly less so. Slightly. I lucked out and was put in the drive-thru window, so I actually enjoyed it. If you are looking to use it as a stepping stone within the organization, you're best bet is to try and get into a large or mid-size local bank or credit union, because they generally do attempt to promote from within before looking for outside hires. That's actually how I got my last full-time job: I was a teller in the main branch of a local credit union, applied for a position in the accounting department that I was unqualified for... but I had got to know the department supervisor because we took the same undesirable 10:30am lunch (turns out she was an introvert too, and took that lunch slot because it was so much quieter). She gave me a shot when the opening materialized, the stars aligned and I discovered my aptitude for number crunching, and I stayed for the 4 years until I left to pop out a few kids and work on an accounting degree in the meantime.

Anyway, if you have some cash-handling experience, my first guess is you are not being hired because on paper you are overqualified; teller positions tend to go to students, moms looking for a part-time job during school hours, or people who have escaped the vortex of retail.
I applied even when I was fresh out of school and still didn't get in. I agree that this is a part of it, as well as the huge influx of workers. I agree that a bank teller job will be slightly better than a regular retail job due to the hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
If you're interested in being a teller, to get your foot in the door at a bank, but you're not a people person, I think you may be wasting your time and your potential employers' time. Working as a teller or a personal banker or even something like a mortgage or commercial lender or bank manager - all of those require significant "face time" with customers and co workers, as well as selling ability. Even tellers are expected to produce leads and use sales terminology in their position. However, there may be some "behind the scenes" jobs at banks that will be a fit for your introverted personality. But I think you will be very challenged as a teller - not by the money handling but by the requirement that you be friendly, warm, personable, and in SELLING MODE in order to be successful at your job, and therefore to move forward. Not saying you can't do it, but it will strain your natural personality - do you want to do that?

I want to give it a try, since not much else is happening in my life and I'm not sure what else I can do. My first job was horrible. I don't enjoy my retail job at all, but I'm tolerating it. I do not have the ideal personality type for it, but I'm grinding through it.

Also, I don't know about your personal history, but I worked in staffing and HR for many years and also as a personal banker and then bank manager. Yes, the upward mobility opportunities in banking can be EXCELLENT but keep in mind that generally speaking, the pay isn't great. What they lack in pay, they sort of make up for in benefits and "bankers hours" but even so, the pay is often just so so at best.

How is the pay for jobs that are higher up on the ladder?

The upside is that the environment is comfortable, professional, somewhat quiet, and there are often opportunities for bonuses. And another poster put it quite well - once you succeed at a bank, it's generally pretty easy to find another job in the industry. If you like banking, and are good at it, then you will find many aspects of the job to be rewarding, in spite of the relatively low pay scale.

Another thing to keep in mind is that many banks require a decent credit score in order to work there. One that's over 600 in many cases. Now - don't get me wrong, I don't think a credit score of 600 is all that great, but my point is that they will often run your credit report before hiring and base part of their hiring decision on that report. The point is that they do not want people who are living desperately or mismanaging their own money to be put into a position of temptation with all that money sitting at their fingertips. The amount of sheer money coming through a bank can really work a number on some peoples' heads, and people can justify a lot when they're desperate or unable to pay their rent.

Well this probably will be an issue then. My credit is not good because I defaulted on my student loans. Not sure if that's a total dealbreaker, but whatever.

Finally, remember that the vast majority of banks will also run a criminal background check - local, state, federal, FBI, you name it. They also usually require a finger print check as well as drug testing.

Many banks are open to hiring people who don't have banking experience at all, but especially in those cases, they may require that you take an aptitude test, or series of tests. If you don't pass those, you will simply not get the opportunity to learn on the job, because the test results will show whether or not you have a natural affinity for banking concepts.

Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have been a bank teller, back before computers, and you actually had to think. Nowadays, it is all done for you on a computer and the job is more about selling services.
I've heard stories about tellers that had to stay overtime to call customers to solicit new accounts. They couldn't leave until they were successful. Unless you go into it on track to move up in banking, I wouldn't recommend it.
That would be the only reason I would even consider a job like that, to move up the ladder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
That's your prerogative. However, the manner in which you speak your mind is certainly going to impact how others perceive you. If you are looking to have any success, you may need to learn to meet folks half way.

I know I haven't read all the posts, so perhaps this was already covered - but you do realize a teller position is a sales/retail position - no?
What exactly do you have in mind by meeting people 1/2 way? Yes I do realize it's a sales position. And I would not intend on doing something like that for more than a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Why did you study psychology when you don't like working with people, especially "problem people"? Who do you think psychologists treat but people with mental problems?

I'm going to be blunt here, but IMO, you need an "attitude adjustment". Your posts bleed arrogance and a sense of entitlement, so I'm guessing that you may come across that way in person as well. If you're unwilling to change, then my guess is that you are NOT going to find a job soon.

Furthermore, "going back to school" is not a "reasonable" solution for you when you have no idea of what field you want to pursue and have a poor attitude.

As an introvert myself, I get very tired of hearing self-absorbed young people who didn't bother to improve their social skills in high school or college whining about being "introverts" like it was some kind of disability. Well, it's not. You need to work on your "people skills" whether you like it or not if you expect to get anything but a bottom feeder job. Furthermore, being an introvert is not an excuse for being rude or arrogant under the guise of "speaking your mind", either.
I studied psychology because I did not realize just how bad the job market would be for the degree. I initially planned on going to grad school, but the upper level research/anatomy classes really turned me off to the idea (and grad school would have plenty more of that).

There is nothing arrogant about saying an idea sucks. Arrogance is the feeling that you are better than other people. I do not think I am better than most people, especially considering the socio-economic class I'm in. I am making barely any money and I'm being told to spend almost a grand on something that might not even be my career? Yeah right. When someone says something truly ridiculous, there comes a point when you can't take it seriously. The idea of getting the certification certainly qualifies. Even other people on here commented saying that the bank teller certification isn't a great idea. My problem with jobs stems from the fact that psychology is not marketable. At my retail job, I have no problems at all getting along with my coworkers.

I already do have an idea of what I would like to pursue if I do go back to school. I would probably pursue IST or a related computer field, or even an xray technician.

I never said introversion is a disability. Introversion is someone's ingrained nature. It's not a matter of not enjoying socializing. It's a matter of simply needing more alone time to recharge, since an introvert's brain is a lot more sensitive to dopamine than an extroverts brain. Hence, I would like a job that is more in line with my nature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post

What are some of the salaries for higher level positions in retail and banking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities