Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 03:33 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,621,284 times

Advertisements

Personally I think it's a bit more complex. Universities do have a variety of disclosure requirements, but how "official" info on a website is will vary.

For example, if the policy was updated in the student handbook which was available to you, then it sucks that the website wasn't updated, but technically the school did disclose the current policy to you, you just opted not to read it.

It's easy to blame the university for not having 100% of the info on its website current, but as someone who works in a related area, I'll just say that without fail for most universities something on the website is always out of date or incorrect. Sometimes that's the Department's fault, and sometimes it's IT's fault. We've had pages that we've updated only for IT to flip the wrong switch months later and revert to some older page version.

In the same way, in several states, if you look carefully at the Driver's manual it will specify that the driver's manual (which is what they provide for drivers to know the law) cannot be used as a legal defense? Why? Because the detail of the rules are kept elsewhere, and the manual is just a user-friendly translation [which can't be held responsible].

You can fight this, but while they are indeed at fault for not keeping their website up to date, that doesn't necessarily equate to you getting off the hook either. As others have said, you can hope they take your side as a customer service gesture, but I don't think they're actually obligated to do anything provided they had some other mechanism available to students detailing the actual policy updates, whether that be in the student handbook, or email updates they sent, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 03:40 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
The Dean of your particular school (Engineering, Arts & Sciences, etc) would probably be able to change the grade. Not to say he will. But he likely can. Talk to him.
Sometimes a Dean can change override the rules.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:18 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Some schools do a poor job at maintaining their website. Stick to the policies in the catalog. These are the official policies that the faculty and administrators must follow.

Old 06-04-2015, 05:42 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
I've heard a couple of times that a student should go by the college handbook that was current when they started college. That's because a college should not be able to change course requirements mid stream. I would think the same would apply to grading parameters. I think that what's on a website would not be something the college could be held accountable for though, because as the above posters have said, that could be an IT error. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a note somewhere on the website telling you that you should go to the college for up to date rules. Can you find the rule about c-'s in writing in printed material?

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 06-04-2015, 12:38 PM

145 posts, read 149,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I've heard a couple of times that a student should go by the college handbook that was current when they started college. That's because a college should not be able to change course requirements mid stream. I would think the same would apply to grading parameters. I think that what's on a website would not be something the college could be held accountable for though, because as the above posters have said, that could be an IT error. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a note somewhere on the website telling you that you should go to the college for up to date rules. Can you find the rule about c-'s in writing in printed material?
The printed material does state that the policy is C or better. The policy was changed 2 yrs ago. Maybe it was better to look at the undergrad bulletin but I never thought of that because I assumed what I was reading from their website was correct. Nothing on there tells you to refer to anything else or has anything that lets you know that it's outdated. It does have the date the page was last modified, but that wouldn't necessarily mean that it was outdated.

Old 06-04-2015, 10:30 PM

10,761 posts, read 5,676,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
The part in red has been the official policy at every university I have been associated with, as a student and as a professor. I would bet it is the policy at the OP's university as well.

OP, what does the official catalog/bulletin/handbook for the year that you started say about this issue?

Old 06-05-2015, 03:36 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,118,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBoss View Post
The printed material does state that the policy is C or better. The policy was changed 2 yrs ago. Maybe it was better to look at the undergrad bulletin but I never thought of that because I assumed what I was reading from their website was correct. Nothing on there tells you to refer to anything else or has anything that lets you know that it's outdated. It does have the date the page was last modified, but that wouldn't necessarily mean that it was outdated.
If that much was riding on a class, I would have talked to someone to verify the information. Even within many colleges, different departments have different rules. Again, good lesson learned, never assume anything.

Old 06-05-2015, 03:44 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBoss View Post
Fight the fact that the school has a web page with outdated information still active. Nowhere on the web page does it state that the information is no longer relevant. I knew I was probably going to end up with a C- before the withdrawal period based on the grades that I had up until that point. If I had known that the policy is now C or better, I could have dropped the course and took it over. My point is that the school has misleading information posted.
I think what you really ought to be looking at is what catalog did you enter under, are you still under that catalog, and what does that catalog say?

In many a universities, it's not about what the website says, but rather, the catalog.

Old 06-05-2015, 04:41 PM

145 posts, read 149,179 times
I spoke to the school today. They were willing to do it, but the new system that they use (which was implemented in the fall) would not allow them to make the change. Something about the algorithms of the system and trying to backdate to the old policy. So now the options are for me to try to get the professor to give me INC and I could work with him to bring the grade up (which I don't see happening), or I could ask him to give me an F and then I could retake the class. Initially, taking the F (assuming that he wouldn't give me the INC) sounded great because I could retake the class and get at least a C, and that would boost my GPA up at least .3 points. I spoke with a friend and he said if the professor doesn't give me the INC, then I should just move on. He thinks that a transcript showing a class failed twice will look bad in the long run even if retaking it did raise my GPA. So what do you guys think? If the professor doesn't give me the INC, should I just move on or should I take the F and raise my GPA by retaking the class?

Old 06-05-2015, 09:13 PM

10,761 posts, read 5,676,526 times
Check your school's rules, but it is unlikely that you qualify for an incomplete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities