Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 03:09 PM

195 posts, read 231,647 times

Advertisements

All employers prefer the younger candidate who come cheap and are full of energy and drive. You would be wasting your time in all honesty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 04:07 PM

366 posts, read 731,071 times
Have you considered becoming a paralegal? Since you have an undergrad degree you could get a paralegal certificate (6-9 months) then study for and become certified as a paralegal (www.nala.org). Then you could assist lawyers and see if this is something that you really want to do. Most people are clueless as to how lawyers really spend their days (i.e. "Law and Order" it is not). Anyway you would not have too much time and money involved should you then decide not to go to law school. But should you choose to go you'll probably have to hang out your own shingle after passing the bar, because it's doubtful you'd be hired over younger prospects (as mentioned by other posters).

Old 06-10-2015, 07:42 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,498,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood55 View Post
I am a guy in my mid 50's. I dot feel old, I have the mirror around to remind me of that. I drove over to check out the school I would like to attend. It is a law school. I did undergrad a million years ago. I always wanted to be an attorney, but something always got in the way. I had responsibilities. Now, everyone is grown up with kids of their own. I guess my question is; is this a sound idea given my age and the costs of going to law school? Any advise would be very welcome. Thank you.

As far as I know, you get one chance on this earth to do the things that you want to do.

If you have always wanted to be an attorney, but life got in the way - here is your chance.

Costs depend upon the law school. Will your "Return on Investment" out way the costs? Who really knows.

You want it, and you are young enough to have at least a 20 year career in law. Most likely, more.
I would do it! Go for it!

There will be naysayers - tune them out.

My husband has an uncle who always wanted to be a social worker. He had never completed college. He had three years. He finished at age 62.

He completed his MSW two years later and landed a good job in a field of social work that had always interested him. His life was enhanced and improved by returning to school in every way.

He died at 89, two years ago. He had 24 years in the field.

I home that Uncle Jim's story is of of some encouragement to you. He never retired. He died doing what he loved.

Old 06-11-2015, 11:01 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,498,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I know some attorneys who think it's the most fun work in the world. It really depends on the person's definition of "fun."

Hollywood55 -- the biggest hurdle will be age discrimination. I've changed careers three times now -- each a more radical departure than the last. It becomes harder and harder to find employers who are willing to give you a shot. By the time you get your JD and pass the bar, you'll be pushing 60. You'll be competing with 20-somethings for the same entry-level law positions.

I agree that fun is relative. For some people, learning and earning a degree is more fun than Disney World. Good point.

As far as age discrimination - sure it exists. However, there are some professions where age - and the wisdom acquired there in, are a plus. Law, the clergy, psychology, medicine and higher education are but a few.

I'm a younger baby boomer. I much prefer enlisting the help of professionals who are my age or better. I am honestly not comfortable with "20 something" attorneys. Sorry if that sounds bad. But it's true.

I do not thing age discrimination will be an issue here. His/her age may in fact be a plus.

With some people, anyway.

Old 06-11-2015, 11:14 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,246,631 times
Quote:
I am a guy in my mid 50's. I dot feel old, I have the mirror around to remind me of that. I drove over to check out the school I would like to attend. It is a law school. I did undergrad a million years ago. I always wanted to be an attorney, but something always got in the way. I had responsibilities. Now, everyone is grown up with kids of their own. I guess my question is; is this a sound idea given my age and the costs of going to law school? Any advise would be very welcome. Thank you.
I'm not the grammar police here but unless you are from a non-U.S. English speaking country I would advise that you do not spell advice with an -ise.

Other than that, yes, it is a sound idea at your age considering that if all goes well you could at least put in perhaps twenty years into practice, maybe more.

Pick up a used copy of an LSAT prep book to get a feel for things and go from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johninvegas View Post

There's a ton of young people graduating with law degrees and not nearly as many jobs in the field as there used to be. By the time you graduate and get in your internships, you'll be in your late 50's or early 60's. Employers might be concerned about how long you might be interested in working versus retiring.
Well, either way the OP is still going to be 60.

As for employers; the only thing they are going to be concerned about is if the OP has the chops or not. Lawyers don't become good at their trade until their later years, anyways.

Old 06-12-2015, 08:26 AM

743 posts, read 968,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I know some attorneys who think it's the most fun work in the world. It really depends on the person's definition of "fun."

Hollywood55 -- the biggest hurdle will be age discrimination. I've changed careers three times now -- each a more radical departure than the last. It becomes harder and harder to find employers who are willing to give you a shot. By the time you get your JD and pass the bar, you'll be pushing 60. You'll be competing with 20-somethings for the same entry-level law positions.
I know a couple of attorneys too. It's challenging and somewhat prestigious but if attorneys made $18.50/hr would this guy be interested jumping into such a thing at 50?
So my guess is it's the prestige or the wealth that comes with practicing law to even begin to consider at 50.

Old 06-12-2015, 08:42 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,448,074 times
Will you be accepted into law school? If so, then why not? It'll be hard work, but you already know that. Good luck!

Old 06-12-2015, 08:44 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,897,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
As far as I know, you get one chance on this earth to do the things that you want to do.

If you have always wanted to be an attorney, but life got in the way - here is your chance.

Costs depend upon the law school. Will your "Return on Investment" out way the costs? Who really knows.

You want it, and you are young enough to have at least a 20 year career in law. Most likely, more.
I would do it! Go for it!

There will be naysayers - tune them out.

My husband has an uncle who always wanted to be a social worker. He had never completed college. He had three years. He finished at age 62.

He completed his MSW two years later and landed a good job in a field of social work that had always interested him. His life was enhanced and improved by returning to school in every way.

He died at 89, two years ago. He had 24 years in the field.

I home that Uncle Jim's story is of of some encouragement to you. He never retired. He died doing what he loved.
I agree with this. If you can afford it, do what you love. It is never too late to study.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:06 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,281,745 times
Quote:
I agree with what the others said - if you can afford it - go for it.

My other half is 68 and is working on his MS. He also thinks about going to law school. He is doing it more for self fulfillment.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:15 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,765,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I agree that fun is relative. For some people, learning and earning a degree is more fun than Disney World. Good point.

As far as age discrimination - sure it exists. However, there are some professions where age - and the wisdom acquired there in, are a plus. Law, the clergy, psychology, medicine and higher education are but a few.

I'm a younger baby boomer. I much prefer enlisting the help of professionals who are my age or better. I am honestly not comfortable with "20 something" attorneys. Sorry if that sounds bad. But it's true.

I do not thing age discrimination will be an issue here. His/her age may in fact be a plus.

With some people, anyway.
I do think the OP should do it if money is not an issue but I do think his age will make it more difficult to find a job. You don't graduate law school knowing how to practice law. The reason people go to/prefer older attorneys, doctors, etc. is the experience gained through years of practice in their profession which the OP will not have at his age.

I think continuing to learn new things is always a good idea but incurring a bunch of debt to go to law school at 50 or thinking that it will be an easy career change is a mistake. I will also say that if he hasn't shadowed an attorney to see what the day to day workload is then I would recommend he do so to make sure it's something that he really wants to do. Practicing law is nothing like what is shown on TV.

Good luck OP with whatever you decide.

Last edited by Rowan123; 06-12-2015 at 09:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities