Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 11:19 AM

1,901 posts, read 1,829,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
I'm curious about WGU's classes, but didn't see any syllabi posted online. What sort of exposure to financial accounting, managerial accounting and statistics do you get in their MBA program?
You get "some" exposure but not a lot, same with the bachelor's degree in Business Management. Here's the WGU MBA Overview:

Online MBA | WGU College of Business

You might want to look at doing the MS in Accounting for more of a tailored focus:

Master's in Accounting | Online Master's Degree in Accounting | WGU

I personally have an MBA and 2 WGU bachelor's degrees, along with a bachelor's degree from University of Michigan. ALL FOUR degrees I got 100% paid for with scholarships, grants and tax incentives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 11:30 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,551,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
You get "some" exposure but not a lot, same with the bachelor's degree in Business Management. Here's the WGU MBA Overview:

Online MBA | WGU College of Business

You might want to look at doing the MS in Accounting for more of a tailored focus:

Master's in Accounting | Online Master's Degree in Accounting | WGU

I personally have an MBA and 2 WGU bachelor's degrees, along with a bachelor's degree from University of Michigan. ALL FOUR degrees I got 100% paid for with scholarships, grants and tax incentives.
Thanks for the info. I already have an MBA. My concentration was in Marketing, but we still had to take two accounting classes and a separate statistics class. They were probably the most rigorous classes in the core curriculum and I was surprised that they weren't requirements at WGU. Are there other schools that don't require those classes?

Old 08-05-2015, 11:33 AM

1,901 posts, read 1,829,757 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info. I already have an MBA. My concentration was in Marketing, but we still had to take two accounting classes and a separate statistics class. They were probably the most rigorous classes in the core curriculum and I was surprised that they weren't requirements at WGU. Are there other schools that don't require those classes?
Well, the WGU MBA did include some Accounting coverage. I have both the Business Management and Accounting bachelor's degrees from WGU as well and I would say the Business Management had more Accounting coverage than the MBA did.

The MBA is pretty much a continuation of the Business Management degree in my opinion.

Old 08-05-2015, 04:10 PM

17 posts, read 15,799 times
So I can't respond to all the posts but I'll make a general post. I'm working in a Fortune 500 company as entry level. I'm hoping to eventually move up. Not necessarily to president or anything but maybe a director or manager at some point down the line. The online colleges I have been looking into are very real like Carnegie Mellon so I'm not going to do like a Capella or something. I also want the degree for flexibility so if I need to move around from an engineering position to something else, I'll have the masters as my backing. Right now,I have a BS in Business Administration with a concentration in MIS from a state school. My main fear of waiting out the three years is that by that point I'll be a lot busier and won't have the time or get the needed approval to do it.

Old 08-05-2015, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Man74 View Post
by "real MBA" I was pretty much meaning what you posted

There's not really a point in getting it unless for 2 things:
1. You have the high GMAT, the ~5 years experience and if you get into a high, top ranked one you WILL place better with higher paying companies
2. You have your own company TELL YOU they will help to pay for it and merely want you to get the MBA for a promotion type of deal... in which case it doesn't really matter where you get it

*still, people nowadays getting an MBA from "no name state school" or "University of Phoenix(lol)" with ZERO experience and no company funding them are just wasting their time and money
See this is something I guess I don't really understand. Is it that awful that I don't have the name? Am I really that limited?

Old 08-05-2015, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrider96 View Post
So I can't respond to all the posts but I'll make a general post. I'm working in a Fortune 500 company as entry level. I'm hoping to eventually move up. Not necessarily to president or anything but maybe a director or manager at some point down the line. The online colleges I have been looking into are very real like Carnegie Mellon so I'm not going to do like a Capella or something. I also want the degree for flexibility so if I need to move around from an engineering position to something else, I'll have the masters as my backing. Right now,I have a BS in Business Administration with a concentration in MIS from a state school. My main fear of waiting out the three years is that by that point I'll be a lot busier and won't have the time or get the needed approval to do it.
If you already have a business degree with a concentration in MIS, what do the MBA IT programs that you're considering offer beyond what you've already studied?

Regarding the name: it's not necessary to have a big name on your resume, but it makes things easier. In addition to the alumni network and general prestige, the better business schools will generally also have more recruiting opportunities, especially for full-time on campus students. I'm not sure how applicable that would be for online candidates.

Old 08-05-2015, 04:50 PM

Quote:
If you already have a business degree with a concentration in MIS, what do the MBA IT programs that you're considering offer beyond what you've already studied?

Regarding the name: it's not necessary to have a big name on your resume, but it makes things easier. In addition to the alumni network and general prestige, the better business schools will generally also have more recruiting opportunities, especially for full-time on campus students. I'm not sure how applicable that would be for online candidates.
Well as for full time, I do work full time so any degree I get would have to be part time. Why MBA in IS? Well I was trying to find a middle ground between an MS in Engineering or Computer Science and a full blown MBA in a business concentration. I figured that the MBA in Information System would be the best of both worlds. I learn about exciting new technologies while also knowing how to apply them to a business setting. It's more to further the degree that I already have and be able to move up as well. As for the name, I'm not one to subscribe to "Top 5 or bust" I think that's silly and for most people just isn't going to happen. I was looking more for a name that people would know and that I could network with if I really needed to. While at the same time, if a better position opened up, not losing out to someone with an MBA from a name school.

Old 08-05-2015, 04:55 PM

394 posts, read 435,426 times
Quote:
Well as for full time, I do work full time so any degree I get would have to be part time. Why MBA in IS? Well I was trying to find a middle ground between an MS in Engineering or Computer Science and a full blown MBA in a business concentration. I figured that the MBA in Information System would be the best of both worlds. I learn about exciting new technologies while also knowing how to apply them to a business setting. It's more to further the degree that I already have and be able to move up as well. As for the name, I'm not one to subscribe to "Top 5 or bust" I think that's silly and for most people just isn't going to happen. I was looking more for a name that people would know and that I could network with if I really needed to. While at the same time, if a better position opened up, not losing out to someone with an MBA from a name school.
like stated earlier

the bigger name schools will have more prestige, recognition, and generally place better for the respective fields

The on campus recruiting events at the "more prestigious" schools can sometimes make the investment worth it JUST for that lol. You are essentially just given a foot in the door just for going there

However, since you work full time, it will depend on your availability to make those, but i'm sure those can be arranged.

For networking, yes the name helps again with that. I went to a top 20 business school in my undergrad and was able to easily network with guys who went to top 10 and/or Ivy schools. So you don't necessarily have to go "top 5" for those, but generally aim for top 30. Not "losing out" will rely on the location of the business you are applying for, as most businesses would prefer to hire a regional/close living guy then someone who lives 5 hours away (OBVIOUSLY lol) when all things are equal and also your personality to mesh with the guys at that business

Old 08-05-2015, 05:01 PM

Quote:
I guess what I was trying to get at was whether or not all of your options offer courses that build on what you've already learned, or would you be repeating a lot of the same material? If one of the programs doesn't offer any courses that go beyond what you've already studied, then I would probably favor one of the other schools.

Out of all of the schools that you've mentioned, I would probably shoot for Carnegie Mellon if the tuition isn't prohibitive. They have a good business school, great CS/engineering programs and probably offer a wide variety of electives.

Old 08-05-2015, 05:06 PM

Quote:
I guess what I was trying to get at was whether or not all of your options offer courses that build on what you've already learned, or would you be repeating a lot of the same material? If one of the programs doesn't offer any courses that go beyond what you've already studied, then I would probably favor one of the other schools.

Out of all of the schools that you've mentioned, I would probably shoot for Carnegie Mellon if the tuition isn't prohibitive. They have a good business school, great CS/engineering programs and probably offer a wide variety of electives.
Carnegie Mellon would be the online MBA. It's the one I've seen so far that I'm most interested in. That would require me moving back in with my parents to afford the tuition for a few years. I can do that, don't really want to, but it is an option. It's 120k for that degree, at least that's what the MBA admissions office told me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities