Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 02:18 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,243,961 times

Advertisements

A recent theme I've seen in right wing media is to complain about colleges and the "diversity agenda" and moan about the "loss" of the Western Canon. That seems to be where this comes from.

I don't get it. In the intro classes there is a push to be more inclusive. If you're going to include more diversity in a 16 week course, you've only got so much time, so yeah, something will get cut. However, it's not like the study of Chaucer, Virgil, Homer, or Milton has ended. You just have to specifically sign up for those classes vs. the past when that's all you would get.

In fact I just looked up Yale's English department and there are two other departments that focus on the Western Canon to a high degre - Humanities and Classics, and English links to them and recommends some of those classes for their majors as electives. So the issue here seems to be Reason magazine not understanding how Yale works.

Last edited by redguard57; 06-10-2016 at 02:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 02:29 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,243,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Well, sure. But how many young people never read Keats at all? Ask your kids, age 18 to 30, if you have them, what the foster-child of silence and slow time is. Let me know what you find out :-)
But at Yale you can take this:

Quote:
HUMS 152a, Poetic Influence from Shakespeare to Keats  Harold Bloom The complexities of poetic influence in the traditions of the English language, from Shakespeare to Keats.  HU
Th 1:30pm-3:20pm

catalog.yale.edu/ycps/subjects-of-instruction/humanities/#coursestext

Old 06-11-2016, 09:09 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Some of the best English literature I've read was written by women, but because of extreme sexism in the past, most of their literary works will be from the 1800s forward as mentioned above. There are many English, literary works written by non-white people; but, again, most of them were written more recently. I think there is a disconnect between the title of "English" and what's actually offered by English departments. English departments usually house all literature courses, even the ones that cover non-English literature. And, some of the required readings in English courses were not originally written in English. With all of that taken into account, it no longer sounds ridiculous that English students at Yale want more diversity in their courses because English programs are more general literature programs.
This. The students seem to misunderstand the purpose of the course, which is to teach the historical canon of England, not literature(any literature) that's published in the English language. Some of the confusion might be eliminated if everyone stopped calling literature courses, including HS courses, "English" class, since a lot of HS "English" teachers don't teach language (i.e. grammar, good writing) anyway, and called those courses what they are: literature. And courses about British literature could be called that, or at least, the course catalog and course descriptions could explain (which they may already do--you'd think) that those are courses about England's historical canon.

Why are English Departments so labelled, anyway, as if they're teaching the English language, vs. Russian, French or Asian Languages? It doesn't make much sense.

Old 06-11-2016, 12:26 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,951,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...e-male-writers

Yale Students Tell English Profs to Stop Teaching English: Too Many White Male Poets - Hit & Run : Reason.com

Gee, I wonder why the early English literature canon is so dominated by white males? How do you "decolonize" English literature by eliminating the major English writers who have shaped it? Did the English colonize their own culture?

The academic left has a lot to answer for.

I don't even know what to say about this sort of thing any more. I'm just dumbfounded.
Who gives a **** what color the authors are? Why does everything have to be about race!?

Old 06-11-2016, 11:57 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,922,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
I don't see the difference between a school that pushes a liberal agenda and one that pushes a conservative agenda.
It's like a fight between a mouse and an elephant. I'm rooting for the mouse.

Old 06-12-2016, 02:19 AM

733 posts, read 603,329 times
I'm so tired of the liberals.

In the same way, they should protest math because it's mostly created by white men.

Old 06-12-2016, 09:34 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,480,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
It's like a fight between a mouse and an elephant. I'm rooting for the mouse.
There is nothing you can do about certain personality types being attracted to a certain ideology. Some fields attract more liberals than others. Some fields attract more conservatives than others. There is the tendency for people to become more conservative as they get older. There is also the tendency for people to become more liberal as they become more educated, and that is independent of any kind of "agenda" a school is pushing.

Old 06-12-2016, 11:32 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
That's what happens when your admissions department gives preference to students based on "diversity" at expense of education, grades, and common sense.

It's like the white students taking a class in Chinese literature and complaining that it doesn't cover enough European authors.

Sooner or later, either the Ivy League schools would find their lost ways, or their reputation will start slipping.
There's nothing wrong with admitting a diverse pool of students. The problem in this case seems to be that the "diverse" students opting to major in "English" aren't aware that it's a major all about the literary traditions of England. Their bad.

Old 06-13-2016, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
But at Yale you can take this:

catalog.yale.edu/ycps/subjects-of-instruction/humanities/#coursestext
Harold Bloom knows about the foster-child of silence and slow time!

I wasn't aware that he was still teaching. He's 85 years old. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Bloom

Old 06-13-2016, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This. The students seem to misunderstand the purpose of the course, which is to teach the historical canon of England, not literature(any literature) that's published in the English language. Some of the confusion might be eliminated if everyone stopped calling literature courses, including HS courses, "English" class, since a lot of HS "English" teachers don't teach language (i.e. grammar, good writing) anyway, and called those courses what they are: literature. And courses about British literature could be called that, or at least, the course catalog and course descriptions could explain (which they may already do--you'd think) that those are courses about England's historical canon.

Why are English Departments so labelled, anyway, as if they're teaching the English language, vs. Russian, French or Asian Languages? It doesn't make much sense.
The English department where I got my degree was called English Language and Literature. Couldn't be clearer. American literature was taught in that department.

And, no, I don't call French or Japanese literature classes "English." :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities