Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 09:50 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,938,357 times

Advertisements

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...e-male-writers

Yale Students Tell English Profs to Stop Teaching English: Too Many White Male Poets - Hit & Run : Reason.com

Quote:
The "Major English Poets" sequence, a mandatory two-course commitment for English majors, is particularly problematic, according to the students. These classes cover Geoffrey Chaucer, Edmund Spenser, William Shakespeare, John Donne, John Milton, Alexander Pope, William Wordsworth, and T.S. Eliot. It's not the most diverse line up, to be sure, but it's the one that best reflects history the way it actually happened. Inarguably, these are the most influential poets in the English language.

But students think this sequence "creates a culture that is hostile to students of color."
Gee, I wonder why the early English literature canon is so dominated by white males? How do you "decolonize" English literature by eliminating the major English writers who have shaped it? Did the English colonize their own culture?

The academic left has a lot to answer for.

I don't even know what to say about this sort of thing any more. I'm just dumbfounded.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 06-05-2016 at 02:26 PM.. Reason: please don't quote whole paragraphs. The link is enough
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2016, 09:57 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,568,595 times
Those Yale students need to take a few more history classes. You can take diversified literature classes - - they just have to be from the 1800s forward.

Old 06-05-2016, 12:52 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,480,242 times
Some of the best English literature I've read was written by women, but because of extreme sexism in the past, most of their literary works will be from the 1800s forward as mentioned above. There are many English, literary works written by non-white people; but, again, most of them were written more recently. I think there is a disconnect between the title of "English" and what's actually offered by English departments. English departments usually house all literature courses, even the ones that cover non-English literature. And, some of the required readings in English courses were not originally written in English. With all of that taken into account, it no longer sounds ridiculous that English students at Yale want more diversity in their courses because English programs are more general literature programs.

Old 06-05-2016, 01:06 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Christ almighty.

It IS English. Is it THAT surprising that that particular section is dominated by white males?

This is nothing new. When I was in grad school English education in the mid-90s, there were calls to "diversify the canon," and that certainly happened. The number of required books in secondary school by female writers as well as writers from other cultures has skyrocketed.

Education is about broadening your horizons. If these so-called scholars are actually so fed up that they are walking out of class, then they should get on the stick and research what, if anything, "people of color" were writing in John Donne's day. And if they seriously don't think they have anything to learn from the writers named in that course, they should not be English majors. It's a field based on interpretation and imagination, and it looks like these students don't have the required skills in either.

Old 06-05-2016, 01:15 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,447,597 times
They are the privileged few attending YALE!

Old 06-05-2016, 01:28 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,369,915 times
If they're going to be studying the history of English literature, they're just going to have to accept that not many non-whites were literate in English until the mid- to late-1800s. And the white women who wrote literature were not numerous before then, either.

They can't spend all of their time reading world literature translated into English either, because translations rarely due any justice to an original work.

"Major Poets" is a historical survey course. So most of it would be stuff written before the 20th century. Thus mostly white male authors. If they want to study 20C literature to get exposed to more diversity, I'm sure Yale would offer plenty of 20C literature courses to pick from... This sounds like they want to actually purge white male authors from the English courses and from history, like Stalinist-inspired gender/ethnic despots. How ignorant are Yale's undergrads?

Old 06-05-2016, 01:28 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,003,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...e-male-writers

Yale Students Tell English Profs to Stop Teaching English: Too Many White Male Poets - Hit & Run : Reason.com

Gee, I wonder why the early English literature canon is so dominated by white males? How do you "decolonize" English literature by eliminating the major English writers who have shaped it? Did the English colonize their own culture?

The academic left has a lot to answer for.

I don't even know what to say about this sort of thing any more. I'm just dumbfounded.
Wow. It's just absurd. Has it occurred to anyone that maybe students are leaving the room because that crap is boring as hell?

Old 06-05-2016, 01:38 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,568,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
Wow. It's just absurd. Has it occurred to anyone that maybe students are leaving the room because that crap is boring as hell?
They're English majors - - they aren't going to find that "crap" boring as hell.

Old 06-06-2016, 12:07 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
So study world lit from a variety of eras. If you are taking a class on British poetry from a particular time period, that's always going to be limiting.

Old 06-06-2016, 01:15 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,003,732 times
I think what they are asking for is known as "World Literature before 1600".

As things go, I've done a lot of reading from around the world. Had to read Aeneid when I was taking Roman History, Things Fall Apart when I took Politics of Africa, and the Koran when I was taking Islamic Law.

See the pattern? In the courses of particular subjects, one reads literature particular to that subject.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 06-06-2016 at 01:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities