Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 02:21 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
English is not a major about the literary traditions of England.

It's a major about advanced reading and writing skills in the English language, which is used by a wide variety of people around the world.

Often in English courses professors assign works written by contemporary writers.
What does "advanced reading" mean? What kind of advanced writing skills, beyond what a student who went to a good HS that taught various writing styles wouldn't already know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2016, 03:47 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,984,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What does "advanced reading" mean? What kind of advanced writing skills, beyond what a student who went to a good HS that taught various writing styles wouldn't already know?
There's a huge difference in the kinds of writing one uses in a college and one uses in a high school. Plus especially if they are interested in grad school, English majors may take courses in creative writing, non fiction writing, screenwriting, playwriting, or journalism.

At the graduate level there's also ultimately writing a thesis or dissertation.

Advanced reading? There's a huge difference between reading Thackeray's Vanity Fair than reading snippets of Shakespeare that one would read in high school. There's a massive difference between the texts one reads at the college level, and with one does with those texts at the college level.

Clearly there is no high school program of study that can compete with a BA in English, which one needs to get into fields like advertising and publishing.

Old 09-12-2016, 10:50 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,828,810 times
Odd article IMO.

I was an English major. I went to an HBCU. I had to take 2 semesters of "Major British Writers" as well, which included a review of the lives and works of all the major authors cited in the OP articles.

If you are an English major, IMO you should take the course. You cannot fully grasp English literature without studying/analyzing canonical authors. Very odd that the Yale students wouldn't want to study these authors. They are a part of the cannon for a reason IMO.

That said, I was also required to take two semesters of "World Literature" whereas we studied literature of a variety of countries/cultures. I had to take 2 semesters of "American Literature." I had to take 2 semesters of "African American Literature" because I attended an HBCU and that was required at my university at the time. I was also required to take "Colonial Literature" for a semester, which included works by authors that were from colonized lands of the British Empire including India, Africa, and the Carribbean amongst others.

Other courses I took were of particular periods, such as "The Romantic Period" which heavily focused on the Keats, Coleridge, Shelly, etc. I also took "Southern Writers" which focused on US writers from the South. I took a seminar course regarding James Baldwin and I took a semester as an elective of "Protest Literature" and "The Harlem Renaissance" and a course focused on Irish literary greats in particular.

You get 4 years of college at a minimum. There is more than enough time to read and learn from the old canonized white authors along with being exposed to and reading a variety of other types of authors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities