Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best higher education scene?
Atlanta 5 4.55%
Austin 1 0.91%
Bay Area 24 21.82%
Columbus 1 0.91%
Chicago 15 13.64%
DC 9 8.18%
Detroit 0 0%
DFW 1 0.91%
Houston 3 2.73%
LA 16 14.55%
Miami 0 0%
Nashville 1 0.91%
Philadelphia 14 12.73%
Phoenix 0 0%
Raleigh-Durham 16 14.55%
San Diego 0 0%
Seattle 4 3.64%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2020, 02:32 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,349,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
It depends on whether you get to include Princeton. Princeton and Yale are the two super-elite schools that tilt the balance and both rank higher than Penn. My mother did her undergrad at Penn and my father got his DMD there. I don’t see that Drexel and Temple add much. The Main Line liberal arts schools are really small. Nova is good but not elite.

If you’re allowed to put Stanford and UCB as San Francisco, that’s #2 unless Philly is claiming Princeton.
I don't include Princeton for Philadelphia or NYC, kind of its own bubble.

But regarding the rest of your post... Dismissive to say Drexel and Temple don't add much. They are very large notable universities. Just because a university isn't top 50 doesn't make it irrelevant or subpar... The obsession with college rankings is almost as bad as the obsession with Fortune 500s.

And even though I don't like US News rankings, Villanova ranks right around #50 in the US with an acceptance rate of under 30%, that certainly qualifies Villanova as more than "good".

Not to mention the dozens other colleges / universities / research institutions in and around Philadelphia, and while most Liberal Arts schools are small, they are still a very strong educational facet in favor of Boston and Philadelphia, and don't forget Swarthmore College, which isn't on the Main Line. Also, while I am on the topic... not sure how small size takes away from esteem? Many high ranking universities have small enrollments, Cal Tech is a good example.

I considered a lot of criteria for this thread... Amount / variety of institutions, offerings of institutions, mix of private and state, reputation / rankings, medical education, research centers, overall education community, etc.

My rank for top 5... Obviously Boston is #1, then some combination of LA, SF, PHL, NYC, Chicago. (two would be a tie since they all deserve a spot in top 5).
Each city can make a case.

I am basing this on city + metro, NOT CSA. Including CSA starts to get messy.

Last edited by cpomp; 11-21-2020 at 02:58 PM.. Reason: edited points
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2020, 02:34 PM

9,905 posts, read 6,617,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWright View Post
UChicago And Northwestern is arguably the most elite 1-2 combo outside of Harvard/MIT.

The School of the Art Institute of Chicago (SAIC) is also an elite art/design school of the world.

Illinois Institute of Technology is a solid school as well and was ranked #64 globally by U.S. News and World Report and different professional schools/programs are highly ranked by multiple organizations.

Notre Dame isn't far from Metro Chicago though you didn't define being "just outside." It is "just outside" the CSA by any definition.
What about UCLA-CalTwch-USC (whatever orders you use)

Old 11-21-2020, 08:17 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,130 posts, read 7,581,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
It's probably NYC and LA with this being dependent on whether the CSA is included. If it's by MSA, then they're on overall pretty even footing, but if it's by CSA, then it throws in many more notable higher education institutions for NYC. After that comes Chicago, the Bay Area (CSA), and Philadelphia. Then Pittsburgh, the Research Triangle (CSA), and Atlanta.

The DC-Baltimore CSA isn't very cohesive as an entity, but if considered as one and going by CSAs, then it'd be right ahead of Pittsburgh.
Actually regarding education, it's more cohesive than the average person would think of. John's Hopkins already has a presence in DC, and now they're expanding their campus to the entire Newseum building on Pennsylvania Avenue across the street from the US Capitol. Patients in the DC area get flown to John's Hopkins Baltimore shock trauma for major accidents/ injuries all the time.

Univ Md medical system is a cohesive unit, based in Baltimore, but branches and expansion across both the DC and Baltimore suburbs. A new UMD "Capital Region" hospital is being built as we speak 5 mins away from my house. Also 9 out of 12 schools in the overall Univ Md system of institutions is split among schools in the Washington-Baltimore CSA. These schools are each independent, but cohesively share research or resources among one another.

https://www.usmd.edu/institutions/#

Then you have the entire iNova system covering Northern Va which is an entity of itself. Not to mention MedStar health throughout much of DC. It's pretty robust all over.

I have no problem with grading the metric by metro area only, but it's interesting to look at what exists using both metrics.

Last edited by the resident09; 11-21-2020 at 08:31 PM..

Old 11-21-2020, 08:52 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,202,972 times
Toss up between NYC-NJ-CT corridor and Chicago.

NYC and Chicago get extra cookies for having an elite university or two within respective city limits.

After them, following closely is California( within I place the Bay at a higher standing due to having Stanford.)

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 11-21-2020 at 09:03 PM.. Reason: Helpful post

Old 11-21-2020, 09:11 PM

9,905 posts, read 6,617,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Toss up between NYC-NJ-CT corridor and Chicago.

NYC and Chicago get extra cookies for having an elite university or two within respective city limits.

After them, following closely is California( within I place the Bay at a higher standing due to having Stanford.)
The LA disrespect here. Wow

Old 11-21-2020, 10:30 PM

36,660 posts, read 67,564,755 times
just one criteria to consider...

Rank University No. of Nobel Laureates
Boston:
#1 Harvard 161
#5 MIT 97

New York:
#6 Columbia 96
#10 Princeton 69
#11 Yale 65
#19 NYU 38
#19 Rockefeller 38

Bay Area:
#3 UC Berkeley 110
#7 Stanford 84

Chicago:
#4 University of Chicago 100

Los Angeles:
#8 CalTech 76
#30 UCLA 25

Washington:
#17 Johns Hopkins 39

Philadelphia:
#21 Pennsyvlvania 36

Other US Universities in Top 30:
#12 Cornell 61
#24 University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign 30
#24 University of Minnesota 30
#26 UC San Diego 27
#28 University of Michigan 26
#28 University of Wisconsin-Madison 26
#30 Washington University in St Louis 25

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ty_affiliation

Old 11-21-2020, 10:54 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,202,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
The LA disrespect here. Wow
Ah, LA city got USC and UCLA. Plus, considering Caltech is in the metro, it deserves a spot in the top 5. Philly too, considering UofPenns(though not as high profile as its peers) is Ivy League.

Here is a world's top 100 ranking by QS World University Rankings. For what it is worth, sitting at #9 UChicago is the highest ranked university/college that is located within the city limits of a major city in the USA.( It's #3 in the world after ETH Zurich and Imperial College London)
https://www.topuniversities.com/stud...0-universities

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 11-21-2020 at 11:04 PM..

Old 11-21-2020, 11:10 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,788,713 times
At risk of hijacking the thread, I'm going to reject the original assumption - which is that Boston number one.

In my view, it is a little bit silly to just consider universities when evaluating higher education. A lot of innovative research these days is conducted by teams in industry at places like Google and Invidia, and a summer research internship at one of these companies is extremely valuable for a graduate student. With that in mind, I think the Bay Area actually tops Boston as the center of higher education in the country. It is where the most innovative research is happening in biotech, AI, fintech, etc. It is not uncommon for people at Stanford or UC Berkeley to team up with people in industry to publish papers.

For Chicago, everyone knows Northwestern, U Chicago, IIT - but a lot of people forget that the Argonne National Laboratory and Fermi Lab are both in the Chicago metro area. This gives Chicago some serious credentials in areas like physics and supercomputing.

My rankings:

Bay Area
Boston
LA
Chicago
Atlanta/Raleigh

Old 11-21-2020, 11:33 PM

6,817 posts, read 6,056,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
In my view, it is a little bit silly to just consider universities when evaluating higher education. A lot of innovative research these days is conducted by teams in industry
Plenty of this in Kendall. I know Google and Amazon have big presences, don’t know about Invidia. Have you heard of MIT’s “Engine”? Lot of cool projects there: https://www.engine.xyz/founders/

Moderna (which has been on the news a bit recently) is a company started by Harvard people.

Quote:
It is where the most innovative research is happening in biotech, AI
I’d love to see a source for this one.

Old 11-21-2020, 11:59 PM

10,113 posts, read 9,984,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
It's probably NYC and LA with this being dependent on whether the CSA is included. If it's by MSA, then they're on overall pretty even footing, but if it's by CSA, then it throws in many more notable higher education institutions for NYC. After that comes Chicago, the Bay Area (CSA), and Philadelphia. Then Pittsburgh, the Research Triangle (CSA), and Atlanta.

The DC-Baltimore CSA isn't very cohesive as an entity, but if considered as one and going by CSAs, then it'd be right ahead of Pittsburgh.
Just go by MSA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities