Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best higher education scene?
Atlanta 5 4.55%
Austin 1 0.91%
Bay Area 24 21.82%
Columbus 1 0.91%
Chicago 15 13.64%
DC 9 8.18%
Detroit 0 0%
DFW 1 0.91%
Houston 3 2.73%
LA 16 14.55%
Miami 0 0%
Nashville 1 0.91%
Philadelphia 14 12.73%
Phoenix 0 0%
Raleigh-Durham 16 14.55%
San Diego 0 0%
Seattle 4 3.64%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2020, 12:32 PM

9,847 posts, read 6,566,773 times

Advertisements

No arguing the Boston area as the undisputed king of higher education. But who qualifies for second? For sakes of this thread, if a major school is just outside of a metro, we can count it (as is often the case).

Some candidates:

Raleigh-Durham: The famous research triangle, home to the largest research park in the world. Home to Duke, NC State and UNC. Almost feels like the another version of Boston.

Bay Area - The big tech capital of the world is this partly due to its education. Stanford University is colloquially grouped with Silicon Valley for a reason. Then let's not forget about Berkeley and Santa Clara. And of course if those aren't enough, Bay Area is one of the medical and biosciences capitals of the nation.

LA - As great as LA is, it's underrated in my opinion, as we usually think of SF-SJ as the education capital of Cali. Not that it isn't, but Los Angeles has a lot to say about that. LA probably has the best balance of top tier public and private schools alike. UCLA, USC and CalTech? That trio itself says enough. The fact UC Irvine is an afterthought speaks on how great those are.

Philadelphia - This one also seems to be underrated. Not sure why. UPenn, Villanova, Carnegie, it has elite schools established. But one thing Philly has better than other cities with education scenes of its caliber is that it has an amazing non-elite school scene as well. This gives it additional points.

Chicago - U Chicago and Northwestern are the kings here. But it's depth isn't bad at all either. Loyola, UIC and DePaul are great in their own right.

Atlanta - Not quite as high as those above, but worth mentioning. Georgia Tech and Emory make a great duo. UG isn't too far away. But it lacks the depth as those above.

Houston - Almost didn't want to mention Houston, who's only elite is Rice (though Rice alone says a lot). But that's not why it's to be mentioned. Which is the Texas Medical Center, having some of the best medical schools in the nation (Baylor, UTH, etc) along with the largest cancer research center and a recent biotech push.

Many other cities such as Miami, Austin, Seattle either lack depth or aren't quite as top tier, but let me know who I missed.

Note: Remember, I said metro. Not specifically MSA. So while there are different opinion of what's the best definition of a metropolitan area, think of overall region such as Palo Alto to SF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2020, 12:35 PM

Indiana as a whole has a lot of activity too, but they're too spread out.

Old 11-21-2020, 12:35 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times
San Francisco is probably #2.

Old 11-21-2020, 12:41 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,287,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
No arguing the Boston area as the undisputed king of higher education. But who qualifies for second? For sakes of this thread, if a major school is just outside of a metro, we can count it (as is often the case).

Some candidates:

Raleigh-Durham: The famous research triangle, home to the largest research park in the world. Home to Duke, NC State and UNC. Almost feels like the another version of Boston.

Bay Area - The big tech capital of the world is this partly due to its education. Stanford University is colloquially grouped with Silicon Valley for a reason. Then let's not forget about Berkeley and Santa Clara. And of course if those aren't enough, Bay Area is one of the medical and biosciences capitals of the nation.

LA - As great as LA is, it's underrated in my opinion, as we usually think of SF-SJ as the education capital of Cali. Not that it isn't, but Los Angeles has a lot to say about that. LA probably has the best balance of top tier public and private schools alike. UCLA, USC and CalTech? That trio itself says enough. The fact UC Irvine is an afterthought speaks on how great those are.

Philadelphia - This one also seems to be underrated. Not sure why. UPenn, Villanova, Carnegie, it has elite schools established. But one thing Philly has better than other cities with education scenes of its caliber is that it has an amazing non-elite school scene as well. This gives it additional points.

Chicago - U Chicago and Northwestern are the kings here. But it's depth isn't bad at all either. Loyola, UIC and DePaul are great in their own right.

Atlanta - Not quite as high as those above, but worth mentioning. Georgia Tech and Emory make a great duo. UG isn't too far away. But it lacks the depth as those above.

Houston - Almost didn't want to mention Houston, who's only elite is Rice (though Rice alone says a lot). But that's not why it's to be mentioned. Which is the Texas Medical Center, having some of the best medical schools in the nation (Baylor, UTH, etc) along with the largest cancer research center and a recent biotech push.

Many other cities such as Miami, Austin, Seattle either lack depth or aren't quite as top tier, but let me know who I missed.

Note: Remember, I said metro. Not specifically MSA. So while there are different opinion of what's the best definition of a metropolitan area, think of overall region such as Palo Alto to SF.
Out of the choices, Los Angeles. Strange to see an option for Nashville but not Pittsburgh

Old 11-21-2020, 12:59 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
1. Boston.

2. Bay Area
3. Chicago
4. New York
5. Raleigh Durham
5. LA

Old 11-21-2020, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
1. Boston.

2. Bay Area
3. Chicago
4. New York
5. Raleigh Durham
5. LA
Just noticed I left NYC off the poll

But why Chicago over LA?

Old 11-21-2020, 01:06 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Just noticed I left NYC off the poll

But why Chicago over LA?
Honestly after i submitted this I realized LA has all the P schools there, UCLA, Harvey Mudd, etc

Id actually make it

1. Boston

2. SF
3. LA
4. Chicago
5. NYC
5. Raleigh

Old 11-21-2020, 01:08 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
I dont know. I would say NY or DC or possibly Philadelphia? Not just universities, but academic and intellectual communities, organizations, institutions, etc. The Bay Area is probably up there too but I think we can give credit where it's due in this regard.

Old 11-21-2020, 01:15 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Honestly after i submitted this I realized LA has all the P schools there, UCLA, Harvey Mudd, etc

Id actually make it

1. Boston

2. SF
3. LA
4. Chicago
5. NYC
5. Raleigh
Rather odd to leave Philadelphia off this list. The amount of educational institutions (many notable), and widespread higher education community gives Philadelphia a place on the podium. Philadelphia is also #2 (after Boston) for the most and best liberal arts colleges.

Overall, I would rank the Philadelphia area in the top 5 easily.

Last edited by cpomp; 11-21-2020 at 01:25 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 11-21-2020, 01:33 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
It's probably NYC and LA with this being dependent on whether the CSA is included. If it's by MSA, then they're on overall pretty even footing, but if it's by CSA, then it throws in many more notable higher education institutions for NYC. After that comes Chicago, the Bay Area (CSA), and Philadelphia. Then Pittsburgh, the Research Triangle (CSA), and Atlanta.

The DC-Baltimore CSA isn't very cohesive as an entity, but if considered as one and going by CSAs, then it'd be right ahead of Pittsburgh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities