Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2021, 08:50 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,829 posts, read 58,408,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I would, too. That said, for many jobs--especially in government--the DBA from CIU might be the "best qualified" over the BS from Caltech, regardless of the rigor of the program. If a program qualification list calls for an advanced degree and it's between the CIU DBA vs. the Caltech BS, the DBA will win out.
But... doubt the named student is looking / planning for 'employment' / jobs. That would be a tragic mis-use of her skillset.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2021, 08:04 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,340,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
But... doubt the named student is looking / planning for 'employment' / jobs. That would be a tragic mis-use of her skillset.
It will be challenging for a 17 year old with a non-research nationally accredited doctorate to enter the workforce.

She can’t teach at most universities with her degrees.

She has no work experience.

She’s over qualified (and also under qualified) for most entry level jobs.

Old 03-27-2021, 08:11 PM

1,486 posts, read 1,468,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
It only has National and not Regional accreditation. So while it’s ok, it’s not a rigorous school.
If people would simply understand that aspect of accreditation, we all would be better off. What a raunchy business.

Old 03-28-2021, 09:43 AM

Quote:
It will be challenging for a 17 year old with a non-research nationally accredited doctorate to enter the workforce.

She can’t teach at most universities with her degrees.

She has no work experience.

She’s over qualified (and also under qualified) for most entry level jobs.
Most of our local homeschool over-achievers own their own companies, or do remote consulting. Some are employing over 100 and have businesses exceeded $10m / yr. Some are inventors and do new product development. Others pursue professional music.

I assume this gal will survive, in spite of her limited educational experience.

I imagine she was well on that path before graduation.

School is just a very minor tool in your lifetime toolbox.

Old 03-28-2021, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Most of our local homeschool over-achievers own their own companies, or do remote consulting. Some are employing over 100 and have businesses exceeded $10m / yr. Some are inventors and do new product development. Others pursue professional music.

I assume this gal will survive, in spite of her limited educational experience.

I imagine she was well on that path before graduation.

School is just a very minor tool in your lifetime toolbox.
She can certainly start a business.

Consulting? You have to be joking if you think someone would hire her as a consultant at 17 with no practical experience.

Old 03-28-2021, 12:39 PM

Quote:
She can certainly start a business.

Consulting? You have to be joking if you think someone would hire her as a consultant at 17 with no practical experience.
Many on our Homeschool group do 'consulting' / contract gigs' (though a 3rd party business). Often IT, but they are pretty sharp and competent and are EXCELLENT listeners / learners and they DELIVER!!! (They are used to it, such as the subject person of this thread... "Don't sit around on their hands waiting to be told what to do," as do USA traditional students.

I use an engineering consulting company for some of my CAD gigs that I don't have time for. I often ask for specific deliverables which I know are done (very well, accurate and quickly) by Homeschoolers. I would expect "Kimberly Strable, 17, of Great Falls" quite capable of owning and managing that type of operation. (within her expertise / desire). Nothing new... I was doing the same at age 14 in 9th grade (Engineering design and drafting for a commercial construction company) That was more than 50 yrs ago. My dad had a business with 3 employees when he was 14 (During the Great Depression). OP subject will be fine UNLESS she gets stuck back in a USA school... hopefully she's beyond that (forever).

Old 03-28-2021, 02:08 PM

30,750 posts, read 18,441,309 times
Quote:
Many on our Homeschool group do 'consulting' / contract gigs' (though a 3rd party business). Often IT, but they are pretty sharp and competent and are EXCELLENT listeners / learners and they DELIVER!!! (They are used to it, such as the subject person of this thread... "Don't sit around on their hands waiting to be told what to do," as do USA traditional students.

I use an engineering consulting company for some of my CAD gigs that I don't have time for. I often ask for specific deliverables which I know are done (very well, accurate and quickly) by Homeschoolers. I would expect "Kimberly Strable, 17, of Great Falls" quite capable of owning and managing that type of operation. (within her expertise / desire). Nothing new... I was doing the same at age 14 in 9th grade (Engineering design and drafting for a commercial construction company) That was more than 50 yrs ago. My dad had a business with 3 employees when he was 14 (During the Great Depression). OP subject will be fine UNLESS she gets stuck back in a USA school... hopefully she's beyond that (forever).
And the press that she's getting now probably would only help her in that regard, too.

Old 03-28-2021, 05:35 PM

Quote:

OK, I see where you’re coming from. I was writing and selling software at 14.

Old 03-28-2021, 05:54 PM

5,099 posts, read 2,773,285 times
I think the point of the OP is that Kim Strable set a record. That's all. This doesn't mean that she is some kind of genius. Again, a record was set. That's all. No further expectations should be set for her. She may advance in a career rapidly or not. We don't know. And the reputation of the school where she got her doctorate doesn't matter as long as it's legal and accredited. Gets entered in the books as accomplished. No fuss, no muss.

Records are set all the time without further expectations. You can be the first person to successfully climb Mount Everest. Further expectations? Not necessary. You can go on to try to set other records or you can just sit on your laurels and enjoy the record that you set.

Old 03-29-2021, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
I think the point of the OP is that Kim Strable set a record. That's all. This doesn't mean that she is some kind of genius. Again, a record was set. That's all. No further expectations should be set for her. She may advance in a career rapidly or not. We don't know. And the reputation of the school where she got her doctorate doesn't matter as long as it's legal and accredited. Gets entered in the books as accomplished. No fuss, no muss.

Records are set all the time without further expectations. You can be the first person to successfully climb Mount Everest. Further expectations? Not necessary. You can go on to try to set other records or you can just sit on your laurels and enjoy the record that you set.
I did some more research and her BS is from Montana State University - Northern in 2019, which is regionally accredited. 4.0 GPA as well.

She went straight to her DBA it seems which she did in 2019-2021.

Regardless of her ultimate path in life this definitely shows achievement and focus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities