Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2021, 01:56 PM

5,095 posts, read 2,773,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I did some more research and her BS is from Montana State University - Northern in 2019, which is regionally accredited. 4.0 GPA as well.

She went straight to her DBA it seems which she did in 2019-2021.

Regardless of her ultimate path in life this definitely shows achievement and focus.
I don't see why her undergraduate degree matters to setting the DBA record. Of course we already knew that she bypassed her Master's degree and since she had completed her DBA at an extraordinary young age, she must be smart and have something going for her like high intelligence. That was her key to achieving this record.

Yes, setting a record like that certainly shows achievement and focus, no matter what she did in the past and what she does in the future.

But of course, there are no guarantees to success. But I thought that we were concentrating on setting that record, not other factors. The success of earning that record stands on its own.

Last edited by BusinessManIT; 03-29-2021 at 02:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2021, 12:57 PM

30,707 posts, read 80,076,703 times
Someone will hire her for the novelty. Then when the novelty wears off (when she is 21 or 22) they will quietly get rid of her since she does not actually know anything. No one is going to put a 17 year old in a position to actually gain some business acumen She will be put on display at conferences and workshops, not put to work. However she can always make do as an entrepreneur. One of those "consulting" businesses that tell companies how to be better without really doing anything. They seem to do OK. Or she can go into sales if she has the personality for it. She would be well suited for a sales positions and that might even lead to a meaningful management position over time. If she has the personality for it.

Frankly I feel sorry for her. She is going to miss some of the best years of her life and some of the best time for personal development and for developing lifelong friendships and connections.

Old 03-30-2021, 04:17 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,340,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Someone will hire her for the novelty. Then when the novelty wears off (when she is 21 or 22) they will quietly get rid of her since she does not actually know anything. No one is going to put a 17 year old in a position to actually gain some business acumen She will be put on display at conferences and workshops, not put to work. However she can always make do as an entrepreneur. One of those "consulting" businesses that tell companies how to be better without really doing anything. They seem to do OK. Or she can go into sales if she has the personality for it. She would be well suited for a sales positions and that might even lead to a meaningful management position over time. If she has the personality for it.

Frankly I feel sorry for her. She is going to miss some of the best years of her life and some of the best time for personal development and for developing lifelong friendships and connections.
I don’t feel sorry for her but her goal being an “executive” doesn’t say much. Executive for what?

Old 03-30-2021, 04:28 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,828 posts, read 58,408,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I don’t feel sorry for her but her goal being an “executive” doesn’t say much. Executive for what?
Hopefully to get others doing the work for her, so she can enjoy life and the richness she can experience and add to it.

Age 17 (and 25) is SO young, we didn't have a clue.

Wish someone would have slapped us up side the head (daily) to 'inform' us of the value of the day we just burned up. (and the value of the relationships we chose NOT to embellish. (I could have used that slap up the head about age 12)

Fortunately, my 5 yr apprenticeship provided a lot of very painful hard knocks.
Military worked for some, ruined others. (including a lot of my friends who did not come home from Vietnam)

We all need to blaze our own path. Best wishes for Kim Strable, may her future be 'enlightened' and wise, and NOT cut short!

I was adding up the classmates I lost pre age 20 (lots for a small country school). Just lost another yesterday (many yrs later, but a 'Best Friend' from elementary school. What a great smile, laughs and a LOT of mischief). If only we had known. So glad we didn't (adventure abounds in mystery).

Old 03-30-2021, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

Depends on how smart she is and what she can do. At my second IT job at a bank, we had a gifted individual like her who had a photographic memory and other smarts. He was hired so that he could analyze discrepancies and report them. Although that's all he did he was part of the IT team and was one of the managers even though he had no one reporting to him. Yes, he was young but management only cared what he could do, not how young he was.

He was rewarded with a manager's title and salary even though us programmers were doing the varied complex work. But he had the brains to do what we couldn't.

This gifted young man did not miss out on anything and led quite a delightful life. He was exempt from overtime work unlike the grunt programmers that had to do it.

So this young woman with the DBA just might have the necessary smarts to be put in doing specialized work that people with average or even above average intelligence could not do. She could be rewarded with higher than usual pay and not have to miss out on anything, leading a better life than us ordinary folks.

Old 03-31-2021, 07:51 AM

30,751 posts, read 18,441,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
Depends on how smart she is and what she can do. At my second IT job at a bank, we had a gifted individual like her who had a photographic memory and other smarts. He was hired so that he could analyze discrepancies and report them. Although that's all he did he was part of the IT team and was one of the managers even though he had no one reporting to him. Yes, he was young but management only cared what he could do, not how young he was.

He was rewarded with a manager's title and salary even though us programmers were doing the varied complex work. But he had the brains to do what we couldn't.

This gifted young man did not miss out on anything and led quite a delightful life. He was exempt from overtime work unlike the grunt programmers that had to do it.

So this young woman with the DBA just might have the necessary smarts to be put in doing specialized work that people with average or even above average intelligence could not do. She could be rewarded with higher than usual pay and not have to miss out on anything, leading a better life than us ordinary folks.
Yep. It'll all come down to what she can do. If she is smart and can adapt to complex environments relatively quickly, she should have a very bright future from where I stand.

Old 04-01-2021, 06:03 AM

5,346 posts, read 6,189,329 times
What does one typically do with a DBA?

Quick research shows it's typically for experienced professionals. Seems like the perfect choice for her.

Old 04-01-2021, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
What does one typically do with a DBA?

Quick research shows it's typically for experienced professionals. Seems like the perfect choice for her.
DBA - Doctor of Business Administration.

The terminal business degree in industry is the MBA. The DBA is mostly used to teach at the college level. So she could teach college courses. Of course she can still work in industry as well.

Old 04-01-2021, 06:20 AM

5,346 posts, read 6,189,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
DBA - Doctor of Business Administration.

The terminal business degree in industry is the MBA. The DBA is mostly used to teach at the college level. So she could teach college courses. Of course she can still work in industry as well.
PhDs are designed for tenure track faculty. That's what a PhD in management is for.

Sure she could teach at a university, perhaps as an instructor. It's not exactly a lucrative gig. Every time I've done it I've gotten less than $5k.

Old 04-01-2021, 08:49 AM

10,608 posts, read 5,704,375 times
California Intercontinental University is a FOR-PROFIT school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities