Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 09:38 PM

919 posts, read 1,782,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
from my understanding the california community college system is a bit different from that of the rest of the country. anyway i always thought that cc's were for those with severe learning disorders or for those kids who had messed up somehow and/or had to go back to college later in life. obviously there are some really bad 4-years, too, though.
You need to read up on SUNY's admission articulation with New York's community colleges.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 09:52 PM

578 posts, read 1,294,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loloroj View Post
You need to read up on SUNY's admission articulation with New York's community colleges.....
The same with Washington ... I would be surprised if most universities didn't have any articulation with their local community colleges.

Community college caters to a wide range of people. Not all programs allow high schoolers or fresh grads in. Some offer further technical programs where you must have a Bachelor's or work experience.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:17 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
I found little difference between the AVERAGE student at my CC and at the state school I taught at. CC students range from terrible to freakin genius: they are united by lack of funds. I've had some freshman students who could do well in graduate level classes.

At the state school, I mostly contended with middle class average students (the lower students went to their safety school, the smarter students went to a more prestigious school).
Once again personal stories are nice but are not very useful when used against widespread data.

The average family income at many top state schools is over 100k. There aren't many middle class kids. Top 20 publics like UNC/Michigan/UVA/UT/UF/UW are full of upper middle class kids with educated parents.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 04-24-2012 at 06:13 AM..

Old 04-24-2012, 06:29 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
The CC's where I live have articulation agreements with many four year colleges, List of Institutions with Agreements and the motivation for most students is financial. Many CC's programs are set up to provide the same classes that one would take their first two years at a four year university and with an articulation agreement, all of those credits transfer. It's not uncommon for the Prof's at the CC to teach at also teach, or have recently retired from teaching at our nearby four-year colleges.

There is a wide variety of Community Colleges across the country. I never understand why people seem to think that because a CC that they know is a certain way, then that's how all CC's are in another part of the country.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loloroj View Post
This isn't any state, it's California, I'll let you do some work to figure out just how many students attend their public universities, and just how popular the UC's are with foreign students and how many attend CC's prior to enrolling at UCs.

But let's get back to point. YOU claimed that the best CC's are on par with the worst universities. Your claim is based on nonsense, the best public university system is exactly on par with their states CC's, otherwise why would they state that they have agreements with all California CC's for transfer requirements. YOU made the claim regarding those institutions, not their students.

And you again failed to understand the role of CC's. Of course their students aren't going to have the same test scores as incoming freshman at university. CC's are for the entire public to use, their role isn't to be simply a college prep institution. They are created to serve the public at large, whatever their scholastic background, not just those wanting to attend four year universities. Your claim makes as much sense as saying that the number of people who get to be championship tennis players are higher for people who attend elite tennis academies rather than those who play the game at a public park. That misses the point entirely of why those public parks are created, and the fact that championship players have come out of those parks, ala Arthur Ashe or the Williams Sister, shows that those venues are good enough to create elite level players. Same analogy with CC's, they have welding classes cheek to jowl with E&M physics classes, which is their mandate, and, for decades, did a remarkable job teaching for that varied a student body.
Glad we agree. Lower quality of student equals a lower quality class.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
The CC's where I live have articulation agreements with many four year colleges, List of Institutions with Agreements and the motivation for most students is financial. Many CC's programs are set up to provide the same classes that one would take their first two years at a four year university and with an articulation agreement, all of those credits transfer. It's not uncommon for the Prof's at the CC to teach at also teach, or have recently retired from teaching at our nearby four-year colleges.

There is a wide variety of Community Colleges across the country. I never understand why people seem to think that because a CC that they know is a certain way, then that's how all CC's are in another part of the country.
50% who start CC drop out before second year and only 25% every finish their AA within three years. So at best 25% of students are going because it's cheaper to do their first two years there then at a University. It's probably more like 10-15%.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:08 AM

63 posts, read 51,441 times
Getting an associates degree in a math or science-heavy curriculum at a community college requires significantly more intellectual talent than a PHD in a liberal arts discipline from an ivy, IMHO.

What you study is much more important than where.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:14 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamatom View Post
Getting an associates degree in a math or science-heavy curriculum at a community college requires significantly more intellectual talent than a PHD in a liberal arts discipline from an ivy, IMHO.

What you study is much more important than where.
i'm pretty sure your ivy student would be bored to tears in a math class at a CC

Old 04-24-2012, 08:23 AM

63 posts, read 51,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
i'm pretty sure your ivy student would be bored to tears in a math class at a CC
Most likely because the material would be over their head.

Come on.

I have a degree in a social science discipline from a great school. I have every reason to build it up.

It was worthwhile. I'm glad I pursued my ambitions. Alas, a philosophy/english/creative writing/sociology et al degree from a great school requires very little work and even less intellectual ability.

Getting in? That's different. Although it's mostly a function of family wealth..

Old 04-24-2012, 08:31 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamatom View Post
Most likely because the material would be over their head.

Come on.

I have a degree in a social science discipline from a great school. I have every reason to build it up.

It was worthwhile. I'm glad I pursued my ambitions. Alas, a philosophy/english/creative writing/sociology et al degree from a great school requires very little work and even less intellectual ability.

Getting in? That's different. Although it's mostly a function of family wealth..
LOL you can't be serious...what is the average math SAT score for a cc student? 500?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities