Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 11:35 AM

1,639 posts, read 4,708,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgs333 View Post
if you go back and read the original sentence, xnygirl should have used the plural in her sentence. you're welcome.
.....Touche
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 01:33 AM

2 posts, read 9,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Strayer has some murky accreditation problems. A good rule of thumb is to avoid it, University of Phoenix, and any other for-profit institution like the plague! There are too many reputable online programs attached to real, brick-and-mortar universities for such institutions to even be an option.

Strayer doesn't have accreditation problems. As a matter of fact it was just renewed. Folks, I'm not saying this is a top MBA school, but it is accredited, and accepted as such by the federal goverment.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:23 PM

258 posts, read 1,505,388 times
You can get a good MBA online but don't waste your money on Phoenix or Strayer.

Old 04-22-2008, 04:11 PM

1 posts, read 6,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityman123 View Post
Strayer doesn't have accreditation problems. As a matter of fact it was just renewed. Folks, I'm not saying this is a top MBA school, but it is accredited, and accepted as such by the federal goverment.
The same accreditation body which accredits Strayer also accredits dog grooming schools and beauty schools. See my site at onlinestrayer.org to find out more about this rip off of a "school."

Old 04-22-2008, 07:30 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,959,965 times
I think class discussion is almost useless. It is a boring and tedius waste when I can hear real opinions that count from the professor, but a lot of times professors delegate too much of the class to the students and their opinions which half the time doesn't really hold much water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
As a part time College teacher myself I tend to believe the best thing about taking classes at a regular University is the interaction with the teacher and fellow students. I like discussion in my classes. I am not a supporter of Internet Classes.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:24 PM
dgz

806 posts, read 3,394,051 times
I've had to participate in more discussions with professors and students through my online courses than I ever did when I was taking classes at a brick and mortar school. The latter involved a lot of one-directional lecture; whereas the online courses require frequent interaction. The only difference is that the online interaction isn't face-to-face. However, if you're already comfortable with teleconferencing, telecommuting, etc., then it's not such a big deal. I wouldn't recommend online courses however to someone who is just going to college for the first time and is looking for 'the campus experience.' You need to have a sense of self-discipline and good study habits to take online courses successfully. I'm in a program that requires a lot of reading, and I have to submit work every week. I can't just slack off for a week; otherwise, I'll begin falling behind.

Old 09-13-2008, 11:27 PM

1 posts, read 5,779 times
Default Do your research

Just so that you all know, the organization that accredits Strayer University is recognized by CHEA. The organization also is listed as accrediting some other top schools such as Cornell University and Columbia University in New York, not to mention NYU, Johns Hopkins, Julliard and many others. Instead of bad mouthing, do a bit of research by checking out the CHEA website at [url]www.chea.org[/url]. And by the way, on this website, Strayer University is listed as being headquartered in Washington, DC not Arlington, VA.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:23 PM

367 posts, read 1,286,042 times
Strayer is not as bad as some of the posts here mention. Strayer is not along the same lines as a University of Phoenix. It's much better.

University of Phoenix accepts Information Technology certification towards college credit. Strayer does not accept IT certification towards college credit.

For a bachelors degree, Strayer is fine. But for a masters degree, I'd look into something else.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:46 PM

325 posts, read 2,995,693 times
One top-25 B&M MBA program that also offers an online program is Indiana University. I'm not in it, so I can't vouch for it though.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:25 AM

1 posts, read 5,270 times
Default Strayer started as a business office practice school

[FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Many years ago, when I was in high school, [/FONT][FONT=Verdana]Strayer[/FONT][FONT=Verdana] [/FONT][FONT=Verdana]Business[/FONT][FONT=Verdana] [/FONT][FONT=Verdana]School[/FONT][FONT=Verdana] started in business in the [/FONT][FONT=Verdana]Washington[/FONT][FONT=Verdana] [/FONT][FONT=Verdana]DC[/FONT][FONT=Verdana] area. They would teach typing, steno as well as other courses. My high school typing teacher thought at SBS part time back in the 60's[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT][FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]I just finished my BS degree at Strayer Online. I realize that Strayer might grant degrees, however I also realize that a degree from Strayer carries less weight than a degree from a traditional college or University[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]At my age, 62 a degree is a degree. I have enrolled in Strayer Executive Masters Certificate in which all credits earned will apply towards a Masters degree. As long as my current employer pays for part of my tuition I will continue on. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities