Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 02:38 PM

1,639 posts, read 4,708,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
I agree with that statement, however, most R&D comes via science and medicine. I have yet to see any ground breaking research derived from any MBA program.
Big difference between medicine and business. I would not want a fellow accountant performing surgery on me
Good point, I also don't think an MBA isn't what it used to be, as an accountant I find them all to be a little thick headed.

I still believe my research point has some relevance in the business school. Most, if not all, of my undergrad professors lived by the publish or perish principle. This forced them to constantly be on top of their game. From my understanding the same cannot be said in regard to for-profit professors.

Quality of education aside, I don't see why someone would attend a for-profit school when there are cheaper options available from traditional universities. Why deal with the credibility issue if you don't have to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 03:22 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,405,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
Good point, I also don't think an MBA isn't what it used to be, as an accountant I find them all to be a little thick headed.

I still believe my research point has some relevance in the business school. Most, if not all, of my undergrad professors lived by the publish or perish principle. This forced them to constantly be on top of their game. From my understanding the same cannot be said in regard to for-profit professors.

Quality of education aside, I don't see why someone would attend a for-profit school when there are cheaper options available from traditional universities. Why deal with the credibility issue if you don't have to?
Granted, but many folks looking into the online gamit are those usually already in the business world, over 35, and looking to sharpen their overall skill set.
B&M schools in regard to undergrad for example, offer those over 35 and 40 the opportunity to sit in a large class filled with 19 year olds

Now, as for kids fresh out of HS or those going directly from undergrad to grad, I would not advise online, just do to the overall discipline requirements and lack of overall business world knowledge.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:29 PM

I meant traditional schools with an online program.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:47 AM

3 posts, read 15,810 times
I've been considering taking online classess at Strayer and was doing research about the school online when I stumbled across this website & post. Since Strayer is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education my company will pay for the classes.

I live in CT and have also looked at taking classes at some of our local community colleges as well. At this point I should also let folks know that I'm 44 years old with a wife, 3 kids, mortgage, etc. I have been working as an reporting analyst for approximately the last 8 years in financial services/banking and most recently, healthcare industries. Most of what I do involves extracting data from mainframe systems and doing analysis, manipulation, and reporting with said data. I also have obtained some minor Microsoft (MOS program) certifications in Access/Excel. While I have obtained a high degree of proficiency at this I have struggled to move around as I do not have a college degree. In fact I spent my teens, 20's, & early 30's working as a carpenter/sub-contractor. So while I have a lot of valuable experience in different industries many recruiters looking at my resume will get to the bottom and when they don't find a degree there will smile and toss it.

Anyway, this brings me to my main point. The courses available in programming & database development at local community colleges in my area are not as up to date or relevant (in my opinion) as those being offered by Strayer. This combined with the flexibility of being able to take classes online, both synchronously and asynchronously at Strayer is what is making it the right choice for me and my situation. However, I am aware and concerned about the sometimes less than desirable reputation of online, for profit schools. But, like one of the previous posters mentioned, I think this will fade over time as qualified graduates of these schools filter more heavliy into the workplace and management.

This article from MSNBC also seems to illustrate the same point as well:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8420734

Old 01-01-2008, 12:25 PM

87 posts, read 126,612 times
Wink Strayer lacks AACSB accreditation

Quote:
Originally Posted by XNYgirl View Post

Could anyone share their experience with Strayer and their MBA program.
Specifically in Human Resources or Finance? I've been trying to decide if this program is worth the time, effort, and money. I'd like to know how employer's view these programs and if they are a help or hindernce?

All opinions good, bad, and ugly are appreciated.

Thanks.
Don't attend any business school that lacks AACSB accreditation. Reason: graduate credits won't transfer. Also, some employers (Intel for example) will not reimburse employees for courses taken at a school that lacks AACSB accreditation.

Also: The plural of employer is employers, not employer's. You're welcome.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggjacobsen View Post

Also: The plural of employer is employers, not employer's. You're welcome.
"Employer's view" is possessive, not plural. You're welcome.

Old 01-02-2008, 05:38 PM

87 posts, read 126,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi_Girl View Post
My husband and I are currently attending Strayer and have had NO PROBLEMS with it. I dont know where everyone is saying all this negative feedback because truthfully, I havent been able to find much of anything except for the web site that Mark guy posted which only talks about students having financial aid problems. I've been to a community college here that gave me more problems than Strayer ever has. Also, my husband and I are taking classes online but when it comes down to our core major classes, we plan to go on campus (we have one in town) and take our main classes there. We want the hands on experience and the teacher contact so we really know this stuff. My husband is also looking to get his Masters from there, not sure yet if he will or not. The school is accreddited as well and you can verify that on the web site:

Middle States Commission on Higher Education

They also just happen to accredit Princeton as well. So if anyone can back up all the negative feedback (other than the bad business report that has NOTHING to do with accrediation or bad degrees) I'd be more than willing to take a look at that information.

I know someone who got their bachelors from an online college. It says nothing of the sort on the diploma and he is making almost $100,000 a year.

I say do your research but if you think it fits you, then go for it.
Strayer is not accredited by AACSB. They dance around that fact by saying their "overall" program is accredited by MSCHE. By the way, all colleges south of the Mason-Dixon line are supposed to be accredited by SACS, not by MSCHE. But, you say, Strayer has its headquarters in WashDC? Not hardly. The HQ for Strayer University, Inc., is located in Arlington, VA.

Go to AACSB for information.

Last edited by ggjacobsen; 01-02-2008 at 05:43 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-02-2008, 09:27 PM

4 posts, read 54,594 times
Strayer Education Inc. is listed in NASDAQ as STRA. As a publicly-held company, its primary mission is to make money for its shareholders: Strayer (http://www.strayereducation.com/letter.cfm - broken link)

Strayer executives are working hard to make shareholders richer everyday!!! Should I invest in this COMPANY???? Strayer has double digit EPS growth consistently for the past several years (Strayer). Every Strayer CUSTOMERS (or students) should be in the dean's list for their financial contributions to the company.

It's a good "COMPANY."

Old 01-04-2008, 10:57 AM

119 posts, read 716,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
"Employer's view" is possessive, not plural. You're welcome.
if you go back and read the original sentence, xnygirl should have used the plural in her sentence. you're welcome.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:20 AM

3 posts, read 15,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOOman View Post
Strayer Education Inc. is listed in NASDAQ as STRA. As a publicly-held company, its primary mission is to make money for its shareholders: Strayer (http://www.strayereducation.com/letter.cfm - broken link)

Strayer executives are working hard to make shareholders richer everyday!!! Should I invest in this COMPANY???? Strayer has double digit EPS growth consistently for the past several years (Strayer). Every Strayer CUSTOMERS (or students) should be in the dean's list for their financial contributions to the company.

It's a good "COMPANY."
Honda & Toyota are working hard to make their shareholders money too but that doesn't mean they're not turning out a quality product in the process.

So what's your point ?

If their product is truly crap the market will recognize it and eventually the Strayers of the world will go away due to market forces alone. If their product has value and is recognized as such by the market then they will (rightly) grow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities