Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 05:22 AM

928 posts, read 3,855,171 times

Advertisements

Could anyone share their experience with Strayer and their MBA program.
Specifically in Human Resources or Finance? I've been trying to decide if this program is worth the time, effort, and money. I'd like to know how employer's view these programs and if they are a help or hindernce?

All opinions good, bad, and ugly are appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2007, 05:41 AM

549 posts, read 2,386,487 times
I have not heard good things about Strayer, nor University OF Pheonix online.

Old 05-06-2007, 10:35 AM

199 posts, read 958,952 times
XNYgirl,

I would not get an MBA online. The great thing about getting an MBA is that you meet people and that you can establish business connections. This is, in my opinion, not (or very limited) possible when getting a degree online.

I worked for two large companies overseas and here in the U.S. and neither company considered an online MBA degree from Strayer, Phoenix, and comparable online degrees as value-adding. Hence, they didn't compensate people for it.

Another factor to consider is the educational background / intellectual capacity of your classmates, especially in an MBA program. The idea is that you want to work with people who are at least as smart or smarter than you are. I don't know what the minimum GMAT scores for these schools are, but the lower the score for acceptance is, the lower the capabilities of the students might be.

I don't know about the UNCC MBA but Duke, UNC-Chapel Hill, Wake Forest would be well worth the effort and give you a great return on investment.

Also, if you really want to get your MBA online, have you looked at http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/06/distance.htm ? They feature a list of 2006 Distance MBA Profiles including a number of very reputable schools and a number of less expensive schools.

I hope this helps!

Old 05-07-2007, 01:15 PM
BNY

49 posts, read 192,523 times
I did a distance MBA at Cal State U - Dominguez Hills. It was very reasonably priced (approx $12k) and part of the California university system, rather than a stand-alone web MBA program like Phoenix Not sure if there is a price difference for non-residents. I DO know that I worked with students in Russia, China, Africa and the Middle East for projects. The school has been doing it since 1996, and so they are very experienced.

Frankly, I would not have had time for in-person networking on campus anyway. The distance program forced us to interact for success through a more relevant medium. If you are doing an immersion program at one of the big U's, I'm sure face-to-face networking is a biggie... it's just not the only way to go nowadays. Like most innovations based on web tech, it will take a while to filter to the management level and so it still has a stigma attached, but that's just a function of delayed reaction.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:18 AM

212 posts, read 859,641 times
I know a couple of people who's done the online MBA thing, and they have not been successful in getting a job afterwards. They're still working in their old jobs. I don't recommend it. There are too many other MBA students you're competing against, students from non-online universities, perceived to be more credible and well-respected.

Just to add, one of the people with the online degree that I know of obtained the degree in Human Resources Mgmt.

Last edited by linkbr; 05-08-2007 at 09:34 AM..

Old 05-08-2007, 10:24 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,696,510 times
Strayer has some murky accreditation problems. A good rule of thumb is to avoid it, University of Phoenix, and any other for-profit institution like the plague! There are too many reputable online programs attached to real, brick-and-mortar universities for such institutions to even be an option.

Old 05-08-2007, 10:51 AM

17 posts, read 167,684 times
Default U-Mass Amherst

So this goes back to my question...... are MBA online degrees that ARE associated with real-life universities worth seeking out? I'm currently looking at UMASS-Amherst online program.

I am also in a position that will (unfortunately) not allow me to "physically" attend classes on top of a full-time job and raising a family.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:12 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,354,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XNYgirl View Post

Could anyone share their experience with Strayer and their MBA program.
Specifically in Human Resources or Finance? I've been trying to decide if this program is worth the time, effort, and money. I'd like to know how employer's view these programs and if they are a help or hindernce?

All opinions good, bad, and ugly are appreciated.

Thanks.
Why would you even consider that when you've got Queens University and UNC-Charlotte, both with graduate programs in business. Western Carolina has an excellent program, online and traditional delivery, as well as AppState. The common misconception out there is that online courses are "easier" than face-to-face; emphatically not true. or that any degree program is somehow "inferior" if offered via the Internet. Again, emphatically not true. In fact, several Ivy League colleges offer degree programs online - totally or in part. Apply! Go to school!! *****thumbs way up*****

Old 05-08-2007, 11:18 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,354,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpharetta,GA View Post
So this goes back to my question...... are MBA online degrees that ARE associated with real-life universities worth seeking out? I'm currently looking at UMASS-Amherst online program.

I am also in a position that will (unfortunately) not allow me to "physically" attend classes on top of a full-time job and raising a family.

GO FOR IT!!! It won't be easy, but what in life is??

Old 05-08-2007, 11:39 AM
BNY

49 posts, read 192,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpharetta,GA View Post

I have my MBA from CSUDH right here; there is no mention that the degree was "online" or "distance"... it is of complete and full par with the on-campus degree. And I totally dig that it has Arnold's signature on it.

An online degree from a brick-and-mortar institution is comparable to its "normal" degree, or else they wouldn't be allowed to award it. I agree with others that a degree from a for-profit online company still has a stigma attached to it, tho.

Good luck! I'd say go for it. Be prepared to work just as hard, but you get to take advantage of the time-slip factor. My job was 80% travel when I was working towards mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities