Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 06:38 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,869,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raw2008 View Post
Just so that you all know, the organization that accredits Strayer University is recognized by CHEA. The organization also is listed as accrediting some other top schools such as Cornell University and Columbia University in New York, not to mention NYU, Johns Hopkins, Julliard and many others. Instead of bad mouthing, do a bit of research by checking out the CHEA website at Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). And by the way, on this website, Strayer University is listed as being headquartered in Washington, DC not Arlington, VA.
FYI, the overall school maybe accredited by some other organization, but the business programs of colleges typically have an additional accreditation by the AACSB solely for their business majors. The AACSB only accredits about 400 schools in the U.S. and it's highly doubtful that Strayer or any for-profit institution could get the AACSB accreditation because you need to have a certain percentage of full time faculty with PhD credentials. The for-profit model is usually based on having adjunct faculty who get paid peanuts working part time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 01:17 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,778,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGE301 View Post

[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
Many years ago, when I was in high school, StrayerBusinessSchool started in business in the WashingtonDC area. They would teach typing, steno as well as other courses. My high school typing teacher thought at SBS part time back in the 60's

I just finished my BS degree at Strayer Online. I realize that Strayer might grant degrees, however I also realize that a degree from Strayer carries less weight than a degree from a traditional college or University

At my age, 62 a degree is a degree. I have enrolled in Strayer Executive Masters Certificate in which all credits earned will apply towards a Masters degree. As long as my current employer pays for part of my tuition I will continue on.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
My apologies if I sound "snarky", but I can't read this.

Old 09-29-2009, 03:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,994 times
would i be able to go to UNC and enroll in a master program after i get my bachelor in accounting at strayer university?

Old 04-18-2012, 10:30 AM

131 posts, read 281,992 times
Default He drank from the Kool-Aid

Well As it stands I only have a HS Diploma from one of the worse schools in one of the worse districts in the country...Philadelphia. I make more a year than just about any starting MBA does, although I do believe it would be a nice addition to my mothers mantle. Or I love son wall. Quality is not what it used to be from the brick and mortars. We live in a digital world, where an education confined to a classroom will leave you well behind...your knowledge has to be applied and not just the best theoretical lectures that money can buy. I'll take a good finance major, with rock-solid work ethic, leadership potential, and integrity beyond reproach who went to an average college and is driven over a guy who wants to make lots of money and is a MBA from a place like VT and dreams of being CEO....it was all the brick and mortar...Ivy League and top 50 MBA's who drove the country into a financial **** house...sorry that you drank from the kool-aid brother...but hate to tell you, your Grad degree from "killer" VT aint worth the paper it's written on. Education is a business...big business. I'm sure that Barclay's, S&P, and Goldman Sachs value their Harvard MBA's, because they do have their place...but nowadays after the debacle of 2008, you have to prove your worth and not just where you got your degree or you won't be having a job very long. I know alot of rich dummies. Level the playing field for those who don't have access to places like VT or Stanford, and I'll show you an average joe who can run a fortune 500 company. Unfortunately....thats just the way it is....Smucks who come from money will always have the door already open for them. Had I gone to exeter and Harvard...I would have the opportunity to run a billion dollar company into the ground and walk away with $25M. This is America...hardwork and ingenuity will always outweigh a degree. Sincerely, $130k/yr manager with a H.S. Diploma

Old 04-18-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeOxfordCT View Post
Honda & Toyota are working hard to make their shareholders money too but that doesn't mean they're not turning out a quality product in the process.

So what's your point ?

If their product is truly crap the market will recognize it and eventually the Strayers of the world will go away due to market forces alone. If their product has value and is recognized as such by the market then they will (rightly) grow.
I'm a year or two late, but as you will soon find out the Strayer's of the world aren't going anywhere...ingenius marketing, education gets better every few years, and to the person who wants to move up the ladder but can't because they don't have a degree...they'll enroll at Strayer...the way of the world is this...the brick and mortars will start to die off before online will. why do you think all your traditionals are putting so much emphasis into online education...they see the writing on the wall. U of Phoenix probably has the largest student body in the country....well over 100k. As far as quality ask Jimmy Cayne formerly of Bear Stearns about his vaunted education. Brains, ethics, and hardwork are the new standard bearers in corporate america, not a pretty degree from a highly touted business school.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veronica25 View Post
would i be able to go to UNC and enroll in a master program after i get my bachelor in accounting at strayer university?
absolutely if you meet their admissions requirements. GPA/GMAT, letters, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities