Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 10:47 PM

420 posts, read 2,199,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgz View Post
Finally, I would be very interested in hearing from people with MBAs as to whether this '10%' thing has been widely observed, or if the article had exaggerated the MBA glut.
Tough to say. I don't work with too many seasoned people so I really don't have any experiences. I would lean towards it being true, based on the assumption that with an MBA, a company is almost guarunteed to give you more responsibility which translates into higher pay, but I've really never heard of someone working, going to grad school and then returning to the same exact job down to every detail; therefore, I can't vouch for someone in the position seeing a pay increase.

In my personal situation, I completed my undergrad, signed with a company who immediately paid for me to go to b-school, and upon graduating I was picked up by my current employer. Now, my current employer reimbursed my original employer for my grad school education, and ended up giving me a salary 25% above the original. Whether this was becuase of better negotiation tactics on my part or the MBA is tough to say. Probably a mix of both, as well a better bene- package and sign-bonus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2007, 08:54 PM

673 posts, read 3,145,810 times
My husband and I are currently attending Strayer and have had NO PROBLEMS with it. I dont know where everyone is saying all this negative feedback because truthfully, I havent been able to find much of anything except for the web site that Mark guy posted which only talks about students having financial aid problems. I've been to a community college here that gave me more problems than Strayer ever has. Also, my husband and I are taking classes online but when it comes down to our core major classes, we plan to go on campus (we have one in town) and take our main classes there. We want the hands on experience and the teacher contact so we really know this stuff. My husband is also looking to get his Masters from there, not sure yet if he will or not. The school is accreddited as well and you can verify that on the web site:

Middle States Commission on Higher Education

They also just happen to accredit Princeton as well. So if anyone can back up all the negative feedback (other than the bad business report that has NOTHING to do with accrediation or bad degrees) I'd be more than willing to take a look at that information.

I know someone who got their bachelors from an online college. It says nothing of the sort on the diploma and he is making almost $100,000 a year.

I say do your research but if you think it fits you, then go for it.

Old 10-31-2007, 02:14 PM

152 posts, read 878,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
As a part time College teacher myself I tend to believe the best thing about taking classes at a regular University is the interaction with the teacher and fellow students. I like discussion in my classes. I am not a supporter of Internet Classes.
I did undergrad at a brick and mortar University of *****. I have also taken several online classes. Judging by my experience, there is FAR more interaction and discussion in online classes (assuming the instructor makes it a graded requirement.) When you are sitting in a classroom, it is usually the same 3-5 students that willingly raise their hands and contribute thoughtful ideas. The rest of the students (which are usually the majority) are usuallyextremely shy and don't want to sound "stupid."

Over an online format, students are semi-anonymous, and it is easier for them to organize and articulate their thoughts. This is especially true for the often bright students that speak English as a second language.

Old 12-21-2007, 06:17 PM

4 posts, read 54,589 times
Default Academic reputation counts!!!

Why Strayer? As many have mentioned in the thread, there are many reputable online MBA programs elsewhere. Strayer is just like any other online schools (U. of Phoenix, Devry, ITT and so on). Strayer does not have academic reputation and the academic reputation COUNTS when it comes to career advancement! Education is a big investment. Why not invest in something that actually worth something?

Someone has mentioned that Strayer has accreditation..... these accreditation just means that the school has passed the minimum standard and not indicative of the quality of education. Not many people accept the federal/state minimum wage at their job. Why take risk of receiving the minimum or barely minimum education at Strayer?

I know that many (and possibly most) employers do not pay penny for education at Strayer. Why?

Good luck with your graduate education. I got my graduate degree from VT and it's really worth it!!!!!

Old 12-22-2007, 11:38 AM

119 posts, read 716,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgz View Post
Finally, I would be very interested in hearing from people with MBAs as to whether this '10%' thing has been widely observed, or if the article had exaggerated the MBA glut.
I don't know how many b-schools are in the US, so I don't know if the top 10% thing holds true, but if you look at the average starting salaries of graduates, the top 10 or 20 schools are somewhat similar, then there is a big dropoff.

As for me, I go to a top 10 school and have accepted an offer for twice what I was making before. Before school, I was an engineer earning a competitive engineering salary.

I also had a choice to go to a school ranked in the 30's or 40's, which would still be within the top 10% I would presume, but their average graduates' starting salaries are probably only 10-15% more than what I was making.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:44 AM

87 posts, read 126,549 times
Thumbs down Beware of unaccredited MBA programs

Quote:
Originally Posted by XNYgirl View Post

Could anyone share their experience with Strayer and their MBA program.
Specifically in Human Resources or Finance? I've been trying to decide if this program is worth the time, effort, and money. I'd like to know how employer's view these programs and if they are a help or hindernce?

All opinions good, bad, and ugly are appreciated.

Thanks.
You need to go to http://www.aacsb.edu to determine which schools have fully accredited MBA programs. If Strayer is not on the list, then I suggest you keep looking. [Note: graduate credits earned at a school that does not have an AACSB accreditation will not transfer to other graduate schools].

Old 12-28-2007, 07:46 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,402,897 times
Default It's all a matter of opinion

You will find many opinions in regard to online learning.
In regard to an MBA, today many will find they are the JD's of the 1980's or a dime a dozen.

I personally have no issue with online learning, but one must be disciplined enough to handle the overall workload. Many non-supporters either dislike the life of being alone with online groups vs. brick and mortar face to face contact. Other's who will preach a non ending story against profit vs not for profit, or anti-online and brick and mortar. These folks are mostly your "tenured" professors who are locked into their positions and fear that competition in "actual" learning may place speedbumps in their life of luxury and preaching left wing agenda's instead of the core they should be teaching. This can be an great example of why the US is losing is competitive edge in academics vs. Canada, Japan, and Europe.

On the other front, as with any school you must make sure it holds accreditations. Strayer University fka Strayer College has been around since 1892 when it began as a business school in Baltimore Maryland. Today, it is the 2nd largest enrollment school in the Atlanta area with 31,000, second only to UGa with 33,959. (Reference - Atlanta Business Chronicle Book of List 2007) They are accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education vs. SACS due to their home base in Washington DC.

It is all in what you are looking for, I did not attend Strayer as my degrees are from American University and Tulane, but Strayer is RA and a listed on the CHEA. I'm sure any business person can find smart folks with knowledge and common sense from Strayer as well as those about as sharp as a marble holding degrees from Emory and Yale. My best story was when I interviewed a young man from a "upper tier" university with an MBA (concentration in accounting) who could not even read a financial statement or figure cost of sales.

In closing, you get into it what you "devote" yourself to learning. You will get a quality RA education or you can choose to goof off and finish with high debt, the choice is yours.

Good Luck!!

Old 12-28-2007, 07:52 AM

Default Profit vs. Not for Profit

I like the words in regard to University loyalist who use
Not for Profit.
These are mostly your state centers for higher learning.
Though under IRS rules they may be "not for profit" but show me any university with todays sports programs ie. Football for example, which bring in millions to the school then I will show you profit!

It's almost liking so called not for profit colleges to so called not for profit churches. Ever been to the Vatican? Remember the PTL Club with Jim and Tammy Faye? They were "not for profit" also

Old 12-28-2007, 08:26 AM

1,639 posts, read 4,707,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
I like the words in regard to University loyalist who use
Not for Profit.
These are mostly your state centers for higher learning.
Though under IRS rules they may be "not for profit" but show me any university with todays sports programs ie. Football for example, which bring in millions to the school then I will show you profit!

It's almost liking so called not for profit colleges to so called not for profit churches. Ever been to the Vatican? Remember the PTL Club with Jim and Tammy Faye? They were "not for profit" also
You're missing the point. Non-Profit schools do extensive research and development as well as educate. When was the last time you saw ground breaking medical research come out of The University of Phoenix?

For-profit schools exist for the same reason as all other corporations: to make a profit for their shareholders.

Old 12-28-2007, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
You're missing the point. Non-Profit schools do extensive research and development as well as educate. When was the last time you saw ground breaking medical research come out of The University of Phoenix?

For-profit schools exist for the same reason as all other corporations: to make a profit for their shareholders.

I agree with that statement, however, most R&D comes via science and medicine. I have yet to see any ground breaking research derived from any MBA program.
Big difference between medicine and business. I would not want a fellow accountant performing surgery on me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities