Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 05:45 AM

2,720 posts, read 5,367,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nb23 View Post
The diploma program is 2 years, after that I can work towards a bachelors degree.

I wouldn't even looked at this program if it wasn't a degree program.
What type of accreditation is the diploma and degree program?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 05:49 AM

15 posts, read 21,456 times
Yes I will be able to transfer to another university.

Is anybody here a database administrator? I have a few questions.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
What type of accreditation is the diploma and degree program?
What? lol.
I feel really stupid when I have no idea what you guys are talking about lol.. I'm only in grade 11 I have no idea what these university terms mean.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:08 AM

774 posts, read 2,499,503 times
Quote:
What? lol.
I feel really stupid when I have no idea what you guys are talking about lol.. I'm only in grade 11 I have no idea what these university terms mean.
A few things:

(1) Accreditation means that the college has met some minimum standards of quality. Think of it as being the educational equivalent of a drug receiving FDA approval. Personally, I wouldn't take a drug that wasn't approved by the FDA. Similarly, going to a school that's not accredited is essentially worthless in the marketplace. You'd be better off buying a bunch of books and studying on your own for 2 years than handing your money over to a non-accredited institution. You can look up whether a school is accredited on this government website:

U.S. Department of Education Database of Accredited Postsecondary Institutions and Programs

(2) I see that you're in the 11th grade, so I'll chalk some of this up to youth, but I don't find much "lol" about your flippant responses. You've received very coherent and realistic advice from several people on this thread specifically about the career that you're seeking and who actually HIRE people. Believe me, NOBODY'S advice matters more than the people that actually HIRE people because they are going to tell you like it is as opposed to what you want to hear. For whatever reason, you've chosen to ignore it. You seem to just want confirmation that what you're doing is the right thing to do, but I think that you need to take to heart that your plan may very well be a waste of time and money while not putting you anywhere near the type of job that you're seeking.

(3) Finally, I'm extremely disturbed that you specifically stated that you're doing poorly in math. You need to realize that computer science might very well be the most math-intensive subject that you could possibly study outside of majoring in mathematics itself. The very fact that the program that you're looking at allows you to skip over math courses makes me extremely skeptical that the degree could possibly be worth anything. The very basis of computer science is applied mathematics where you need to APPLY (not just take classes for gen ed purposes) high level calculus. If you're already having problems with algebra and trigonometry, then maybe you shouldn't be looking at IT as a career. Instead, try to find something that's more of a match with the classes that you ARE doing well in.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:01 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,562,768 times
Quote:
Yes I will be able to transfer to another university.

Is anybody here a database administrator? I have a few questions.
I've done DBA roles...and if you are asking what you need... you'll need bs in mis or cs plus 4-5 years in similar role or get promoted within + probably ms sql server cert, oracle, db2, mysql to get a real dba position (one that pays well and not some db admin jack of all trades for a small office thing.)
Note I'm just middle of the road as far as IT people go, and I don't make the big bucks that are out there, certainly not a genius programmer... and I was taking calculus in high school.

computer science, hence computation, as frank says is pretty much pure math and logic. So yeah if you suck at math...eh, might not be the best route to go long term.

Last edited by grapico; 11-03-2009 at 06:09 PM..

Old 11-03-2009, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
A few things:

(1) Accreditation means that the college has met some minimum standards of quality. Think of it as being the educational equivalent of a drug receiving FDA approval. Personally, I wouldn't take a drug that wasn't approved by the FDA. Similarly, going to a school that's not accredited is essentially worthless in the marketplace. You'd be better off buying a bunch of books and studying on your own for 2 years than handing your money over to a non-accredited institution. You can look up whether a school is accredited on this government website:

U.S. Department of Education Database of Accredited Postsecondary Institutions and Programs

(2) I see that you're in the 11th grade, so I'll chalk some of this up to youth, but I don't find much "lol" about your flippant responses. You've received very coherent and realistic advice from several people on this thread specifically about the career that you're seeking and who actually HIRE people. Believe me, NOBODY'S advice matters more than the people that actually HIRE people because they are going to tell you like it is as opposed to what you want to hear. For whatever reason, you've chosen to ignore it. You seem to just want confirmation that what you're doing is the right thing to do, but I think that you need to take to heart that your plan may very well be a waste of time and money while not putting you anywhere near the type of job that you're seeking.

(3) Finally, I'm extremely disturbed that you specifically stated that you're doing poorly in math. You need to realize that computer science might very well be the most math-intensive subject that you could possibly study outside of majoring in mathematics itself. The very fact that the program that you're looking at allows you to skip over math courses makes me extremely skeptical that the degree could possibly be worth anything. The very basis of computer science is applied mathematics where you need to APPLY (not just take classes for gen ed purposes) high level calculus. If you're already having problems with algebra and trigonometry, then maybe you shouldn't be looking at IT as a career. Instead, try to find something that's more of a match with the classes that you ARE doing well in.
I just checked and the school I am planning on going to is accredited. If anyones wondering its called the British Columbia Institute of Technology.
Actually you're wrong I did read all of the advice in here, and took it into consideration. It doesn't allow me to skip over math, the programs are just focused more on the career I want to pursue.

The CST program focuses more on programming, while the CST focuses more on administration.

Don't be offended when I type "lol" I just have a habit of doing it since I chat a lot on IM programs. Sorry if anybody took that the wrong way.

A lot of people have taken this program at BCIT, and they even help you find a job.
So basically what you guys are saying is if I don't get my bach of sci in computer science I wont be able to work up from database administrator? Theirs no point in me taking one of these programs?

Old 11-03-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Well if you can use those credits towards another accredited university in the future, get your foot in IT, then go from there, that might be a better plan. If you want to move up though you'll have to prove it somehow.
I can transfer to another university, I'm going to see which ones I can transfer to, and what degree I can get.

I'll report back tomorrow.

Quote:
I've done DBA roles...and if you are asking what you need... you'll need bs in mis or cs plus 4-5 years in similar role or get promoted within + probably ms sql server cert, oracle, db2, mysql to get a real dba position (one that pays well and not some db admin jack of all trades for a small office thing.)
Note I'm just middle of the road as far as IT people go, and I don't make the big bucks that are out there, certainly not a genius programmer... and I was taking calculus in high school.

computer science, hence computation, as frank says is pretty much pure math and logic. So yeah if you suck at math...eh, might not be the best route to go long term.
What is a BS in MIS? (Sorry I'm not familiar with these university terms)

I'm going to see what universities I can transfer to after I get my diploma. I dont know how universities really work so I am hoping I may be able to get a degree in computer sciences or something.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:29 PM

Management information systems is a computer related degree with more of a business focus, they are usually taught out of College of Business... still require math like calc, usually several econ/acctng and more structured towards what companies use, where as cs is more theory and se is targeted at developers.

you might actually be better off getting an A.S. in Computer Science and going from there... you can always transfer it in to a 4 year and it will probably save you a lot of money...

here is a sample listing from a local school here

it is obviously 60 hours, 2 year program.

with following courses.

CS 10 Introduction to Computer Programming 4.0
CIS 10B Computer Science Fundamentals II 3.0
CS 11 Data Structures and Algorithms 4.0
CS 12 Assembly Language Programming 4.0
MATH 1A Calculus, First Course 5.0
MATH 1B Calculus, Second Course 5.0
MATH 4 Discrete Mathematics 4.0
Complete any combination totaling at least 6.0 units from the following:

MATH 2A Calculus, Third Course 3.0
MATH 5 Linear Algebra 3.0
MATH 15 Elementary Statistics with Computer 4.0
PHYS 4A Physics for Scientists & Engineers 4.0
PHYS 4B Physics for Scientists & Engineers 4.0
PHYS 4C Physics for Scientists & Engineers 4.0

Complete any combination totaling at least 3.0 units from the following:

CS 17.11 Java Programming 3.0
CS 81.21 Introduction to UNIX 3.0
CS 115.11A Robotic Design and Programming 1 3.0

I think this, along with maybe a cert would be better than what you are doing...as well as cheaper.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Management information systems is a computer related degree with more of a business focus, they are usually taught out of College of Business... still require math like calc, usually several econ/acctng and more structured towards what companies use, where as cs is more theory and se is targeted at developers.

you might actually be better off getting an A.S. in Computer Science and going from there... you can always transfer it in to a 4 year and it will probably save you a lot of money...

here is a sample listing from a local school here

it is obviously 60 hours, 2 year program.

with following courses.

CS 10 Introduction to Computer Programming 4.0
CIS 10B Computer Science Fundamentals II 3.0
CS 11 Data Structures and Algorithms 4.0
CS 12 Assembly Language Programming 4.0
MATH 1A Calculus, First Course 5.0
MATH 1B Calculus, Second Course 5.0
MATH 4 Discrete Mathematics 4.0
Complete any combination totaling at least 6.0 units from the following:

MATH 2A Calculus, Third Course 3.0
MATH 5 Linear Algebra 3.0
MATH 15 Elementary Statistics with Computer 4.0
PHYS 4A Physics for Scientists & Engineers 4.0
PHYS 4B Physics for Scientists & Engineers 4.0
PHYS 4C Physics for Scientists & Engineers 4.0

Complete any combination totaling at least 3.0 units from the following:

CS 17.11 Java Programming 3.0
CS 81.21 Introduction to UNIX 3.0
CS 115.11A Robotic Design and Programming 1 3.0

I think this, along with maybe a cert would be better than what you are doing...as well as cheaper.
First off I just want to thank you for the help man.. Keep the good stuff coming!

I'm guessing A.S means applied sciences? What is the major difference between this and Bachelors of science?

Also what kind of jobs would I be looking at if I were to take this route?

Edit: I'm going to post some links to the programs at BCIT

http://www.bcit.ca/cas/computing/

CST program
http://www.bcit.ca/study/programs/cst

CIT program
http://www.bcit.ca/study/programs/5520diplt

Degree program after 2 years
http://www.bcit.ca/study/programs/cstbtechfts

Old 11-03-2009, 11:52 PM

a.s. is just associates of science, b.s. is bachelor of science, one is a 2 year, one is a 4 year. 4 year is obviously going to have 2 more years on top of that mostly of elective type work within your field, a.s. is more the core load and less electives... There isn't much if any Core harder classes that a b.s. has over an a.s., at least in the one I pointed out. Masters, just even more elective coursework, usually the same class as a 400 level but with more writing or a project + thesis. That load is almost a math minor or c.s. minor at many universities. All programs just aren't the same though. That A.S. in CS I posted above is arguably *harder*, but with less classes than many lenient IT, Networking, IS 4 year degrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities