Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 12:45 PM

24,124 posts, read 32,498,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
In the ****ty economy that we have had for the past 4 years, yes a bachelors degree very much equals the high school degree of the past. Maybe in good economic times it doesn't, but for now it sure does.

And here's the kicker - try NOT having a bachelor's degree in this economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 01:15 PM

24,124 posts, read 32,498,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superseiyan View Post
The problem is not a degree.

The problem is a RANDOM degree which too many people do.

A random degree without leadership, and other unique experiences (education and real life) that make them competitive.

Yes, a bland degree is like a High School degree.

Actually a "random degree" (your words not mine) Will make a HUGE difference - especially in a poor economy.

Here are some situations that I know of PERSONALLY (not myself, but people and situations that I have heard of), where what YOU CALL a "RANDOM DEGREE" has made a difference:

1. Training programs in business, the insurance industry and others that ask for a "BA", but do not specify major, in order to enter a training program in their field.

2. Teaching certificates - Have a" random degree" in say a "useless subject" such as English? Want a job with good benefits and security? New York City has a job for you! Inner city schools always need people with majors that translate into subjects taught in HS. - English, History, foreign language, Art, Chem, Math, any science.

They will turn you into a teacher AND pay for your Master's! How about that! And my cousin graduated with a "random and worthless degree" in music in the early 80s. He took the test to be a NYC School teacher (remember he did not have ONE EDUCATION CREDIT - a BFA in MUSIC)
He taught for a few years, and worked his way up the ranks. On NYC's dime he now has a doctorate and he is a school administrator earning six figures, the top admin for one of the boroughs. He can retire now, but he has no desire. He owns a home with a view of the Atlantic Ocean, has three boys, and summers off. Teches music privately and is a member of a Jazz Band. Another "random degree."

NYC is the city that I am most familiar with, but I am sure that other large cities, hurting for teacher's do the same.

3. Civil Service jobs. Plenty that are open ONLY to people with degrees in ......ANYTHING!!!!! Some require a certain number of credits in business or social science (Social Science imagine that...) but your major? It could be basket weaving! These jobs vary region to region, but here in PA, the ones open to people with no degree start in the high teens - low 20s.
"Random College Degree'? 30s through 70s. Quite a big difference! And that's just to start.

4. Certificate Programs at your local college. A wonderfully inexpensive way to add focus and direction to a BA, with out the time commitment of a Masters. OR The FINANCIAL EXPENDITURE!

Certificates (post grad) range from "Adoption Studies" offered at NYC's Hunter College, to CAC - (Certified Addiction Counselor) at PAs Misericordia University, to "Health Care admin or Information Tech" so many colleges offer these.

What do they have in common? These Certificates are short and cost effective. They open The Big Door to Employment.

And no BA? Well too bad, you can't get in!

And here in North Eastern PA, you CAN live on that. 18,500? Not so much.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:16 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,488,591 times
The Colleges waste too much time making students take BS classes.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:11 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,524,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
It frankly doesn't matter what a high degree is worth compared to a middle school certificate because both of those educations are free. College educations are not free. So if their worth is no more than a high school degree why should anyone get them?
It's worth much more and salary data shows that. Top schools graduate kids with around 15k.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
It's worth much more and salary data shows that. Top schools graduate kids with around 15k.
Well, maybe it's because those "top schools" cost a crap load of money in the first place and only people with enough $$$$ even consider sending their kids to those called "top schools".

Old 03-07-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
Well, maybe it's because those "top schools" cost a crap load of money in the first place and only people with enough $$$$ even consider sending their kids to those called "top schools".
They actually don't. Many of top 50 schools graduate kids with around 15k in debt.

The problem with loan debt starts with private schools that are not very good along with for profits.

Last edited by Gatornation; 03-07-2012 at 06:41 PM..

Old 03-07-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
They actually don't. Many of top 15 schools graduate kids with around 15k in debt.

The problem with loan debt starts with private schools that are not very good along with for profits.
Of course they have less debt because the parents can pay.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
Of course they have less debt because the parents can pay.
So what is your excuse for top public schools?

Old 03-07-2012, 06:44 PM

148 posts, read 309,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
About 25-28% of Americans have bachelor's degrees. Less in some areas, more depending upon geographical region. Also, remember these statistics are self reported. So there may be some people who do not even have those degrees.

Woman's Studies is not "worthless", at all. It connects to a myriad of careers in the non-profit sector, social science related fields, and is a firm basis for someone who wants to continue their degree at the graduate or professional level. It's multi disciplinary nature gives it a great deal of flexibility.

It is also my minor.

What is "Art Studies" my son will major in "Studio Ar"t, which is not "crap".

No, college students do not have employers waiting for them. It's not a Vo-Tech school. It's a university. People need to package themselves correctly, with a good major and perhaps a minor. Uilise internships during the school year and in the Summer. Forget the summer job flipping burgers. Wanna talk about time ill-spent? Well a crap summer job is just that. Many internships are unpaid. On a resume, that looks even better.

All degrees are "worthless" if you do not do well in the subject and it does not resonate for you.

Square pegs do not do well in round wholes. And vice versa.

Subjects like Women's Studies are not worthless in an educational sense, but are pretty much worthless in a career sense. These subjects do need to be taught, absolutely, along with African American studies and etc., as society needs to be culturally aware and educated. But you were smart enough to MINOR in it - big difference from those that choose to make a fleeting interest into a major and think they will graduate with employers knocking at their door. I think all college students, regardless of major, should have to minor or second major in the humanities; this way they get a depth of knowledge as opposed to skimming the main points in the usual first two years of college in psychology 101, history 101, literature 101, etc.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:18 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,131,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
someone said that to me the other day. i told him he's full of it.

look at the numbers. 28 percent of americans have a bachelors degree +

a bachelors will still get it done if you arnt wasting your time with a worthless degree like womens studies.

this is what im thinking down the road, next 20 years job wise.

think doing something global, say a global studies, a international relations type program where you pick up a language and pair it with some math or business is going to be valuable.

engineering, computer sciences will remain valuable.

dont waste time with crap like art studies, media studies.

people assume just because they get a bachelors they should have employers waiting for them, not true.
I have a bachelor's degree in "Languages and International Studies" (which is now known as "Global and Cultural Studies") and a minor in Spanish, which I am quite proficient in (though a little bit rusty when it comes to speaking/listening, but that improves quickly whenever I'm in a setting where I have to use it). Graduated with highest honors in 2010. And you know what?

Not even the bank wants me as a teller. I kind of knew of the degree's marginality when I chose it my freshman / sophomore year, and was planning on attending graduate school. I was applying to different M.A. and Ph.D. programs when a catastrophic medical problem struck me out of nowhere in my senior year of college.

The only job I was able to land was a seasonal night shelf stocker position at a major chain store (which has to be one of the worse jobs around), although I had tight income limits due to Medicaid.

Although, I must say, there isn't much of a use for "international studies" in what has to be one of the least international cities around (Duluth, Minnesota). But there's no way I'm getting out of here any time soon, perhaps even before I die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities