Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2012, 10:46 AM

3 posts, read 8,807 times

Advertisements

I'm getting ready to PCS from Germany to Ft. Carson and am looking for a nice 3-4 bedroom house.

I don't want to live right near Ft. Carson due to most of the people there knowing the BAH rates and making military overpay for houses.

Anyone able to name a few towns about 30-45 minutes away from Ft. Carson where it won't be as bad rent wise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 12:15 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Check padmapper.com for rentals in any town, and if you checked on areas like Fountain it may or may not reflect the price gouging you allege near Ft. Carson.

South of Carson look at Penrose, Canon City, Pueblo where prices are lower and commutes easier.

If you want up in the mountains, look at Cascade, Green Mountain Falls, Chipeta Park, Crystola and Woodland Park. Might be more than 45 minutes in some cases and face a winter driving commute going up/down Ute Pass on Hwy 24.

Out east on the plains, look at Calhan, Peyton, Falcon, Ellicott, Yoder and Truckton, all flat as a pancake and getting more wind.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:07 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,574,783 times
Mike's ideas are good. It depends on what type of environment you're interested in. Out east in Calhan, Peyton, Falcon, Ellicott, Yoder and Truckton, it's rural farmland with mini ranchettes and not much in the way of towns. It's dry, dusty and windy out east. You can either Google the towns, or Google Earth them to see the "lay of the land" per se.

Up Hwy 24 west of Colorado Springs it gets more mountainous and mountain town-ish. And, naturally the elevation is higher, the vegetation thicker (Gambrel Oak, lots of pine, conifer and other evergreen, and aspen in spring, summer and fall. It's also wetter, snowier and colder than the Springs, a bit far from the nightlife in the Springs, but nice, small, close knit towns. The only issue would be commuting up and down Hwy 24 (The Pass) in winter if it's snowy. Snow doesn't last long even when it's heavy as the sun is hot and at higher elevation, snow melts quickly. Woodland Park has its own town with everything you'd need except for a mall and nice restaurants. Again, Google each of the towns, and Google Earth them for the terrain and housing density.

South of the Springs is nice, too. Pueblo is about 50 minutes from the Springs on I-25, Pueblo West, Penrose and Canon City are a little farther. Canon City is home to the majority of our penal system and the major prisons are there. Penrose is a pretty agricultural town in the hills, and Pueblo is a somewhat industrial town which has a beautiful river walk and nice downtown. Again, Google is your friend.

Good luck finding an area that fits your needs, and feel free to ask more questions here if needed...

Old 01-11-2012, 06:03 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Personaly, I'd pay a bit more rent to avoid a long commute, but that's just me. I tend to value my time more than the money.

Last edited by Bideshi; 01-11-2012 at 06:34 AM..

Old 01-11-2012, 08:14 AM

hey thanks for the info guys, I'll google those towns/cities for sure.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:41 AM

69 posts, read 123,269 times
We are renting in Fountain and I like the area; short commute to Carson as well. We found our place thru the help of a local realtor and the Automated Housing Referral Network, which is a GREAT website. I also used to live in Germany - you'll like the sunshine here

Good luck to you!

Old 01-11-2012, 09:24 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmichael125 View Post
I'm getting ready to PCS from Germany to Ft. Carson
Where were you in Germany? We have lived in the Mannheim area for over 20 years and are also headed for Colorado for my long overdue retirement.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:34 AM

I'm down in Vilseck, right by Graf. It's nice here, but yes I can't wait to see the sun, it seems the last time I saw the old B.O.B. was in Afghanistan haha.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:20 PM

28 posts, read 101,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmichael125 View Post
I'm getting ready to PCS from Germany to Ft. Carson and am looking for a nice 3-4 bedroom house.

I don't want to live right near Ft. Carson due to most of the people there knowing the BAH rates and making military overpay for houses.

Anyone able to name a few towns about 30-45 minutes away from Ft. Carson where it won't be as bad rent wise.
I make the commute daily to Fort Carson, from Pueblo..Pueblo, is a nice town, with a very friendly population. Its not overcrowded at all. Most military people who choose to live down here usually picks Pueblo West, just because its a little shorter commute, than living in actual Pueblo. There are alot of nice housing options in Pueblo, and you would definatly get more for your BAH, than you would get in Colorado Springs. In pueblo you wont see alot of soldiers walking around every where down here, which personaly works for me, being that, when I get off work, I really don't want to be around it at home. Like with any place, Pueblo has its good, and bad sides of the city. This is where you may want to concentrate most of your research, trust me. I almost accidently picked an area for me & my family to live in, that I later had to change it at the last minute, due to my lack of research. When I got to Pueblo it shocked me at first how inexpensive housing is, but be warned with that! Especially when it comes to Pueblo. Location is everything here. I still wouldn't trade it for nothing Colorado Springs has to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs