Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 12:25 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,574,783 times

Advertisements

Mountain lion follow the deer, so if you have deer, you've most likely got a mountain lion hanging around waiting for lunch...and if they can't take down a deer, a poodle or other canine will do in a pinch. It's a good idea to keep an eye on your outdoor pets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 01:39 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
Mountain lion follow the deer, so if you have deer, you've most likely got a mountain lion hanging around waiting for lunch...and if they can't take down a deer, a poodle or other canine will do in a pinch. It's a good idea to keep an eye on your outdoor pets.
Keep them inside is what you mean. Cats attack so quickly that keeping an eye out won't help.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:09 AM

50,826 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Did you see "Last Man Standing" the other night? It supposedly takes place in Denver, and the family saw a coyote in their yard and then wondered where their dog was.

Old 03-24-2012, 12:49 PM

1,455 posts, read 1,860,549 times
Default Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Did you see "Last Man Standing" the other night? It supposedly takes place in Denver, and the family saw a coyote in their yard and then wondered where their dog was.
I saw that one - funny.

I like that Tim Allen is back on TV. He owns a cabin up in Grand Lake, so I'm sure he has an affinity for Denver.

Old 03-24-2012, 12:55 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,551,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Moving View Post
What kind of animals can I expect to see on a normal basis - I hate snakes. Thank you
Snakes are everywhere, and thank God for them, or we would be overrun with rodents. Thank your stars for snakes. Of course, they don't care for us any more than you do for them, so you will rarely see one unless you surprise one. If you do, just step back. As long as you don't approach them you have nothing to be concerned about.

Also, know that if a snake has round eyes they are safe. The poisonous snakes all have a heavy ridge across the top of their eyes that tend to give their eyes a glaring look. Even poisonous snakes will leave you alone as long as you do not threaten them.

As for the other critters, we were blessed to see deer, prairie dogs, and a very shy fox while we were visiting that area. We heard coyote in the evenings in the distances. Colorado is a beautiful state. I hope you love it.

Old 03-24-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beezle1 View Post
Don't forget porcupines! They love our Ponderosa pines! When I first moved out here about 20 years ago, I noticed some bark missing near the tops of young pine trees. I thought 'oh no bark beetles' and I called the forest service to find out what to do. I described the damage and they laughed and said 'you are in prime porcupine territory'. I felt pretty stupid. That was one of those animals I had heard of but never really thought much about. I have seen them probably dozen times on my land since then, and more times than that dead on the road. I don't have a photo to post though. Great photos everyone!
Been in Colorado for 33 years and have yet to see a porcupine. Saw them all the time in New England. Where have you seen them?

Old 03-24-2012, 03:42 PM

Another story. A woman in Divide had a mountain lion come through a screen window trying to get at her cat. The lion clawed up the couch pretty good (her cat had been sitting on the couch). I saw a photo of the couch with the claw marks. Crazy.

She had to get rid of the couch as the cat wouldn't go near it after that happened.

Old 03-24-2012, 04:18 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,167,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngigi View Post
Been in Colorado for 33 years and have yet to see a porcupine. Saw them all the time in New England. Where have you seen them?
I live up on the Palmer Divide at the far north end of Black Forest, just off County Line, about 3 miles east of Highway 83. Lots of Ponderosa Pines here. I have seen them up in the trees, only because my dogs bark at them, otherwise I would probably not even notice them. They look like a big ball of brown pine needles when they are up in the trees. They make an awful scratching sound when they go up and come down the trees (usually only at night). I know of 2 horses in the neighborhood that have had to have the vet come out and pull the quills out of their noses. I guess they just dope up the horses and pull them out with pliers and then put the horses on a round of antibiotics.

We also had a momma skunk and her 9 babies living under our barn a few years ago. They were very cute, but we had to make sure we did not get too close or startle them.

Old 03-24-2012, 04:32 PM

Yeah - I was hiking with a dog back in CT years ago, and she got herself turned into a pin cushion because of a run-in with a porcupine. It was awful! She never messed with a porcupine again.

Old 03-25-2012, 12:36 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,574,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngigi View Post
Yeah - I was hiking with a dog back in CT years ago, and she got herself turned into a pin cushion because of a run-in with a porcupine. It was awful! She never messed with a porcupine again.
We had to put a dog down several years ago after she tangled with a porcupine off our deck in Divide. We had a fair number of them in the 90's - 00's, but then they disappeared around 2005 for some reason.

When we first built our home north of Divide in 1975, we were the 8th home in a 500 acre subdivision, and we saw so much wildlife. As more and more houses were built, the wildlife slowly disappeared. Another interesting thing that happened was that the scavenger type birds; crows, magpies, cowbirds, blackbirds, etc., disappeared with the wildlife (carrion), and more songbirds moved in due to more homes--more bird feeders. Same with hummingbirds--more feeders, more birds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs