Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 05:04 PM

20,393 posts, read 14,661,936 times

Advertisements

I'm not a big veggie eater, but I recently hosted a huge (huge, for me anyways, 15 guests) Father's Day weekend grill-out. I went up to Whole Foods, I'd never been in there before, and I got corn and a few other things. Ground bison. Got bison steaks also from Black Forest Bison right around the corner on Woodmen.

All I can say is OH MY GOODNESS that corn was AMAZING. Sure, the bison was the star of the show...but the corn ran a close second.

I also made ice cream pies which are always a hit. I made 4: Butterfinger, Reese's Pieces, Coffee, and Chocolate sundae. They were devoured...

But as incredible as that corn is, I am in agreement that I just can't afford to do much shopping at Whole Foods. I remember wandering the store thinking to myself, "who actually shops here?"

Normally, I bite the bullet and go to one of the ubiquitous Walmart locations (there are now FIVE on various paths between my home and work) or if I'm trying to stock up and save, I hit the commissary.

How is the corn at Sprouts, and/or this Spencer's, which despite living near Fountain, I've never heard of..? Fresh corn is one of my favorite things. Walmart's corn on the cob makes me think of all the Monsanto horror stories my conspiracy friends are forever yelling about on Facebook, and honestly...it's just not very good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 11:52 PM

1,455 posts, read 1,860,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allprolab View Post
We went to Spouts yesterday for the first time and were very impressed. I thought the produce looked incredibly better than safeway or king soopers and the prices were better as well. To me it was this really nice produce store with part of it being a mini whole foods. We haven't tried anything we bought yet but I expect it to be good.

I know this thread is about produce, but am I the only one that despises safeway? They just seem to have poor quality employees more than anything. And I think they use the wal mart theory of one cashier to ten customers in line. The one in ONEN is absolutely horrible at night. I've worked retail a long time and I can spot a retail employee who is purposely performing poorly at their job. And the lady usually working nights there is a perfect example of that behavior. It's unbelievable how bad she is at her job and obviously nothing is ever done to correct it because you can tell she's worked there for a long time. Bugs me.
You're not alone ... the Safeway near me (on W. Colorado) is awful - there are some nice employees, but most of them don't know the meaning of customer service. But the biggest reason I don't like it is because they are so much more expensive than King Sooper. There are a few things I like better at Safeway, and the only reason I'll stop there is to pick up those few things.

Otherwise, all my shopping is at King Sooper, and when I'm on that side of town, Sprouts to load up on produce. By the way, a poster mentioned this, and I'll repeat it ... most everthing else at Sprouts is pricy. That said, they have great deals on bulk stuff as well as coffee, and the olive oil is a bargain.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:55 PM

1,455 posts, read 1,860,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I'm not a big veggie eater, but I recently hosted a huge (huge, for me anyways, 15 guests) Father's Day weekend grill-out. I went up to Whole Foods, I'd never been in there before, and I got corn and a few other things. Ground bison. Got bison steaks also from Black Forest Bison right around the corner on Woodmen.

All I can say is OH MY GOODNESS that corn was AMAZING. Sure, the bison was the star of the show...but the corn ran a close second.

I also made ice cream pies which are always a hit. I made 4: Butterfinger, Reese's Pieces, Coffee, and Chocolate sundae. They were devoured...

But as incredible as that corn is, I am in agreement that I just can't afford to do much shopping at Whole Foods. I remember wandering the store thinking to myself, "who actually shops here?"

Normally, I bite the bullet and go to one of the ubiquitous Walmart locations (there are now FIVE on various paths between my home and work) or if I'm trying to stock up and save, I hit the commissary.

How is the corn at Sprouts, and/or this Spencer's, which despite living near Fountain, I've never heard of..? Fresh corn is one of my favorite things. Walmart's corn on the cob makes me think of all the Monsanto horror stories my conspiracy friends are forever yelling about on Facebook, and honestly...it's just not very good.
Corn is good right now, because right now it's in season. The corn you'll find in most stores this time of year should be good. I refuse to grocery shop at Walmart ... there's just something about it.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:09 AM

665 posts, read 1,295,329 times
I bought some fresh corn at sprouts the other day but I didn't try it yet. It was 2/$1, which is a little high but I was happy to pay it because I also really like fresh corn. I tried costcos corn and it wasn't that great.

And I also think Safeways prices are a bit high.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:29 AM

6,824 posts, read 10,522,918 times
Sonic, I don't know how you could miss Spencer's? I'm guessing you're thinking it's a grocery store and that's causing your confusion. It's not - it is Spencer's Lawn and Garden. It is a few blocks north of the Walmart by the Goodwill and the Burger King. Limited selection, but they sell some fruits/vegetables in summer I guess. As for Sprouts - way too far for people in our neck of the woods, imho. So Natural Grocers it is - we have one semi-close at Southgate.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:46 AM

1,871 posts, read 2,098,266 times
There is Natural Grocers at S. Nevada and Cheyenne Blvd as well.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:06 AM

665 posts, read 1,295,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdude_Charlie View Post
There is Natural Grocers at S. Nevada and Cheyenne Blvd as well.
One on N Academy as well. Never been there though.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:52 AM

1,871 posts, read 2,098,266 times
Having been to both locations of Natural Grocers I far much prefer the one on N. Academy compared to the one on S. Nevada. The one on S. Nevada is older and dumpier. Just seems to be an older part of town. Better selection at the one on N. Academy but Sprouts is tops when it comes to produce. I have gotten not so good produce at Whole Foods before which sucks for the costs.

Old 07-04-2013, 10:23 AM

6,824 posts, read 10,522,918 times
The one at Nevada and Cheyenne is what I meant when I said Southgate - that is the name of that area that those of us who grew up here know it by.

Old 07-04-2013, 04:05 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,601,342 times
There is also Bountiful Baskets which is a co-op. You don't get to choose your vegetables and fruit, but for $15, you get more than you paid! I've used them a few times and thought the produce was of good if not great quality. We just don't have a huge family to eat all of the vegetables you get. Bountiful Baskets for more information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs