Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 09:13 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times

Advertisements

I've gotten so tired of the less than fresh mushrooms at King Soopers (although generally I prefer that chain for grocery shopping). Where does everyone think the freshest fruits and veggies are (other than farmers markets)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 09:29 PM

6,824 posts, read 10,522,918 times
I think they're mostly all about the same. You might try Vitamin Cottage/Natural Grocers - but it is relatively small selection but to me it seems fresh usually.

Old 06-30-2013, 10:51 PM

1,871 posts, read 2,098,266 times
I have had good luck with Vitamin Cottage but will second the fact that its selection is limited. Another place I able to get good produce is Sprouts at Academy and Dublin. I think it is worth a try and the prices are pretty good for being a health food store.

Charlie.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:25 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,167,940 times
Sprouts is where we get most of our veggies. Wish they would build a few more of these around town.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:12 AM

665 posts, read 1,295,585 times
I'm sad to say I've been buying less veggies because of the prices here. I'm a bit of a tight wad and I've found myself not purchasing things because it's higher than what I'm use to paying. I need to get over that because I'm not making better choices in the food I buy.

Having said that, I don't think anyone stands out. (Keep in mind I don't shop Whole Foods type of places much, even though I'm a veggie) Kings Sooper and Costco is where we buy the most. Costco's bananas are kinda weird. They stay green too long. We eat a lot of onions, and I think Costco has the best. Overall I guess I'd say we prefer Costco, but I think that's because we just tend to do most of our shopping there anyway.

We checked out the farmers market in the University Village parking lot (near Costco) and we were pretty disappointed with the selection. Too many vendors selling home things and not much on produce. Are there any farmers markets that are good around here? Preferably downtown.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:32 AM

1,455 posts, read 1,860,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I've gotten so tired of the less than fresh mushrooms at King Soopers (although generally I prefer that chain for grocery shopping). Where does everyone think the freshest fruits and veggies are (other than farmers markets)?
Sprouts at N. Academy and Dublin is absolutely awesome in regards fruits and veggies. Prices are great. Forget Whole Foods, unless you're rich.

As another poster stated ... wish Sprouts would open a few more stores, especially over on the west/southwest side of town.

I love King Soopers, but if there were a Sprouts closer to the westside, that's where I'd get all my fresh stuff.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:33 AM

1,455 posts, read 1,860,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beezle1 View Post
Sprouts is where we get most of our veggies. Wish they would build a few more of these around town.
I've sent them an email through their site about that ... if enough people show interest, I'm sure it would help. I know a lot of people have expressed that to the employees of the Academy store.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:39 AM

6,824 posts, read 10,522,918 times
As for Farmer's Markets, I think the ones downtown and in Old Colorado City are the biggest with most food, etc. But also the selection grows as the season goes on. This is Colorado, so if you want truly truly fresh, it has to be later than it would be in CA or the south or something because our growing season is shorter.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:55 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,167,940 times
Oh, another place that is kind of hit-and-miss is Spencer's near Motor City. They don't have a lot of selection, but they usually have Colorado-grown apples and tomatoes. And they will also roast green chiles later in the summer.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:28 AM

670 posts, read 1,053,107 times
allprolab it is a little early for local fresh veg in the farmers markets. I also read that due to the cold spring we had, a lot of the crops are delayed this year. They say we should start seeing corn and watermelons by August. The downtown market at Memorial Park (in the area by Pikes Peak & Union) is on Thursdays from 7am to 1:30pm. They have a good selection once the season is in full swing and parking is not an issue.

The one in Old Colorado City, in Bancroft Park is a good one too, they are on Saturday mornings and you need to hit that one early for the best selection. There is also a Farm and Art market at the newly redone Ivywild school project on south Cascade (where Bristol Brewing moved to) on Wednesdays from 3 to 7 pm. I have not been to that one yet.

This article from the Gazette has some good information on the markets and also regarding when certain crops will be available. Colorado Springs farmers harvesting seasonal food for farmers market shoppers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs