Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 11:26 AM

665 posts, read 1,295,329 times

Advertisements

Finally ran out of old coffee and picked up some more at Colorado Coffee Merchants. Nice little place. I was pleasantly surprised by the overall feel of the place. Sort of modern industrial feel to it. Picked up some beans upon recommendation of one of the gentleman there and I'm very pleased with it. Still plan on checking out the others in due time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 07:31 PM

454 posts, read 1,225,042 times
I use Colorado Coffee Merchants most of the time or Serrano's in Palmer Lake, those two actually roast their own coffee on site and date their roast. My issue with Mission Roasters is they don't date their beans so you don't know how old they are. Beans tend to get old after 14 days and can be bitter.

Just recently I saw Dazbog roast from Denver in King Soopers, I thought for the price (around $10) I would give it a try. I have to say their White Espresso Roast is great and my new favorite.

One other thing I have found is Colorado Coffee Merchants is one of the few places in town that sell Monin syrups, Serrano's does sell them but you have to call before hand and they will pick it up from their warehouse for you. I make my own mocha's so this is a plus for me.

Good luck and post up anything you find out in town.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:01 AM

346 posts, read 549,706 times
Mission Coffee doesn't date their beans because their policy is to not keep them on the shelf for sale more than 4 days after roasting, ever. The owners would be horrified at the idea of selling beans that were any older than 4 days!

Old 07-07-2014, 03:49 PM

409 posts, read 704,231 times
Mission's coffee is great, and as Mrsmac says, they pull the beans after 4 days if they haven't sold. My only problem there has been the other clientele. There's a fellow who likes to sit and work all day, and has back to back conference calls, LOUDLY. If he's not there, seems there are always people talking loudly about religion. It's definitely a meeting place for the evangelical set, and there's no getting away from it if you just want to sit and read quietly.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:50 PM

346 posts, read 549,706 times
How odd. We were at Mission Coffee today at 10 a.m. and it was nice and quiet. We've been going there since the place opened (and my husband goes by 4 or 5 times a week for coffee and escapes there at least once every weekend for a few hours to drink coffee and read a book) and we've never heard anyone discussing religion. I know some of their profits go to support actual missions (because I asked about the name) but other than a sign in the bathroom referencing God I have never noticed an evangelical presence. You must have been unlucky in your timing!

Old 07-08-2014, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMac View Post
Mission Coffee doesn't date their beans because their policy is to not keep them on the shelf for sale more than 4 days after roasting, ever. The owners would be horrified at the idea of selling beans that were any older than 4 days!
Good to know but a turn off that the person working the counter didn't tell me that.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:00 PM

409 posts, read 704,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMac View Post
How odd. We were at Mission Coffee today at 10 a.m. and it was nice and quiet. We've been going there since the place opened (and my husband goes by 4 or 5 times a week for coffee and escapes there at least once every weekend for a few hours to drink coffee and read a book) and we've never heard anyone discussing religion. I know some of their profits go to support actual missions (because I asked about the name) but other than a sign in the bathroom referencing God I have never noticed an evangelical presence. You must have been unlucky in your timing!
Must be very unlucky, because I used to go (or try to) regularly, not just a once or twice occurrence.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:20 PM

Now I think about it again fresh roaster beans need to be used within 14 days (some say 7-10 days) to be good. So for them to keep them on the shelf for 4 days without putting a date on them is uncool and not acceptable imo. But that might not be true for some but if I am paying full price for the beans I do NOT want them to be 4 days old at the time I purchase them.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:44 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,218,549 times
They're north of you in Denver (on Broadway), but you can order online from Corvus and they are DELICIOUS. They are a small batch roaster, roast a bit lighter, are very small estate and direct trade friendly and did I mention that aside from a fantastic variety they are DELICIOUS?

Old 07-09-2014, 09:38 PM

665 posts, read 1,295,329 times
Made it to Switchback this week. Some pretty good stuff, but I think I prefer CCM. I'm going off one visit to each, so it doesn't mean much. I was a little turned off by Switchback because their point of sale system is on an ipad, which isn't the issue, but when checking out you have the option to leave a tip. Call me old fashioned, but I'm not tipping for briefly showing me your coffee and ringing me up. And the thought that this might actually deserve a tip is, well, not very cool to me and will keep me from going back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs