Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 04:08 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times

Advertisements

There are several local coffee roasters in the Triangle. Right now I'm enjoying Larry's Beans "Holiday Blend", though I am also a big fan of the "Bean Martin" blend. If you are a coffee lover, where do you like to get your coffee? Any recommnedations on favorite blends to try?

Here is a quick list of the local roasters I've heard about. Several of them sell organic free trade beans and can be found in different independent coffee shops throughout the area:

Triangle Area Coffee Roasters
Larry's Beans
Stockton Graham
Muddy Dog
Tradewinds
Counter Culture
Joe Van Gogh
Carrboro Coffee (http://www.openeyecafe.com/carrboro_coffee/about.php - broken link)

My Coffee Stash!

Last edited by North_Raleigh_Guy; 12-08-2010 at 04:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 04:26 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,167,647 times
My fav is Muddy Dog. I drink decaf, and I think you can tell how skilled the roaster is by how well (or poorly) they do decaf. Muddy Dog is great!

Old 12-08-2010, 04:32 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,344,148 times
I like Counter Culture. I took an espresso class there and it was lots of fun!

Old 12-08-2010, 05:35 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,546,002 times
We drink Larry's beans. I was convinced after the tour!!

Old 12-08-2010, 05:45 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,104,547 times
Counter Culture is my first choice, followed by Joe Van Goh. But alas, I gave up caffeine recently and with it, my daily coffee. I may start back drinking decaf sometime, but it's nice not to need my daily fix any more!

Old 12-09-2010, 06:45 AM

355 posts, read 958,206 times
I like Larry's Beans too. Counter Culture has a strong reputation outside of the Triangle, and I've enjoyed their beans as well, especially their Magnolia Grill blend. I get small scoops of loose beans at a time from Whole Foods. I haven't bought any of Joe Van Gogh's beans, but I've enjoyed the coffee from their coffeehouse in Durham, so I plan to pick up some of their beans.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:46 AM

355 posts, read 958,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleNC View Post
I like Counter Culture. I took an espresso class there and it was lots of fun!
How did you hear about this? Was the class for the general public or just baristas?

I've been wanting to do this for a long time and have been watching their mailers, yet I've obviously missed this.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:49 AM

542 posts, read 1,524,842 times
While I like all of the local roasters mentioned, my favorite is Cup A Joe.

Mike

Old 12-09-2010, 07:05 AM

375 posts, read 1,143,775 times
LOVE LOVE LOVE Larry's Beans.

The Valentine's Blend is pretty yummy - but my year-round fallback is the Mexicas beans. Mmmm... They are so smooth and a bit on the light side. I prefer my coffee to wake me up gently, not slap me in the face.

Old 12-09-2010, 07:18 AM

1,877 posts, read 5,344,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clever User Name View Post
How did you hear about this? Was the class for the general public or just baristas?

I've been wanting to do this for a long time and have been watching their mailers, yet I've obviously missed this.
It's on their website, Counter Culture Coffee | Coffee Driven They are held in several cities, with the closest one of course being in Durham. They also give you a tour of the roastery.

I took the Beginner Espresso Lab. Lem and Lydia taught our class and they were very nice and lots of fun. About half the class were baristas and the rest of us were there just for fun of it. People came from out of town to take it.

Afterwords, some of my classmates and I met Lem and Lydia for a "Throwdown" they host regularly. It's a latte art competition that many of the local baristas get into. The night I went it was hosted at 3 Cups in Chapel Hill. Looks like they just had one at Cafe Helios counter culture coffee thursday night throwdown, 11/18, at café helios! | cafe helios (http://cafehelios.com/2010/11/counter-culture-coffee-thursday-night-throwdown-1118-at-cafe-helios/ - broken link)

They also have coffee cupping's, but I haven't been yet.
Counter Culture Coffee | Coffee Driven

You should go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary