Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 06:25 AM

115 posts, read 458,481 times

Advertisements

Is recycling big in the Springs? If so, is it picked up or do you have to take your items somewhere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2008, 06:06 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
We have it picked up in our sub-div. It is not done on a major scale here, not mandatory like other regions or cities. There are drop off sites at some places, like wal-mart and the city has a location that will take paints and household chemicals, putting them on a shelf for others to take for re-use. We have several thousand people on our local The Freecycle Network yahoo list.

s/Mike

Old 04-06-2008, 11:11 PM

41 posts, read 194,322 times
I'm into scrapping, metals only (tried cardboard,what a disaster). Anybody know of any scrapyards in the Springs area? Not 2-bit 'recycling centers', but big industrial type yards.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:35 AM

1,312 posts, read 7,915,731 times
Recycling here is difficult. Some of the trash removal companies have curb-side and others don't. I am pretty sure that the main company that does that is Waste Management and they no longer charge you but you'd have to ask. They are very specific about the plastic though.

It used to be a bit easier when the bigger retailers had bins on their property to take away paper, cardboard and cans but at least at the King Soopers near me, they took the bins out. King Soopers will take plastic bags and such.

As for major recycling like electronics, batteries, household chemicals and other things that are more difficult to recycle, El Paso County will take those items for residents of El Paso County and Teller County:

El Paso County, Colorado - Solid Waste Management Division (http://adm.elpasoco.com/Environmental_Services/Solid_Waste_Management/ - broken link)

I had only just heard about them last month and I forget how I found it out but I have (get this) four computers, an old laser printer, a motherboard, two cordless phones, a VCR, DVD player, CD player, several rechargable batteries, two or three CFL bulbs and a few other items. I just held on to them over the years in hopes I could find a place rather than the dump to dispose of them properly. I felt pretty guilty because I know how toxic our electronics are so have just hung onto them!

Hope that helps!

Old 04-07-2008, 08:05 AM

224 posts, read 732,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COflower View Post
It used to be a bit easier when the bigger retailers had bins on their property to take away paper, cardboard and cans but at least at the King Soopers near me, they took the bins out. King Soopers will take plastic bags and such.
Do you have to ask someone to take your plastic bags at King Soopers, because I don't see any trash bins in the front of the store that you could stuff them into?

I've been wondering about the recylcing too. Are there places that you can get cash for cans, plastic, etc?

Old 04-07-2008, 09:17 AM

1,312 posts, read 7,915,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristie73 View Post
Do you have to ask someone to take your plastic bags at King Soopers, because I don't see any trash bins in the front of the store that you could stuff them into?

I've been wondering about the recylcing too. Are there places that you can get cash for cans, plastic, etc?
Both King Soopers and Wal*Mart have receptacles (sp) in the entry area to the store - I haven't been to Wal*Mart in a long time but the King Soopers on Woodmen and Lexington has it. Also, if you want, you can reuse those bags and KS will credit your bill for 5 cents - at least they used to. If you use a cloth bag, they will also credit your bill.

As for getting cash, I think you can do that with aluminum but not with plastics. Either Best Way or Waste management has a transfer station that recycles and you don't have to be a customer but you may want to call.

Old 04-11-2008, 02:03 PM

68 posts, read 280,067 times
Default glass?

What about glass recycling? Our waste management company only takes paper, certain plastics and cans. I hate trashing the glass jars and bottles....does anyone know of a place where they are being recycled?

I have purchased King Sooper "permanent" shopping bags. They are great...first of all they are much stronger and can hold more food items...and King Sooper (the one on Union/Briargate) will take off $0.05 for each "permanent" bag used from the grocery total. Also, I was told that Whole Foods apparently does not give out any more plastic bags! In my home country in Europe grocery stores do not give out plastic bags..either you bring your own bags or you will have to purchase a paper bag from the store.
I wish the stores here would also switch to this system.....

Also, in my home country..everyone has to pay for each trash bag put outside for collection (you purchase stickers which go on the bag). It took time to get used to that...lots of people were But you cannot believe how much trash has been reduced and also it really made everyone think and change to recycling

Old 04-11-2008, 07:19 PM

115 posts, read 458,481 times
Thanks for the feedback on recycling. Mike from back east, I really like The Freecycle Network you mentioned. I have never heard about it until now. I even found a local one that I joined. I will do the same when I get to the springs.

Old 04-19-2008, 02:52 PM

6,823 posts, read 10,516,715 times
Default recycling

I live in Security. The Walmart near by takes paper and cardboard - I have to check on aluminum and other stuff. My trash service is Springs Waste Systems and they take paper, tin, and aluminum for free. I'm looking for an easy place to take plastics. Does anyone know a place that takes all plastics, even those 6's, etc.? But especially 1's and 2's. I heard BFI on Palmer Park Rd. might take them. And yes, Freeecycle is awesome.

Old 04-21-2008, 04:12 PM

6,823 posts, read 10,516,715 times
I checked and the Walmart takes plastics and so does Springs Waste Systems - they both are now taking everything - junk mail, office paper, magazines, newspaper, tin, aluminum, and type 1 and type 2 plastics. Walmart is drop off, Springs Waste Systems (my trash service) picks up on trash day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs