Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 08:19 AM

49 posts, read 202,775 times

Advertisements

I am from NJ and look foward to getting out of here in 6 years when my girls are in College. I have always wanted to look into Colorado even though I have not been out there yet, simply by what I have read. I know it sounds crazy, and maybe I am, but I do plan on visiting Woodland Park this summer. I would love all your insight. I love love love the mountains, cool brisk fresh air, simple living, down to earth people, nature and would love a mountain home for in the area of 300K with low maintenance yard (woods), and low taxes. Only thing is we will have to work and we are your average middle class blue collar workers. My hubby would need to find warehouse work and I would need to find work in the medical/clerical/home health aide areas. How are the taxes out there? I would not mind traveling 1/2 or so to get to work if I could live in the mountain community. We love log or cedar homes with views... we have explored NC and TN, and although they are pretty states, there are no real winters and they are becoming overpopulated. I am seeking simple living in the mountains surrounded by beauty and down to earth people. The other very important factor is being able to find work, and spend less on taxes and housing... any advise is well appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2007, 07:41 AM

11 posts, read 76,028 times
Question Colorado Springs Area

We visited the area 3 years ago for our honeymoon and fell in love with the area and the climate. We would like to move there someday. The problem is employment! My husband is a machinist with a tool & die degree. I have worked in various service type jobs, currently a merchandiser. Are there any particularly good places to look for these type of jobs in the area? How are the housing costs? How about the general cost of living? Any comments would be greatly appreciated !

Old 01-07-2007, 01:21 PM

616 posts, read 3,004,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdoerr View Post
The problem is employment! My husband is a machinist with a tool & die degree.
CS has a lot of defense contractors, so I would not think that he would have too hard of a time finding a job as a machinist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdoerr View Post
How are the housing costs? How about the general cost of living?
In general, housing in CS is less expensive than equivalant in the Denver area. Depending on where you are coming from it may be much less expensive to live here or much more. Where are you currently living?

Old 04-12-2007, 03:17 PM

1 posts, read 4,772 times
Default Woodland Park

Hi there Colobound. My Family & I lived in Woodland Park for several years. I must say, we did love it there! One problem for us was the commute, especially in rough weather. However, I feel it was a small price to pay for what you gain living there. We made the mistake of moving further and further out, we started in Woodland Park, but then went to Florissant, then Lake George which were gorgeous, but we were WAYYYY out in the boonies. After being that far out for a while, we felt we needed to be back in city life. So we ended up moving to Highlands Ranch. That was nice, but we soon realized that it was to much city for us. By that time home prices had gone up dramatically and we ended up moving to Montana where it was just as beautiful, if not more, and cheaper. Well, needless to say now, housing has gone up here too and we are REALLY missing CO. and the sunshine! We are now setting our sites on the Greeley area. Anyway, as far as Woodland Park is concerned, we'd go back in a heartbeat, especially with the new hospital and all. Even when we were still living there, it seemed very convienient. They have a very nice Safeway store, and some pretty good restaurants. It is a very, very nice community, very clean, good people, and good schools. As far as the 8500' elevation, it did not take us very long to acclimate.

Old 04-12-2007, 08:07 PM

1,938 posts, read 7,123,426 times
YES there is a scenery tax- When you get settled, please send $1,000,000.00 to froggin4colorado@hotmail.com in Fountain, CO 80817
:0
Woodland Park is a real pretty area, heavily wooded, cool summers, really nice.

Old 04-17-2007, 11:41 PM

49 posts, read 244,885 times
Planning to visit Woodland Park in a few weeks, any interesting parcels - subdivisions to visit? Can you locate them w/o a realtor-broker? Looking to view wooded acreage ... okay another calif transplant coming. But CO has such beauty.....scenery tax and all...L O L. Any suggestions as to where to begin the search in that area? Appreciate your feedback.

What is altitude of Woodland Park and surrounding areas?

What is Divide like?

Old 06-02-2007, 11:44 PM

5 posts, read 29,603 times
Don't know if you moved here yet, but we've rented for four years and can't seem to gravitate toward a place we want to buy... everywhere is so nice and has its ups and downs. We are avoiding the "snow belt" (Sherwood Forest, Arabian Acres, Trout Creek) SW of Divide because we have heard about water issues there, but I can't say that's fact. In town we have trouble getting "land" with a house we can afford (even 1/4 acre is pricey!!!) and there are all kinds of areas we like or aren't sure about, so good luck with that! We want to be close to the highway, but away from NOISE!!! (Bikers like to frequent Hwy. 24 in the summer, especially weekends!!!)

Update on "stuff..." The hospital is supposed to open August 2007, I think, and the Walmart is built, but they are painting the outside and have to pave and get it all ready, so it shouldn't be long. We just to a Papa Murphy's pizza and Wild Wings, and all the time things are coming in... we're gowing! It's great and a pain all at the same time. Good luck!

Old 09-23-2007, 12:22 PM

2 posts, read 8,475 times
First time on this forum what information I have gleened so far has been very informative.
We fell in love with the Woodland Park when we stayed there a month that was suppose to be only a week, we stayed by choice and hated to leave.
Were back home in Florida's heat, humidity, hurricanes, high taxes and home owners insurance (if you can even get it) pretty tired of all that. Woodland Park is where we want to retire.
But have questions about property taxes and homeowners insurance. Have the Co.state income tax understood. looking for the hidden things now, any insight would be appreciated.

Old 09-23-2007, 01:26 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,017,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mswanee View Post
First time on this forum what information I have gleened so far has been very informative.
We fell in love with the Woodland Park when we stayed there a month that was suppose to be only a week, we stayed by choice and hated to leave.
Were back home in Florida's heat, humidity, hurricanes, high taxes and home owners insurance (if you can even get it) pretty tired of all that. Woodland Park is where we want to retire.
But have questions about property taxes and homeowners insurance. Have the Co.state income tax understood. looking for the hidden things now, any insight would be appreciated.
You're gonna love Colorado....oops, you already do! So do we.

Not really much hidden stuff. WP is in Teller County, but some of that zip code may be in El Paso County, as we are.

Property tax on our $550k home in northern COL SPGS is $3300/year. Any good realtor can tell you the taxes on any property you are considering. I'm not a realtor. In Teller, I'd guess your taxes would be lower.

Homeowners is $1295 for a "replacement value" policy with added coverage for jewelry and antiques. In Teller, I'd guess your insurance may be higher depending on added risk from forest fires or distance from a firehouse/hydrant. Me, I would not buy a log home in a heavily wooded area prone to forest fires and then expect cheap insurance.

You'll probably save a fortune, as did the person in this old posting:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/color...-decision.html

s/Mike

Last edited by Mike from back east; 09-23-2007 at 01:34 PM..

Old 09-23-2007, 03:13 PM

2 posts, read 8,475 times
Thank you (Mike from back east) you have supplied most of the information I have gleened. You sir are a wealth on information, thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs