Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 05:30 PM

35 posts, read 124,646 times

Advertisements

Anyone live there? What do you like/dislike? How about Discovery Canyon? It all looks great, but what is it REALLY like living there? Do you actually use the flying horse facilities? Are the people nice? Is it a "keep up with the Jones" type of area?

Thanks for any information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 06:06 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
It's very nice. And on sale too. One of my managers is looking to buy there. He told me some homes have dropped by $150K in two years...not sure which homes.

Also, Powers is expected to be extended from its current terminus at CO-83 to I-25. The extension will bisect FH.

FH has an outdoor pool.

It's close enough to Denver to commute to Denver.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:48 PM
YvZ

52 posts, read 249,304 times
Our neighbors used to live there. Their reason for moving is that it was too far from everything and they felt to "keep up with the Jones" for them. I would have felt the same regarding being out of the way. It is getting better though with the Super Target that came up fairly close. You will have to drive there to see what people mean that it is out of the way. The school is really good.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:00 PM

1,938 posts, read 7,126,349 times
"Keeping up with the Jones" would definitely be a good phrase...

Old 05-21-2008, 07:07 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,377,645 times
eh, it's not that far away

Old 05-21-2008, 11:35 PM

68 posts, read 280,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggin4colorado View Post
"Keeping up with the Jones" would definitely be a good phrase...
Froggin4colorado, do you live in Flying Horse? We do! And I absolutely do not agree with your statement!! Flying Horse is great! So far, I have not met any Jones!!!! We have made so many friends and everyone is very "down-to-earth"! Lots of young families with kids going to Discovery Canyon. We live in the upper area of Flying Horse and enjoy wonderful views of Pikes Peak...the clubhouse is the best I have seen. It is spa like (actually there is a spa inside)...the outdoor pool and whirlpool are open and heated all year round. Last weekend they opened up the outdoor splash pool and the kids pool which has a fun slide. There are lifeguards, there is a kids nursery, and several restaurants (one of them has live music at weekends). The tennis program, swimming classes and summer camps are great! For Memorial Day they will have a pool party. All the staff is wonderful!!!
My kids go to Discovery Canyon and we have been very pleased! check out Discovery Canyon Campus - DCC Campus. The school offers tours...but I believe there are none during the summer break..and we finish on 5/28
We love being North of Colorado Springs....yes, it is true...there is not that much yet around us...but everywhere they start building..and everything looks new and nice We have a SuperTarget approx. 10 mins away...Loewe's just on the other side of Target, grocery stores approx. 10 - 15 mins. Tomorrow they are opening up a brand-new cinema approx. 10 mins away!! Another cinema is being build very near to the that one....I assume there will be restaurants being built around the cinemas....The Shops at Briargate are approx. 10-15 mins away (very nice shopping area with good restaurants). I25 is approx. 5 mins away and within 45 mins you are in Denver and in approx. 1 hour 15 mins at Denver Intl. Airport. Flying Horse backs up to Fox Run National Park which is absolute wonderful...there are nice trails, picnic tables, playgrounds, etc.

The only drawback - the backyards in Flying Horse (I am talking about the smaller lots..not the million dollars and plus lots) are small and the houses are near each other and therefore you do not have lots of privacy. But we have 3kids and for us it was important to live within a community....where we can go outside..ride the bikes and see the neighborhood kids! Last weekend we had a block party and the kids had a blast!
Flying Horse just started building the custom lots which are a million plus and of course much larger lots...

Sorry for the long posting! Just had to "get it out"....We absolute love it here! Jonna, I really encourage you to come and visit Flying Horse and take that tour of Discovery Canyon! Also, go and take a tour of our Clubhouse...you will be amazed

Old 05-22-2008, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie View Post
.the outdoor pool and whirlpool are open and heated all year round.
The outdoor pool is open and heated all year round?

Old 05-22-2008, 06:49 AM

1,938 posts, read 7,126,349 times
Rosie,
No, we don't live up there. We went through the model homes and looked at the area and decided that it was too ritzy for us. It wasn't our cup of tea nor could I afford it, I am only a sped teacher. With that being said, so glad to hear differently and that you are happy. It is wonderful to hear that you picked the right place for your family and it sounds great. Congrats!
I have to settle for a lower middle class type of housing because of my choice of profession (which I love) and at times, it does bother me with how little we teachers make and wish we made more to have the nicer new things. My comment up above obviously came across as offensive and in reality it was my way of coping with the notion that I make so little money even though I have 2 master degrees to my name.
I love to teach, I love kids.

Last edited by froggin4colorado; 05-22-2008 at 06:58 AM..

Old 05-22-2008, 07:40 AM

68 posts, read 280,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
The outdoor pool is open and heated all year round?
Yes, there is one oudoor pool (we do not have an indoor pool) which is open all year round and heated in wintertime. In winter, when you go into the pool, the water seems quite cold at first...but as soon as you swim around...it is just perfect. The views are unbeatable...and when it snows it is really fun..especially in the hot tub next to the pool

Old 05-22-2008, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie View Post
Yes, there is one oudoor pool (we do not have an indoor pool) which is open all year round and heated in wintertime. In winter, when you go into the pool, the water seems quite cold at first...but as soon as you swim around...it is just perfect. The views are unbeatable...and when it snows it is really fun..especially in the hot tub next to the pool
Wow, That is incredible. That must use a lot of energy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs