Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2008, 07:47 PM

118 posts, read 445,023 times

Advertisements

Where can one go to go boating, water skiing areound COS. We went to pueblo, but it doesnt seem like a very nice area. we did however see lots of boats and things, but on the way out there and everything surrounding it just looks dead... very dead all brown and burnt up no green. Im guessing this is just the way it is almost all over all of colorado. everything is very brown.

anyway someone please tel me where the closest water is to me
im in Pine creek area 80920
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 05:16 AM

1,312 posts, read 7,917,397 times
Chatfield in Denver Metro isn't too far, same with Cherry Creek. You'd have to check with the Denver metro to find out fees, docking points and such. I think Chatfield is run by the Army Corp of Engineers (used to be anyway) and I am not sure about Cherry Creek.

For truly spectacular scenery though, Blue Mesa Res. in Curecanti National Recreation Area (U.S. National Park Service) (outside of Gunnison and is a 3 hour drive). You'd want to check with the parks service to see what watercraft restrictions they may have.

Another place (about 1 1/2 hours) is Dillon Res. in Summit County. I would check with the town of Dillon or Frisco to see what resources they have.

There's John Martin Res. outside of La Junta (or Lamar) but keep in mind that area is very flat and not much better than Pueblo.

Colorado Springs is not well known for any water sports except dodging potholes filled with snow melt or rain water.

Old 07-06-2008, 08:57 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,377,645 times
You're obviously not used to the way Colorado looks. You could have lots of fun in Pueblo if you keep an open mind.

If you really want good scenery though, try 11 Mile. It's really pretty up there.

Oh, and nothing is "dead" the desert is very much alive. It's just that most of the plants arent green.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:37 AM

719 posts, read 2,618,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinity Florida View Post
Where can one go to go boating, water skiing areound COS. We went to pueblo, but it doesnt seem like a very nice area. we did however see lots of boats and things, but on the way out there and everything surrounding it just looks dead... very dead all brown and burnt up no green. Im guessing this is just the way it is almost all over all of colorado. everything is very brown.

anyway someone please tel me where the closest water is to me
im in Pine creek area 80920
While the mountain areas received record snowfalls and most reservoirs are amply full from the runoff, the Front Range itself is in a drought. Year to date we should at over 5" of precipitation. I saw the NOAA had us at .95" YTD last week. In and along the foothills its literally a tinder box right now. Don't be fooled by all the well irrigated Front Range cities and towns..

Last edited by Sockeye; 07-06-2008 at 11:29 AM..

Old 07-07-2008, 01:56 AM

123 posts, read 551,552 times
TF, if you are looking for warm water for water skiing and watersports, you won't find it in the beautiful but cold mountain lakes. Give Pueblo a shot, it's the best lake for warm water sports near you. For the best, not near you, take a few days and hit Colo's west coast... Lake Powell.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:23 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,377,645 times
My ex wife said the same thing when she came out here (before I lived here) "Everything looks dead!" she says.

Need I remind everyone that we live in a desert? This IS NOT the east coast. You won't find green grass (natively anyway) The only trees you'll see are Pinions and scrub oak. Spend some time on the open prarie, and you'll grow to love it. You'd be suprised at the abudance of life out there.

Last edited by ryanek9freak; 07-07-2008 at 06:24 AM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs