Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 09:28 AM

61 posts, read 173,845 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I have been doing a lot of researching, got hooked on your threads and found this community to be very friendly. My family and I are closing up business, packing up the wagon and moving out of CA. The economy and costs are just driving us crazy... we work very hard and it is too hot for all these costs!

I live in San Diego, I have a nice big family: 18 year old boy-girl twins and a 20 year old daughter. We have our best friend, she is 30, 2 trained German Shepherds and of course to top it off, 2 cats.

My son, friend and I are in the IT profession. My daughter wants to go to Bethal. My husband was a Chief Engineer for skyscrapers. We enjoy the outdoors, animals and people.

I am seriously considering COS as I have read up on economy, weather, jobs and communities. Is it correct that the techcnology industry is fine there? Can my young adults find some nice groups in between their college courses and jobs (they are shy and late bloomers)? We are all actually very excited about your city. So much, that I am coming out the first week of September to get lost in your city, check out jobs and look for a rental (north is sounding nice by the threads).

Does anyone have some knowledge on jobs for us? Any advice or comparison to SO Cal? Any tips for this animal/family?

I appreciate any at all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 09:52 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,954,506 times
Most jobs here are pretty much in the defense contracting sector...lots of IT jobs there...I'm in it myself. This is a pretty good site for finding work: Colorado Jobs

Then, of course, there are the usual suspects like Monster and Dice. Also look at the individual company websites...Northrop Grumman, Lockheed Martin, L3, Booz-Allan-Hamilton, Computer Sciences Corporation (CSC), Integral, Boeing, SAIC, etc. There are some commercial IT jobs around as well. Security clearances are a golden ticket, but if you don't have on already, that doesn't mean you can't get on though. It just makes it a little easier.

Good luck in your search!

Old 08-19-2008, 10:11 AM

Thanks!

Do you know how one gets a security clearance? I had one in ancient times... think I just a got a job and they gave me one... I was young!

Do you know if Building/Facility Engineers are hired in DoD facilties? Maybe my husband should get one too..... hmmm

Old 08-20-2008, 03:25 PM

26,209 posts, read 49,017,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netmom View Post
Thanks!

Do you know how one gets a security clearance? I had one in ancient times... think I just a got a job and they gave me one... I was young!

Do you know if Building/Facility Engineers are hired in DoD facilties? Maybe my husband should get one too..... hmmm
Clearance process starts upon hiring. Former clearance may be a plus. Use the Search tool with keywords like: clearance, intel, saic, lockheed, boeing, etc, to find old threads related to defense jobs and clearances.

Old 08-20-2008, 03:36 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,181,500 times
Quote:
My daughter wants to go to Bethal.
What/where is Bethal? A small town in Africa was the main google occurence for it.

Old 08-20-2008, 03:39 PM

252 posts, read 925,907 times
If you're looking for DoD building/facility eningeers jobs go to USAJOBS - Job Search. Enter that info into your search for CO and you'll get a list of available jobs. I've worked DoD for almost 30 years and that field is always open in some fashion or another. You can also look on ACPOL/CPOL Homepage: Army Civilian Personnel On-Line but that's only Army jobs. There's a lot of military growth going on in Colorado Springs, so I think you got a good shot at it. If the DoD hires you, they'll more than likely pay the sizable fee to get your clearance. Good Luck

Old 08-20-2008, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
What/where is Bethal? A small town in Africa was the main google occurence for it.
That's UCCS's nursing school.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:35 AM

Thanks everyone! Yep, the College also has a Forensics Scientist/Chemistry program. And you guys (CO) have a good stipend to apply financially.

Thanks for all the data on jobs So helpful. I may have more questions when I look all this up.

I am coming out next week to see you! I am excited. I bet your state is beautiful this time of year.

Does it get cold enough for snow boots during your coldest times? Like drifts of snow or muddy mess?

Old 08-21-2008, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Thanks everyone! Yep, the College also has a Forensics Scientist/Chemistry program. And you guys (CO) have a good stipend to apply financially.

Thanks for all the data on jobs So helpful. I may have more questions when I look all this up.

I am coming out next week to see you! I am excited. I bet your state is beautiful this time of year.

Does it get cold enough for snow boots during your coldest times? Like drifts of snow or muddy mess?
Sometimes we do and sometimes we don't, but yea we do get times when drifts and the snow hangs around. Snow boots are a good thing to have in any case. Most of the time, though, it snows then melts by the afternoon or next day. Don't even try to keep your car clean here....

Old 08-23-2008, 09:14 PM

1,331 posts, read 5,081,717 times
Forensic classes hey??
My across the street neighbor (I call her Dr. Deb) just moved to Texas (gulf coast)...her home is for sale and, she will rent it out in 5 months if it doesn't sell (it won't by the way, with the market and all) anyway.............she is a forensic pathologist..just stopped her job in COS and Wichita Kansas.??
So I know there is at least 1 opening!!!!!!!!!!!
Go for it if that's what you are hinting about!!!!!!! Takes a "special" person, YES???
I think that COS will be just fine for you and your family. It is definitely a nice place for anyone, any age and, any career!! Yep!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs