Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2009, 04:16 PM

13 posts, read 22,058 times

Advertisements

My husband got a great offer to move back to COS after we have been in FL (outside Jacksonville) for the past 6 years. He will be a civilian working at Ft. Carson and I am a stay at home mom. Our kids are currently in Kindgergarten and 5th grade. The area we used to live in was Norwood near Scott Elementary. I've only been back to COS once for a couple of days this past summer and alot seems to have changed. Not sure if that same area would be the best choice for us anymore.

If we manage to sell our house here in FL we would be looking in the low to mid $300K price range. Or, renting a house ($1500-$2000 per month). Our priority would be schools (public). On that note, I recall when we lived there before, there was a "waiting list" just to get into Scott Elementary....does that same situation still apply at the better schools??

My kindergartener is "special needs" and is currently in the ESE (exceptional education program) at our school here (but he is integrated into a regular classroom, with speech, OT and educational aide on the side)....are any schools better than others for special needs students?

Also, we've gotten used to a "planned community" type atmosphere with schools, parks and shopping very close together (ie walking distance)...any areas like that? And, of course, an area with lots of kids, friendly neighbors, stay at home moms, etc..but where houses have a little space between them (we used to live in a real "fishbowl" up in Norwood We liked the Mountain Shadows and Northwest areas before, but dont' know if they've changed in 6 years.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! THANKS!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 04:57 PM

54 posts, read 146,655 times
Hi back2cos!

I have great news, Norwood is still looking great. I'm a real estate agent, but most importantly, I live in Norwood. I have a 1st grader, 7th grader, and 9th grader and have been very pleased with the schools. Coming up in a week is a D11 meeting for boundary changes so depending on where you were before, it may be different here soon. My sister-in-law worked with Special Needs at Martinez Elementary and I believe they had 4-5 staff members and I'm sure its still well staffed. If near Scott elementary is the type of community you were used to before, there are several more similar planned communities that you will feel comfortable with. There is a new school maybe 3 miles away called Freedom in Wagon Trails, that may be something to look into.
Moderator cut: sorry, no soliciting on the forum

Last edited by katzenfreund; 03-11-2009 at 09:39 PM..

Old 03-11-2009, 07:58 PM

6,824 posts, read 10,522,918 times
D11 is particularly known for being strong for special needs students of all types. Mountain Shadows is still a quiet, great neighborhood from what I know - it isn't too far from where I teach.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:23 PM

26 posts, read 89,672 times
Default live where you work, take care of kids at home

CoSpgs, while I have not officially lived there yet (looked a couple of years ago, looking again right now, visit quite often), to me is just an all-around diverse town, family oriented, ironically I think loads more tolerant than Denver area claims to be (I'm there right now), and has that wonderous 'conservative' feel that we're all needing to get back to.

What I would suggest -- and I always favor this in my own life -- is live near where you work! Especially since you're a self-described stay-at-home mom -- and there are far too few of those today, and very fortunate and wise are you -- it should like so totally not matter what school district you are in! Love and example and education from the heart at home is worth more than any school could provide. I know it might sound idealistic, but I think if you think and feel about this, you'll know exactly what I mean. How about some home schooling???

So keep hubby close to the job, so he's in a safer, shorter commute and can spend more time at home w/ you and the little ones. Doesn't that sound nice!? Best of luck!

Old 03-13-2009, 10:29 PM

6,824 posts, read 10,522,918 times
Live near where you work is a good idea. There are many nice neighborhoods around Ft. Carson - from Broadmoor Bluffs to Security/Widefield/Fountain to Southgate.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:37 AM

54 posts, read 146,655 times
So taking the great advice from Americana1st and Otowi about living closer to Ft. Carson and knowing that you are looking for the daytime at home mom activities and a planned development, you could go Southwest as well as South Powers corridor. Check Cheyenne Mountain area as well as Soaring Eagles, or Sand Creek. Also, since it's been some time since you have been here, you would be pleasantly surprised at how Fountain (south end of Power to Fountain Mesa and Mesa Rd.) has developed with the new homes.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:27 AM

565 posts, read 1,847,990 times
If you decide to rent in the $1500-$2000 price range, you can find $500,000+ homes here in Colorado Springs.

High End (D20 or Monument schools):
$800K home renting for $2000/mo 5acres: Rental Home in Colorado Springs, CO 80921 - $2000 per month (http://www.rentals.com/Home-Rentals/Display.aspx?ListingNumber=885559 - broken link)
Another high end home $2000/mo: Rental Home in Colorado Springs, CO 80921 - $2000 per month (http://www.rentals.com/Home-Rentals/Display.aspx?ListingNumber=883148 - broken link)
Cordera home $1975/mo (d20 elementary school in neighborhood teaches Mandarin Chinese, Cordera area oriented toward families with young kids - under 11 years): Rental Home in Colorado Springs, CO 80924 - $1975 per month (http://www.rentals.com/Home-Rentals/Display.aspx?ListingNumber=881202 - broken link)
Monument home on 2.5 acres $1995/mo: Rental Home in Monument, CO 80132 - $1995 per month (http://www.rentals.com/Home-Rentals/Display.aspx?ListingNumber=793251 - broken link)

Near Ft. Carson (on the west side D12 schools):
4 bed, 3.5 bath $1549/mo: Rental Home in Colorado Springs, CO 80906 - $1549 per month (http://www.rentals.com/Home-Rentals/Display.aspx?ListingNumber=855561 - broken link)
Broadmoor Bluffs 5+ bed, 4 bath $1900/mo: Rental Home in Colroado Springs, CO 80906 - $1950 per month (http://www.rentals.com/Home-Rentals/Display.aspx?ListingNumber=880410 - broken link)
Broadmoor home on Cheyenne Mtn with forest 4 bed, 4 bath: Rental Home in Colorado Springs, CO 80906 - $1950 per month

Last edited by reginhild; 03-19-2009 at 12:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs