Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support 1 A?
YES 9 50.00%
NO 9 50.00%
Not sure 0 0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 09:42 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,489,440 times

Advertisements

Question 1A would extend a property tax that sunsets at the end of the year. Supporters say it will generate more than $3 million annually to create jobs, but opponents say it amounts to corporate welfare.

Do you support it if so why if not why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 12:44 PM

553 posts, read 1,637,896 times
No. Mostly because I haven't seen a concrete plan listing HOW the measure will create jobs.

I think you need to have the plan before you ask the taxpayers for the money. Just because it's the continuation of an otherwise expiring tax doesn't mean it's not a "new" tax.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:55 PM

Maybe 1 A is not the answer but you guys need a new economic development plan the one you have now is not working as well as it should.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:20 PM

121 posts, read 452,971 times
Yes, I support it. Homeowners who don't want to continue paying the $10 per $200k home value can otherwise hopefully put that $10 to good use when their job leaves town!

We do need an improved economic development plan. We have lost too many jobs in the past few years to other cities. Things that the $3M+ this will bring could have solved may have kept those jobs in CS, and it could help to bring new jobs here in the future.

Since each company considering coming (or leaving) Colorado Springs has unique circumstances, the only way to "plan" to spend the money is review it case by case and have a body in place to determine what is best for CS.

"The referendum establishes a 5 person Board as part of the decision making process. The Board will review funding requests for their merit, develop measurable performance requirements that a company will have to reach, and provide recommendations to the City Council which will thoughtfully determine if the funds should be used for the purpose. The system is designed to be accountable and transparent to ensure that all parties exercise good stewardship in the use of these funds."

Old 03-30-2009, 10:17 PM

2,221 posts, read 5,298,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love colo summers View Post
Yes, I support it. Homeowners who don't want to continue paying the $10 per $200k home value can otherwise hopefully put that $10 to good use when their job leaves town!
No, I voted against it.

The idea that this agency would prevent anyone's job from leaving town is pretty goofy.

To say that this bill does not raise taxes is a lie, too. It doesn't impose more tax load than we have right now, but it does impose more tax load that what we would have if the old tax were allowed to expire. People should remember this sort of chicanery the next time somebody asks them to approve a "temporary" tax for anything. We've seen several items on the ballot in the last six months that continue an expiring tax beyond its original life with the LIE that it is not a tax increase written at the front of the text in the ballot initiative.

I don't believe that this is an effective way to enhance employment. Businesses care much more about how they will be taxed, the kind of talent pool available, and whether or not their operations will be subject to the negative impact of a militant treehugging Birkenstock Brigade.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:57 PM

PBR and HP and Vesta's and the usaf among many many many more would disagree with you!

Old 03-30-2009, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
PBR and HP and Vesta's and the usaf among many many many more would disagree with you!
I know quite a bit about how Doss Aviation got the contract for USAF flight screening, and it had precious little to do with paid community lobbying.

My experience with groups like that is that they actually do very little for the money we waste on them, but they are always to be found out front taking credit for things that would have happened without them. They end up being self-serving PR machines whose primary purpose is to pat themselves on the back in the most publicly conspicuous manner possible to justify their continued existence..

Old 03-30-2009, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from down south View Post
I know quite a bit about how Doss Aviation got the contract for USAF flight screening, and it had precious little to do with paid community lobbying.

My experience with groups like that is that they actually do very little for the money we waste on them, but they are always to be found out front taking credit for things that would have happened without them. They end up being self-serving PR machines whose primary purpose is to pat themselves on the back in the most publicly conspicuous manner possible to justify their continued existence..
As they say the proof is in the pudding and lately Pueblo is always announcing new companies and the Springs is losing them. As you say Pueblo is not a great town so what's the difference, we have a 1/2 cent sales tax for primary jobs and the Springs does not.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
As they say the proof is in the pudding and lately Pueblo is always announcing new companies and the Springs is losing them. As you say Pueblo is not a great town so what's the difference, we have a 1/2 cent sales tax for primary jobs and the Springs does not.
Well, the unemployment rate in Pueblo has gone higher faster than UE in Colorado Springs, so I simply don't buy into your constantly repeated theme that you're doing it better down there in [mod cut]. Just because you say it 1000 times a day doesn't make it anything close to true.

And your PR machine is busy doing things like making an inordinately big deal about small developments like 140 jobs in a water bottling plant phased in over 3.5 years. Yeah, OK, it's better than nothing, but it's not major impact. We don't run the flag up the pole up here for that kind of stuff...and the stats support the assertion that you are not outperforming the Springs in employment opportunites.

Last edited by katzenfreund; 03-31-2009 at 03:12 PM.. Reason: inappropriate

Old 04-02-2009, 03:26 PM

Like I said vote against it that's fine with me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs